Surat Passport Office shows the way, makes it easier for disabled people to get passports
August 27, 2018
Getting a passport when you are a person with a disability can be quite hard. Access is a major issue and lack of support from passport officials is another major hurdle.
Just last year, Subbalakshmi and R S Rallapalli, an elderly couple in Andhra Pradesh, started an online petition after they were unable to get passports for their disabled daughters. Their daughters, who have polio, were unable to visit the passport office and this was used to deny them the documents.
It was also only after External Affairs Minister, Sushma Swaraj intervened that officials from the regional passport office came to their house and the daughters got their passports at their home.
Now, the Surat Passport Office is showing the rest of India the way forward. They have made it hassle-free for people with disabilities to get their passports.
In the last few days, 51 people have been issued passports and their passport fees were sponsored by a local cooperative bank.
By finding sponsors who can pay the fees, officials are hoping to bring more disabled people into the mainstream. This way they can take part in events like the Paralympic games as well as go for student exchange programs in other countries.
The initiative has many challenges. One, there is no clear database of how many disabled people there are in south Gujarat. Two, many of them are too poor to afford the passport fees.
They are planning to overcome this by getting the numbers from local NGOs so the database can be updated. They have also reached out to officials at the Varachha Cooperative Bank to pay the fees of disabled people from its corporate social responsibility fund.
A wonderful initiative to promote inclusion that can be easily followed across India.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Mumbaikar Karan Shahh honoured with Bharat Prerna Award 2019
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Dhoni gets government support on gloves issue
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan out of World Cup due to injury
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Providing service with care & compassion is the mantra for Walktors At Home
- Get-hooked June 13, 2019 Feeling body positive when you have a disability
- Get-hooked June 10, 2019 Budding poet Neerada uses words to shatter notions about autism
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Outrage over Pakistani ad mocking Indian pilot
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News