RPWD 2016 Act - What employers need to know
August 29, 2018
The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 safeguards people with disabilities from different types of discrimination, ensures they have access to equal job opportunities, and even more importantly, gives them rights at the workplace.
The Act applies to government as well as private establishments. Private establishments under RPWD 2016 refers to a company, firm, cooperative or other society, associations, trust, agency, institution, organization, union, factory, or such other establishment specified by the government.
While most of the compliances under the Act apply exclusively to government establishments, private ones are also covered and must cover the following requirements:
- All companies must frame and publish an Equal Opportunities Policy. This has to be framed and published on its website or placed prominently in the company premises. The policy must mention details of the benefits and facilities provided to disabled persons at the workplace. A copy of the policy must also be registered with the State Commissioner.
- Companies with over 20 employees must appoint a liaison officer to oversee the hiring of people with disabilities and the facilities provided to them.
- Companies must identify job vacancies suitable for people with disabilities. If the company concerned is getting incentives from the government, a minimum 5% of job vacancies must be reserved for disabled persons.
- The employer should provide extra facilities or special benefits to disabled employees. This is to increase their accessibility, such as special leave and training programs.
- All companies must follow the accessibility norms issued by the government for disabled persons. These relate to workplace infrastructure and communication technologies, which must be accessible.
- Every establishment must maintain records of its disabled employees.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports May 22, 2019 Para swimmers to battle sharks, icy waters in Catalina Channel, aim for Ocean Seven challenge
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Accessible Elections in India & lessons for the future
- Get-hooked May 25, 2019 Urmi Foundation helps disabled kids from poor communities get access to education
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Clean chit for Mulayam Singh & son in corruption case
- Education May 23, 2019 Hyderabad schools strictly warned not to deny admission to children with disabilities
- Headlines May 26, 2019 Rahul Gandhi's resignation offer rejected
- Headlines May 25, 2019 Video of candidate crying over 5 votes goes viral
- Headlines May 27, 2019 Hundreds left homeless in Tripura after heavy rains
- Headlines May 23, 2019 Election 2019 - Sensex at 40K as leads show 2nd term for PM Modi
- Headlines May 25, 2019 18 children killed in fire at Surat building
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News