Reel life story of disabled Indian hockey captain will now inspire global audiences
August 26, 2018
Hindi films on people with disabilities are getting noticed globally.
First, it was Hichki starring Rani Mukherji that was honoured at the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM) earlier this year. The film is about a teacher who does not let Tourette syndrome come in the way of her dreams.
Now its the turn of Soorma by director Shaad Ali to be recognised. The film has been entered for the Bollywood Film Festival in Norway.
Starring Diljit Dosanjh, Taapsee Pannu, Angad Bedi and Vijay Raaz, it is the official selection at the festival, which starts on 7 September. Soorma will be screened on 8 September.
The film is inspired from the life incidents of Indian hockey player and former captain of the Indian national team, Sandeep Singh.
The film tells the story of the amazing comeback made by Singh after he was left disabled in a shooting accident 12 years ago. Singh was shot while he was travelling in a train, after which the hockey player was paralysed for two years.
He did not let this get him down. His determination and love for the game brought him back and he won several medals for India.
The film has been shot in his hometown Shahabad to capture the real essence of his struggle and the journey to become the hockey legend. Soorma has been praised by Bollywood celebrities and critics.
There were special screenings of Soorma at some schools across India and the Paraplegic Rehabilitation Center in Pune for the soldiers. There was also a special show for Sachin Tendulkar, who said he never knew about Singh's inspiring story.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Mumbaikar Karan Shahh honoured with Bharat Prerna Award 2019
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
- Get-hooked June 13, 2019 Feeling body positive when you have a disability
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Outrage over Pakistani ad mocking Indian pilot
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Maldives confers Modi with highest honour
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Supreme Court orders release of arrested journalist
- Education June 10, 2019 Kidsville Educational Academy offers a shoulder to children with disabilities, & families too
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News