Ways to make your workplace more inclusive of employees with disabilities
Along with making workplaces in India more gender diverse, another aspect that is coming under emphasis is disability.
People with disabilities have been left out of the workplace for ages, which has led to a huge loss in terms of productive work hours and employable workforce.
Disability in India is regarded by many as an abnormality and many people feel uneasy around disabled employees as they are not sure how to treat them.
To prepare the ground for disabled employees to work comfortably, company heads must work actively to develop policies so they are utilised effectively.
So what are some of preliminary steps a company should take?
- Company must develop a working definition of disability. There are different types and degrees of disabilities and work can be allocated based on the job requirements.
- All employees must then be informed about the different types of disability and the correct way to engage with such employees. Isolation is a common reaction companies and the discomfort other employees feel leads them to avoid a disabled person. Efforts must be made by companies to provide support and integrate people with disabilities fully in the workplace.
- People are either dismissive or patronizing towards co-workers who have a physical or mental disability. Organizations should run training programs that focus on complete acceptance and equality. The training should provide examples of what makes for discriminatory behaviour. This will help disabled employees to recognize when they are being discriminated against and seek help.
- Organizations should improve infrastructure by revamping the building with - entry and exit ramps for wheelchairs, doors that will open with a switch, relocation of door swiping equipment, smooth passage inside the buildings, handrails on all ramps, renovated washrooms, cafeteria and lounge facilities to enable easy movement.
- Organizations must make an effort to identify positions that can be done by employees with different types of disabilities. Like jobs that need heavy lifting or constant physical effort might not suit someone with impaired limbs. The employee should be able to perform all essential functions for the job.
By including such changes, organizations will help disabled people to be productive members of society and the organization. The biggest challenge in India is that of attitude.
Watch in Sign Language
- Career choices for people with autism
November 11, 2018
- Career options for people with learning disabilities
November 9, 2018
- Some tips to manage the workplace for adults with ADHD
October 30, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events November 8, 2018 South India Level Blind Volleyball Tournament 2018
- Get-hooked November 7, 2018 Paris bus driver becomes social media darling for standing up for disabled passenger
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Cyclonic storm lashes coasts of Tamil Nadu, south Andhra
- Headlines November 8, 2018 Yogi Adityanath announces plans to build Ram statue in Ayodhya
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Sushmita Sen puts an end to marriage rumours on social media
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Marvel Comics creator Stan Lee dies at 95
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Some activities for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Get-hooked November 11, 2018 Stephen Hawking's wheelchair & thesis fetch over $1 million at auction
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Rohit Sharma in list of batsmen with over 200 boundaries in T20Is
- Get-hooked November 9, 2018 Arunima Sinha, first female amputee to climb Mount Everest, gets honorary doctorate in the UK
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Employment November 9, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 10, 2018