Helikx open school is helping special needs children in Salem meet their fullest potential
August 29, 2018
It was in 1996 that Senthil Kumar from Salem in Tamil Nadu decided to open a centre for children with various kinds of learning disabilities.
As a psychologist, counsellor and mentor, he was well aware of the critical lack of centres that cater to the needs of children with special needs, especially in small town India.
From one student, today his centre has expanded into a school. Called Helikx Open School and Learning Centre, it has so far enriched and empowered over 250 kids with learning disabilities.
Helikx mainly deals with children who have different types of learning disabilities. These include dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia and dyspraxia. Slow learners who have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) are also part of Helikx.
Inclusive in every way
This open school aims to provide equal opportunities to children, regardless of what their economic backgrounds are. To achieve this, it collaborates with individual sponsors and corporate houses. Two out of 60 students at Helikx are sponsored by top notch corporates.
Helping Senthil run the centre are his wife Devipriya and friends, Sasikala and Rajalakshmi.
Here, children are introduced to various therapies and skill training. They are taught farming, animation, fine arts, plumbing, electrical works and even pottery. Senthil claims that over a couple of their students are working with companies like Sutherland and Infosys!
Our special educators ensure that children get the best from us. We just cannot compromise on the quality of education that we impart to our children - Senthil Kumar, Founder, Helikx Open School and Learning Centre.
Helikx has their main centre in Salem. But they conduct evening classes for children with learning disabilities in Erode, Tirupur and Coimbatore. They also plan to expand their services to other parts of India very soon.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Second voting phase-Key points
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Headlines April 21, 2019 IPL 2019 - Royals & Capitals win
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News