Reel life story of disabled Indian hockey captain will now inspire global audiences
August 26, 2018
Hindi films on people with disabilities are getting noticed globally.
First, it was Hichki starring Rani Mukherji that was honoured at the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM) earlier this year. The film is about a teacher who does not let Tourette syndrome come in the way of her dreams.
Now its the turn of Soorma by director Shaad Ali to be recognised. The film has been entered for the Bollywood Film Festival in Norway.
Starring Diljit Dosanjh, Taapsee Pannu, Angad Bedi and Vijay Raaz, it is the official selection at the festival, which starts on 7 September. Soorma will be screened on 8 September.
The film is inspired from the life incidents of Indian hockey player and former captain of the Indian national team, Sandeep Singh.
The film tells the story of the amazing comeback made by Singh after he was left disabled in a shooting accident 12 years ago. Singh was shot while he was travelling in a train, after which the hockey player was paralysed for two years.
He did not let this get him down. His determination and love for the game brought him back and he won several medals for India.
The film has been shot in his hometown Shahabad to capture the real essence of his struggle and the journey to become the hockey legend. Soorma has been praised by Bollywood celebrities and critics.
There were special screenings of Soorma at some schools across India and the Paraplegic Rehabilitation Center in Pune for the soldiers. There was also a special show for Sachin Tendulkar, who said he never knew about Singh's inspiring story.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Don't play too safe with your money, look at ways to invest smartly
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Headlines April 11, 2019 Rahul Gandhi files nomination from Amethi
- Events April 11, 2019 Sibling Gathering
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Events April 11, 2019 The Autism Webinars | Occupational Therapy & Sensory Integration
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News