These aspiring wheelchair basketball players had a gala time at this coaching camp!
24 year old Insha Bashir has been on a wheelchair since 2009. She fell from the third floor of her family home which was under construction which affected her spinal cord, making her rely on a wheelchair for the rest of her life. But a disability has not dampened the spirits of this young woman. She is indeed the epitome of will-power, determination and courage. Just like the 30 odd disabled players who attended the wheelchair basketball workshop at Srinagar!
Apart from the two dozen male aspiring basketball players, there were four females too. Most of them had met with accidents leaving them disabled for life. In Jammu & Kashmir which is often struck by wars and attacks, these youngsters hope to create their own space of happiness!
Insha, who is also a wheelchair basketball coach, recollects how she fought depression post her accident. The young girl says that her family also had to undergo a lot of trauma due to her disability. She thought that her life had come to an end. That is when she decided to take up basketball. The sport has changed her for the good. Now she leads and new and happy life.
To top it, the organization Shafqat Rehabilitation Centre (VMS-SRC) at Srinagar, helped her come out of her cocoon shell. Now she is a butterfly, all ready to spread her wings and fly!
All aspiring wheelchair basketball players at the coaching camp had their own stories to share. The wonders that a sport does to disabled people are many. After all, a disability is never a deterrent to reach for the stars.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 9, 2019 Udaan Idol Little Champs, Radio Udaan's annual music competition for disabled kids attracts huge response
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Patients find centre stage in competencies aimed to develop disability-inclusive compassionate care
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Events February 12, 2019 Empowering for Inclusion Summit 2019
- Headlines February 10, 2019 Impure alcohol kills 82 in U.P, Uttarakhand
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019