A silver at World Junior event takes blind chess player Soundarya Pradhan into the history books!
It is a proud moment for Indian chess. Soundarya Pradhan has gone into the record books by winning the silver medal at the World Junior for Blind and Visually Impaired 2018. The event was held in Poland from 14 to 23 August 2018.
What makes this special is that this is the best performance by a visually impaired player from India at the World Junior event. Earlier, Darpan Inani won the bronze at the World Juniors 2013.
18-year-old Soundarya, who is from Odisha, is an achiever in every sense of the word. Though he is 100% blind from birth, she is an accomplished chess player as well as good at academics.
He is a rank holder at the National Institute of Technology (NIT) in Jamshedpur, where he currently studies.
Soundarya has earlier won the Hyderabad FIDE Rating Open Chess tournament for the blind in 2012 as well as the 2013 Kolkata FIDE Rating Open Chess tournament for the blind.
His brother, Prachaurya, is also an accomplished chess player. In fact it was his brother who first taught Soundarya the little steps that can help win a game. Soundarya also gives credit to his family and his school for giving him the necessary support to pursue the game.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019