Sumanth Training Centre lends a helping hand for children with all kinds of disabilities
August 29, 2018
28-year-old Loka Sumanth Reddy is an inspiration to all of us. This youngster heads the Sumanth Training Center in Hyderabad. And what makes this remarkable is that Sumanth has a mental disability.
The centre empowers children with various kinds of disabilities. The special educators not only teach them the basics of education but also give them critical life skills to face the competitive world out there. All this under the guidance of Sumanth!
The centre was launched in 2017 by Sumanth's father Sudarshan Reddy. Sumanth was fortunate to be given the opportunity to study and graduated in psychology, sociology and philosophy. But his father knew that this was not the case for everyone with a disability.
This led to the idea for the Sumanth Training Center. The aim was to give such opportunities to children with various kinds of disabilities. There is a day care centre facility here as well.
Currently, there are over 25 children and six special educators at the center in Hyderabad. The kids are between the ages of 6 to 14 years. Most of the children are accompanied by a guardian or their mothers. This way the children can be trained at homes as well.
We have separate rooms for children with different disabilities because their needs are different. When we provide them with special toys and other special learning materials, it helps them to think and get a better insight into things around them. All these children are unique. But they are denied admission in schools with regular children- Loka Suraj Reddy, Vice-President, Sumanth Training Centre.
Currently, the training centre is running successfully under Sumanth's guidance. Apart from donning the role of a director, he is a mentor and teacher to many disabled children.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News