Ways to make your workplace more inclusive of employees with disabilities
August 28, 2018
Along with making workplaces in India more gender diverse, another aspect that is coming under emphasis is disability.
People with disabilities have been left out of the workplace for ages, which has led to a huge loss in terms of productive work hours and employable workforce.
Disability in India is regarded by many as an abnormality and many people feel uneasy around disabled employees as they are not sure how to treat them.
To prepare the ground for disabled employees to work comfortably, company heads must work actively to develop policies so they are utilised effectively.
So what are some of preliminary steps a company should take?
- Company must develop a working definition of disability. There are different types and degrees of disabilities and work can be allocated based on the job requirements.
- All employees must then be informed about the different types of disability and the correct way to engage with such employees. Isolation is a common reaction companies and the discomfort other employees feel leads them to avoid a disabled person. Efforts must be made by companies to provide support and integrate people with disabilities fully in the workplace.
- People are either dismissive or patronizing towards co-workers who have a physical or mental disability. Organizations should run training programs that focus on complete acceptance and equality. The training should provide examples of what makes for discriminatory behaviour. This will help disabled employees to recognize when they are being discriminated against and seek help.
- Organizations should improve infrastructure by revamping the building with - entry and exit ramps for wheelchairs, doors that will open with a switch, relocation of door swiping equipment, smooth passage inside the buildings, handrails on all ramps, renovated washrooms, cafeteria and lounge facilities to enable easy movement.
- Organizations must make an effort to identify positions that can be done by employees with different types of disabilities. Like jobs that need heavy lifting or constant physical effort might not suit someone with impaired limbs. The employee should be able to perform all essential functions for the job.
By including such changes, organizations will help disabled people to be productive members of society and the organization. The biggest challenge in India is that of attitude.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Disability rights activist Prajith Jaipal to hit the road to promote awareness
- Technology May 23, 2019 #TechThursdays - Augmenta11y, an app developed by students, helps children with dyslexia read better
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Vivek Oberoi deletes offensive tweet about Aishwarya, apologises
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 Music knows no boundaries so why barriers at concert venues, ask disabled music lovers
- Headlines May 23, 2019 India launches new spy satellite
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 Understanding Chronic Pain
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Sensex witness steep high after exit poll results
- Education May 23, 2019 Hyderabad schools strictly warned not to deny admission to children with disabilities
- Headlines May 17, 2019 Pakistani air space to remain shut for Indian flights till 30 May
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News