Are you dating a wheelchair user? Check out these tips!
Dating someone on a wheelchair can be a wee bit different. For instance, calling them ‘heroes’ or ‘super humans’ is only going to make you look awkward! But a wee bit of sensitivity is only going to help.
21 year old Joshua Reeves is a wheelchair user. Just like any other youngster of today, this guy is also on the dating app Tinder. He has even defined his profile saying me and my wheels will give you feels! Joshua says that he has casual conversations with young women in the app. But once they realise that he is a wheelchair user, they go cold.
Hence, Joshua has penned down a few tips to help and guide you if you are dating a wheelchair user.
- Love a person for what they are. Nobody needs sympathies!
- Mobility will be different for wheelchair users. But that does not mean that they have to be treated differently. Just treat them normally.
- When you go with a person with no disability, how do you treat them? Treat a wheelchair user the same way.
- Do not show sympathies. No one needs to be constantly reminded that they are superheroes.
- Do not ask a wheelchair user where their carer is. Wheelchair users are independent just like anyone amongst us.
- Mainly, if you feel comfortable with the person, go with the flow. Do not be scared to take it to the next level. Maybe you just found the soul mate for life!
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
- Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
February 17, 2019
- #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajasthan Royals will wear pink this IPL season
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi launches mega poll rally in U.P
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News