Get set for the Boccia National Team Championships starting next month in Chennai!
August 26, 2018
Boccia is recognized as a Paralympic sport and is gaining quite a lot of popularity in India as well. Which explains the excitement over the Boccia National Team Championships scheduled to be held in Adventure Zone Madurandakam near Chennai on 8 and 9 September.
The event is being organized by Ektha Foundation, an organization that promotes the rights of people with developmental disabilities.
Boccia involves a white ball called a jack and two sets of red and blue balls. The goal is to throw the coloured balls as close as possible to the white jack. Use of assistive aids such as ramps for people with severe disabilities is permitted.
Twenty teams will participate in a league cum knock out format. There will be a total of 48 matches held. It is important to promote this game as this is the only game that can be played by persons with developmental disabilities - Rajiv Rajan, Executive Director, Ektha Foundation
Through such events, Ektha Foundation hopes to eventually see India sending a Boccia team for the Paralympics in 2020.
Among the players taking part in the championships is Lakshmi V S, who is a regular. "I love it very much and I go every Saturday to play. I am so excited about the championship and looking forward to it."
There are plans to build greater popularity by exposing the game to a wider audience and a few special schools.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 Shubhajit aims to enter history books as first double arm amputee to complete Bengaluru-Ladakh bike ride
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News