RPWD 2016 Act - What employers need to know
August 29, 2018
The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 safeguards people with disabilities from different types of discrimination, ensures they have access to equal job opportunities, and even more importantly, gives them rights at the workplace.
The Act applies to government as well as private establishments. Private establishments under RPWD 2016 refers to a company, firm, cooperative or other society, associations, trust, agency, institution, organization, union, factory, or such other establishment specified by the government.
While most of the compliances under the Act apply exclusively to government establishments, private ones are also covered and must cover the following requirements:
- All companies must frame and publish an Equal Opportunities Policy. This has to be framed and published on its website or placed prominently in the company premises. The policy must mention details of the benefits and facilities provided to disabled persons at the workplace. A copy of the policy must also be registered with the State Commissioner.
- Companies with over 20 employees must appoint a liaison officer to oversee the hiring of people with disabilities and the facilities provided to them.
- Companies must identify job vacancies suitable for people with disabilities. If the company concerned is getting incentives from the government, a minimum 5% of job vacancies must be reserved for disabled persons.
- The employer should provide extra facilities or special benefits to disabled employees. This is to increase their accessibility, such as special leave and training programs.
- All companies must follow the accessibility norms issued by the government for disabled persons. These relate to workplace infrastructure and communication technologies, which must be accessible.
- Every establishment must maintain records of its disabled employees.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
- #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 9 – Aug 16
- Events August 22, 2019 Ganesha Making Workshop
- Headlines August 15, 2019 Chandrayaan 2 heading towards the Moon
- Events August 21, 2019 Ageing with Grace Workshop for Seniors
- Accessibility August 22, 2019 Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Telephone services, Internet partially back in J&K
- Parasports August 21, 2019 Indian para swimmers successfully swim the Catalina Channel, set Asia record
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Security hiked for Indian cricket team
- Get-Hooked August 20, 2019 Inclusive Spotfix initiative to beauty Bangalore roads
- Education August 21, 2019 Happy Hands School is enabling deaf children in rural Odisha to learn in sign language
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News