Helikx open school is helping special needs children in Salem meet their fullest potential
It was in 1996 that Senthil Kumar from Salem in Tamil Nadu decided to open a centre for children with various kinds of learning disabilities.
As a psychologist, counsellor and mentor, he was well aware of the critical lack of centres that cater to the needs of children with special needs, especially in small town India.
From one student, today his centre has expanded into a school. Called Helikx Open School and Learning Centre, it has so far enriched and empowered over 250 kids with learning disabilities.
Helikx mainly deals with children who have different types of learning disabilities. These include dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia and dyspraxia. Slow learners who have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) are also part of Helikx.
Inclusive in every way
This open school aims to provide equal opportunities to children, regardless of what their economic backgrounds are. To achieve this, it collaborates with individual sponsors and corporate houses. Two out of 60 students at Helikx are sponsored by top notch corporates.
Helping Senthil run the centre are his wife Devipriya and friends, Sasikala and Rajalakshmi.
Here, children are introduced to various therapies and skill training. They are taught farming, animation, fine arts, plumbing, electrical works and even pottery. Senthil claims that over a couple of their students are working with companies like Sutherland and Infosys!
Our special educators ensure that children get the best from us. We just cannot compromise on the quality of education that we impart to our children - Senthil Kumar, Founder, Helikx Open School and Learning Centre.
Helikx has their main centre in Salem. But they conduct evening classes for children with learning disabilities in Erode, Tirupur and Coimbatore. They also plan to expand their services to other parts of India very soon.
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
- Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
February 17, 2019
- #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
- Accessibility February 11, 2019 Kerala government starts initiatives for inclusive elections
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajinikanth’s daughter Soundarya gets married
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Events February 12, 2019 Workshop on Advancing Your Interpreting Skills
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 11, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News