Are you dating a wheelchair user? Check out these tips!
August 28, 2018
Dating someone on a wheelchair can be a wee bit different. For instance, calling them 'heroes' or 'super humans' is only going to make you look awkward! But a wee bit of sensitivity is only going to help.
21 year old Joshua Reeves is a wheelchair user. Just like any other youngster of today, this guy is also on the dating app Tinder. He has even defined his profile saying me and my wheels will give you feels! Joshua says that he has casual conversations with young women in the app. But once they realise that he is a wheelchair user, they go cold.
Hence, Joshua has penned down a few tips to help and guide you if you are dating a wheelchair user.
- Love a person for what they are. Nobody needs sympathies!
- Mobility will be different for wheelchair users. But that does not mean that they have to be treated differently. Just treat them normally.
- When you go with a person with no disability, how do you treat them? Treat a wheelchair user the same way.
- Do not show sympathies. No one needs to be constantly reminded that they are superheroes.
- Do not ask a wheelchair user where their carer is. Wheelchair users are independent just like anyone amongst us.
- Mainly, if you feel comfortable with the person, go with the flow. Do not be scared to take it to the next level. Maybe you just found the soul mate for life!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Abilympics 2019 is an opportunity for disabled people to show their mettle
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Acid attack survivors hope SRK's support will lend greater focus to their campaign
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Events June 11, 2019 Nurturing The Green Week’ 2019 - World Environment day
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Celebrate Autism Pride Day, every day
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Events June 11, 2019 25th World Cardiology Conference
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 Tyre maker Goodyear partners with NAB to conduct road safety training in Delhi for blind people
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News