Get set for the Boccia National Team Championships starting next month in Chennai!
Boccia is recognized as a Paralympic sport and is gaining quite a lot of popularity in India as well. Which explains the excitement over the Boccia National Team Championships scheduled to be held in Adventure Zone Madurandakam near Chennai on 8 and 9 September.
The event is being organized by Ektha Foundation, an organization that promotes the rights of people with developmental disabilities.
Boccia involves a white ball called a jack and two sets of red and blue balls. The goal is to throw the coloured balls as close as possible to the white jack. Use of assistive aids such as ramps for people with severe disabilities is permitted.
Twenty teams will participate in a league cum knock out format. There will be a total of 48 matches held. It is important to promote this game as this is the only game that can be played by persons with developmental disabilities - Rajiv Rajan, Executive Director, Ektha Foundation
Through such events, Ektha Foundation hopes to eventually see India sending a Boccia team for the Paralympics in 2020.
Among the players taking part in the championships is Lakshmi V S, who is a regular. "I love it very much and I go every Saturday to play. I am so excited about the championship and looking forward to it."
There are plans to build greater popularity by exposing the game to a wider audience and a few special schools.
Watch in Sign Language
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
- Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajasthan Royals will wear pink this IPL season
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Headlines February 13, 2019 17 people killed in fire that broke out at Delhi hotel
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajinikanth’s daughter Soundarya gets married
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019