A silver at World Junior event takes blind chess player Soundarya Pradhan into the history books!
August 25, 2018
It is a proud moment for Indian chess. Soundarya Pradhan has gone into the record books by winning the silver medal at the World Junior for Blind and Visually Impaired 2018. The event was held in Poland from 14 to 23 August 2018.
What makes this special is that this is the best performance by a visually impaired player from India at the World Junior event. Earlier, Darpan Inani won the bronze at the World Juniors 2013.
18-year-old Soundarya, who is from Odisha, is an achiever in every sense of the word. Though he is 100% blind from birth, she is an accomplished chess player as well as good at academics.
He is a rank holder at the National Institute of Technology (NIT) in Jamshedpur, where he currently studies.
Soundarya has earlier won the Hyderabad FIDE Rating Open Chess tournament for the blind in 2012 as well as the 2013 Kolkata FIDE Rating Open Chess tournament for the blind.
His brother, Prachaurya, is also an accomplished chess player. In fact it was his brother who first taught Soundarya the little steps that can help win a game. Soundarya also gives credit to his family and his school for giving him the necessary support to pursue the game.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Share funding details, court tells political parties
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News