Ways to make your workplace more inclusive of employees with disabilities
Along with making workplaces in India more gender diverse, another aspect that is coming under emphasis is disability.
People with disabilities have been left out of the workplace for ages, which has led to a huge loss in terms of productive work hours and employable workforce.
Disability in India is regarded by many as an abnormality and many people feel uneasy around disabled employees as they are not sure how to treat them.
To prepare the ground for disabled employees to work comfortably, company heads must work actively to develop policies so they are utilised effectively.
So what are some of preliminary steps a company should take?
- Company must develop a working definition of disability. There are different types and degrees of disabilities and work can be allocated based on the job requirements.
- All employees must then be informed about the different types of disability and the correct way to engage with such employees. Isolation is a common reaction companies and the discomfort other employees feel leads them to avoid a disabled person. Efforts must be made by companies to provide support and integrate people with disabilities fully in the workplace.
- People are either dismissive or patronizing towards co-workers who have a physical or mental disability. Organizations should run training programs that focus on complete acceptance and equality. The training should provide examples of what makes for discriminatory behaviour. This will help disabled employees to recognize when they are being discriminated against and seek help.
- Organizations should improve infrastructure by revamping the building with - entry and exit ramps for wheelchairs, doors that will open with a switch, relocation of door swiping equipment, smooth passage inside the buildings, handrails on all ramps, renovated washrooms, cafeteria and lounge facilities to enable easy movement.
- Organizations must make an effort to identify positions that can be done by employees with different types of disabilities. Like jobs that need heavy lifting or constant physical effort might not suit someone with impaired limbs. The employee should be able to perform all essential functions for the job.
By including such changes, organizations will help disabled people to be productive members of society and the organization. The biggest challenge in India is that of attitude.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events January 20, 2019 Behavior Management Workshop
- Accessibility January 20, 2019 Get set for #Sabkeliye, India's biggest & boldest accessible shopping initiative ever
- Events January 20, 2019 Trinayani's 18th Inclusive Monthly Meetup
- Headlines January 17, 2019 Tributes for Dhoni after great show against Australia
- Accessibility January 24, 2019 Paytm modifies app to make it accessible for blind, low vision users
- Events January 19, 2019 Workshop on Secrets to Deal with ADHD Children
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Teen prodigy Satvik Sharma expresses himself through incredible works of art
- Headlines January 22, 2019 Uri: The Surgical Strike is 2019's 1st hit
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Supreme Court allows dance bars in Maharashtra to reopen
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Early intervention in hearing impairments matters. Here's why
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News