Eye tracking technology is enabling people with disabilities to lead independent lives
A self-made businessman, Vikraman runs multiple businesses in Trivandrum in printing, tours & travels, to name just a few. This September he will launch his dream project – a hotel near the airport.
Remarkable given that Vikraman, who is in his 60s, has motor neurone disease, which is incurable. He is bedridden, cannot speak and breathes with the support of a tracheostomy tube.
All this is happening thanks to Tobii Dynavox I -15+ series, an eye tracking technology that enables him to work and run his business.
From the day I got this device things have been more easy for me and I am back to my actions. It helps me for all type of communications like meetings, mails and even with my family. I am now more independent – Vikraman, Businessman
Tobii Dynavox, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Tobii AB, Sweden, whose India partner is WTMB.. It is the leading global provider of eye-tracking and gaze interaction-based Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) devices.
These help improve the lives of people with disabilities by enabling them to communicate, control their environment and gain greater independence through their eyes.
How it works
Gaze interaction is a computer access method that allows disabled people to control their computer with their eyes. Quite like how the mouse works for a regular computer user.
All it needs is the movement of the eye, other muscles are not involved. This makes it an ideal solution for people with rehabilitative disabilities like paralysis, spinal cord injury & motor disabilities.
It has changed the life of not just Vikraman, but also the life of Ganga, a disabled child at Kolkata orphanage called Shishur Sevay. She is the first Tobii Dynavox user in India and the technology is enabling her to learn useful concepts.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Senior BJP leader makes offensive remarks about Mayawati
- Parasports January 22, 2019 “My blade are my wings to fly”- My Take by Sajesh Krishnan, Kerala’s first blade runner
- Parasports January 17, 2019 Kerala government move to hold marathon with disabled category welcomed
- Headlines January 17, 2019 Tributes for Dhoni after great show against Australia
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Get-hooked January 22, 2019 Workshop on children with ADHD, know more
- Events January 22, 2019 9th Hydrabad Fide Rating Chess Tournament for Visually Challenged, 2019
- Events January 18, 2019 Inclusive Zumba
- Headlines January 19, 2019 Tight security for women who entered Sabarimala
- Events January 20, 2019 Trinayani's 18th Inclusive Monthly Meetup
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Technology January 23, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News