Helikx open school is helping special needs children in Salem meet their fullest potential
August 29, 2018
It was in 1996 that Senthil Kumar from Salem in Tamil Nadu decided to open a centre for children with various kinds of learning disabilities.
As a psychologist, counsellor and mentor, he was well aware of the critical lack of centres that cater to the needs of children with special needs, especially in small town India.
From one student, today his centre has expanded into a school. Called Helikx Open School and Learning Centre, it has so far enriched and empowered over 250 kids with learning disabilities.
Helikx mainly deals with children who have different types of learning disabilities. These include dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia and dyspraxia. Slow learners who have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) are also part of Helikx.
Inclusive in every way
This open school aims to provide equal opportunities to children, regardless of what their economic backgrounds are. To achieve this, it collaborates with individual sponsors and corporate houses. Two out of 60 students at Helikx are sponsored by top notch corporates.
Helping Senthil run the centre are his wife Devipriya and friends, Sasikala and Rajalakshmi.
Here, children are introduced to various therapies and skill training. They are taught farming, animation, fine arts, plumbing, electrical works and even pottery. Senthil claims that over a couple of their students are working with companies like Sutherland and Infosys!
Our special educators ensure that children get the best from us. We just cannot compromise on the quality of education that we impart to our children - Senthil Kumar, Founder, Helikx Open School and Learning Centre.
Helikx has their main centre in Salem. But they conduct evening classes for children with learning disabilities in Erode, Tirupur and Coimbatore. They also plan to expand their services to other parts of India very soon.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
- Headlines June 14, 2019 PM Modi tells ministers to get to work on time
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Cycle Ride
- Get-hooked June 13, 2019 Feeling body positive when you have a disability
- Events June 11, 2019 25th World Cardiology Conference
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Events June 11, 2019 Golden Eye Chef 2019
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News