Are you dating a wheelchair user? Check out these tips!
August 28, 2018
Dating someone on a wheelchair can be a wee bit different. For instance, calling them 'heroes' or 'super humans' is only going to make you look awkward! But a wee bit of sensitivity is only going to help.
21 year old Joshua Reeves is a wheelchair user. Just like any other youngster of today, this guy is also on the dating app Tinder. He has even defined his profile saying me and my wheels will give you feels! Joshua says that he has casual conversations with young women in the app. But once they realise that he is a wheelchair user, they go cold.
Hence, Joshua has penned down a few tips to help and guide you if you are dating a wheelchair user.
- Love a person for what they are. Nobody needs sympathies!
- Mobility will be different for wheelchair users. But that does not mean that they have to be treated differently. Just treat them normally.
- When you go with a person with no disability, how do you treat them? Treat a wheelchair user the same way.
- Do not show sympathies. No one needs to be constantly reminded that they are superheroes.
- Do not ask a wheelchair user where their carer is. Wheelchair users are independent just like anyone amongst us.
- Mainly, if you feel comfortable with the person, go with the flow. Do not be scared to take it to the next level. Maybe you just found the soul mate for life!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News