Helikx open school is helping special needs children in Salem meet their fullest potential
It was in 1996 that Senthil Kumar from Salem in Tamil Nadu decided to open a centre for children with various kinds of learning disabilities.
As a psychologist, counsellor and mentor, he was well aware of the critical lack of centres that cater to the needs of children with special needs, especially in small town India.
From one student, today his centre has expanded into a school. Called Helikx Open School and Learning Centre, it has so far enriched and empowered over 250 kids with learning disabilities.
Helikx mainly deals with children who have different types of learning disabilities. These include dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia and dyspraxia. Slow learners who have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) are also part of Helikx.
Inclusive in every way
This open school aims to provide equal opportunities to children, regardless of what their economic backgrounds are. To achieve this, it collaborates with individual sponsors and corporate houses. Two out of 60 students at Helikx are sponsored by top notch corporates.
Helping Senthil run the centre are his wife Devipriya and friends, Sasikala and Rajalakshmi.
Here, children are introduced to various therapies and skill training. They are taught farming, animation, fine arts, plumbing, electrical works and even pottery. Senthil claims that over a couple of their students are working with companies like Sutherland and Infosys!
Our special educators ensure that children get the best from us. We just cannot compromise on the quality of education that we impart to our children - Senthil Kumar, Founder, Helikx Open School and Learning Centre.
Helikx has their main centre in Salem. But they conduct evening classes for children with learning disabilities in Erode, Tirupur and Coimbatore. They also plan to expand their services to other parts of India very soon.
Watch in Sign Language
- This Bengaluru school is empowering women with disabilities for the job market
December 18, 2018
- How a trek led to the start of a larger journey - My Take by P Devendra, Founder, Nayan Foundation
December 18, 2018
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Supreme Court orders that there should be no further investigation on Rafale deal
- Get-hooked December 18, 2018 This Bengaluru school is empowering women with disabilities for the job market
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Zomato delivery boy sacked after video goes viral
- Headlines December 15, 2018 India vs Australia - Decision to drop Jadeja criticised
- Events December 17, 2018 All India Seventh Across Disability Matrimonial Get Together
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some benefits of yoga for children with autism
- Parasports December 13, 2018 Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
- Events December 17, 2018 Hindi play to raise funds for Disabled Children
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Diabetes-related eye diseases is the leading cause of blindness in India, says study
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 7, 2018
Get-hooked December 14, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018