Get set for the Boccia National Team Championships starting next month in Chennai!
August 26, 2018
Boccia is recognized as a Paralympic sport and is gaining quite a lot of popularity in India as well. Which explains the excitement over the Boccia National Team Championships scheduled to be held in Adventure Zone Madurandakam near Chennai on 8 and 9 September.
The event is being organized by Ektha Foundation, an organization that promotes the rights of people with developmental disabilities.
Boccia involves a white ball called a jack and two sets of red and blue balls. The goal is to throw the coloured balls as close as possible to the white jack. Use of assistive aids such as ramps for people with severe disabilities is permitted.
Twenty teams will participate in a league cum knock out format. There will be a total of 48 matches held. It is important to promote this game as this is the only game that can be played by persons with developmental disabilities - Rajiv Rajan, Executive Director, Ektha Foundation
Through such events, Ektha Foundation hopes to eventually see India sending a Boccia team for the Paralympics in 2020.
Among the players taking part in the championships is Lakshmi V S, who is a regular. "I love it very much and I go every Saturday to play. I am so excited about the championship and looking forward to it."
There are plans to build greater popularity by exposing the game to a wider audience and a few special schools.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 11, 2019 Rich tributes paid to veteran actor Girish Karnad
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
- Get-hooked June 10, 2019 Accept, Respect, Empower each other - Guest Column by Tapas Bharadwaj
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 Tyre maker Goodyear partners with NAB to conduct road safety training in Delhi for blind people
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Supreme Court orders release of arrested journalist
- Events June 11, 2019 25th World Cardiology Conference
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Dark Pheonix brings alive the magic of Stan Lee's superheroes yet again
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News