Eye tracking technology is enabling people with disabilities to lead independent lives
A self-made businessman, Vikraman runs multiple businesses in Trivandrum in printing, tours & travels, to name just a few. This September he will launch his dream project – a hotel near the airport.
Remarkable given that Vikraman, who is in his 60s, has motor neurone disease, which is incurable. He is bedridden, cannot speak and breathes with the support of a tracheostomy tube.
All this is happening thanks to Tobii Dynavox I -15+ series, an eye tracking technology that enables him to work and run his business.
From the day I got this device things have been more easy for me and I am back to my actions. It helps me for all type of communications like meetings, mails and even with my family. I am now more independent – Vikraman, Businessman
Tobii Dynavox, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Tobii AB, Sweden, whose India partner is WTMB.. It is the leading global provider of eye-tracking and gaze interaction-based Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) devices.
These help improve the lives of people with disabilities by enabling them to communicate, control their environment and gain greater independence through their eyes.
How it works
Gaze interaction is a computer access method that allows disabled people to control their computer with their eyes. Quite like how the mouse works for a regular computer user.
All it needs is the movement of the eye, other muscles are not involved. This makes it an ideal solution for people with rehabilitative disabilities like paralysis, spinal cord injury & motor disabilities.
It has changed the life of not just Vikraman, but also the life of Ganga, a disabled child at Kolkata orphanage called Shishur Sevay. She is the first Tobii Dynavox user in India and the technology is enabling her to learn useful concepts.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 16, 2018 School, colleges shut in parts of Tamil Nadu ahead of Cyclone Gaja
- Parasports November 16, 2018 Help blind athletes achieve their best by funding sighted guides, says blind Paralympian Ankur Dhama
- Events November 15, 2018 Convention Against Sexual Assaults on Women with Disabilities
- Employment November 11, 2018 Career choices for people with autism
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Unni Maxx talks about his vacation at the paradise of South Africa
- Headlines November 11, 2018 Facebook launches TikTok like app called 'Lasso'
- Education November 14, 2018 Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Rohit Sharma in list of batsmen with over 200 boundaries in T20Is
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Air India pilot found drunk before flight
- Headlines November 10, 2018 Sabarimala remains turbulent as communal tenions continue
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News