Helikx open school is helping special needs children in Salem meet their fullest potential
It was in 1996 that Senthil Kumar from Salem in Tamil Nadu decided to open a centre for children with various kinds of learning disabilities.
As a psychologist, counsellor and mentor, he was well aware of the critical lack of centres that cater to the needs of children with special needs, especially in small town India.
From one student, today his centre has expanded into a school. Called Helikx Open School and Learning Centre, it has so far enriched and empowered over 250 kids with learning disabilities.
Helikx mainly deals with children who have different types of learning disabilities. These include dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia and dyspraxia. Slow learners who have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) are also part of Helikx.
Inclusive in every way
This open school aims to provide equal opportunities to children, regardless of what their economic backgrounds are. To achieve this, it collaborates with individual sponsors and corporate houses. Two out of 60 students at Helikx are sponsored by top notch corporates.
Helping Senthil run the centre are his wife Devipriya and friends, Sasikala and Rajalakshmi.
Here, children are introduced to various therapies and skill training. They are taught farming, animation, fine arts, plumbing, electrical works and even pottery. Senthil claims that over a couple of their students are working with companies like Sutherland and Infosys!
Our special educators ensure that children get the best from us. We just cannot compromise on the quality of education that we impart to our children - Senthil Kumar, Founder, Helikx Open School and Learning Centre.
Helikx has their main centre in Salem. But they conduct evening classes for children with learning disabilities in Erode, Tirupur and Coimbatore. They also plan to expand their services to other parts of India very soon.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports October 21, 2018 Amputees Vinod Rawat & Ashok Munne show their mettle in world's highest cross-country rally
- Technology October 17, 2018 Regional language dyslexia screening tool, DALI, now available as an app
- Accessibility October 21, 2018 Wheelchair taxi service Ezy Mov is set to go places
- Events October 22, 2018 Sixth National Conference on Inclusive Education
- Education October 20, 2018 Some ways to help kids with autism prepare for exams
- Headlines October 20, 2018 Sabrimalai temple priests continue to block women's entry into temple
- Headlines October 19, 2018 Sneakers designed by Virat Kohli launched in India
- Headlines October 23, 2018 Jio Diwali Dhamaka Offer brings yearlong free calling for just 1699
- Get-hooked October 19, 2018 This Bengaluru NGO looks to nature to improve the wellbeing of disabled kids
- Accessibility October 19, 2018 Mumbai bookstore Trilogy is helping to spread the word about Braille
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked October 18, 2018
Get-hooked October 17, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News