Eye tracking technology is enabling people with disabilities to lead independent lives
September 27, 2018
A self-made businessman, Vikraman runs multiple businesses in Trivandrum in printing, tours & travels, to name just a few. This September he will launch his dream project - a hotel near the airport.
Remarkable given that Vikraman, who is in his 60s, has motor neurone disease, which is incurable. He is bedridden, cannot speak and breathes with the support of a tracheostomy tube.
All this is happening thanks to Tobii Dynavox I -15+ series, an eye tracking technology that enables him to work and run his business.
From the day I got this device things have been more easy for me and I am back to my actions. It helps me for all type of communications like meetings, mails and even with my family. I am now more independent - Vikraman, Businessman
Tobii Dynavox, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Tobii AB, Sweden, whose India partner is WTMB.. It is the leading global provider of eye-tracking and gaze interaction-based Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) devices.
These help improve the lives of people with disabilities by enabling them to communicate, control their environment and gain greater independence through their eyes.
How it works
Gaze interaction is a computer access method that allows disabled people to control their computer with their eyes. Quite like how the mouse works for a regular computer user.
All it needs is the movement of the eye, other muscles are not involved. This makes it an ideal solution for people with rehabilitative disabilities like paralysis, spinal cord injury & motor disabilities.
It has changed the life of not just Vikraman, but also the life of Ganga, a disabled child at Kolkata orphanage called Shishur Sevay. She is the first Tobii Dynavox user in India and the technology is enabling her to learn useful concepts.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays – Kibo XS, world’s 1st intelligent personalised scanning & reading companion
August 22, 2019
- #InclusionChamps – Prashant Gade wins Universal Design Award 2019 for Inali Arm
August 22, 2019
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Chandrayaan-2 enters Moon’s orbit
- Events August 21, 2019 Ageing with Grace Workshop for Seniors
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
- Get-Hooked August 21, 2019 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Understanding Autism and Head banging
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Heavy rains bring down temperatures in Delhi
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Death toll rises in monsoon fury at Himachal Pradesh
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Narendra Modi speaks to Donald Trump
- Parasports August 22, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
- Headlines August 16, 2019 PM Modi's Independence Day address - Key points
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News