Ektha Foundation is working to being greater visibility to people with neurological disabilities
August 28, 2018
Founded in April 2000, the Ektha Foundation reaches out to people with neurological impairments. At the time, there was no group or organization looking into the needs of people with neurological disabilities.
Given how people with such impairments are marginalized even within the disability sector, a need was felt to start an organization dedicated to their needs and rights.
Also, the needs of people with neurological impairments are different from those other disabled people, so this became a critical need.
Their voices are not even heard in the disability sector leave alone the general community. Their needs are different because neurologically impaired people have multiple disabilities and no single person with neurological impairment is similar to another person with neurological impairment. - Rajiv Rajan, Co-founder, Ektha Foundation
The nature of the disability varies from case to case for people with neurological impairments. In some, they are cognitively affected, while in others, the disability is so severe that even venturing out is not easy.
Their isolation and neglect is quite evident in the fact that even in self-help groups of disabled people, the neurologically impaired are not involved.
Today, the Ektha Foundation is a part of many national and international networks. These include Disability Rights Alliance India, Vikalp Sangam, Para Sports Foundation, and the Asia Pacific Disabled People's Organisation-United.
Ektha is also involved in a big way in promoting the popularity of Boccia, the only sport that can be played by people with developmental disabilities. They are organising a Boccia National Championship in Chennai next month.
Ektha Foundation's goal is to send a team from India for the 2020 Paralympics. To get more people hooked to the game, Ektha organizes Boccia competitions in special schools.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Celebrate Autism Pride Day, every day
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Love, Marriage & Disability - couples share their stories
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Events June 17, 2019 Miss & Mister Deaf Stars 2019
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 These surprise gift boxes by Little Trovebox has people hooked
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News