Tips for interviewing people with disabilities
August 30, 2018
Disabled people are becoming a more visible presence in India's workforce. This is good news and the numbers to grow.
Companies too need to become more attuned to setting up systems in place to enable this change. This means not just accessible infrastructure, but also ensuring proper etiquette is followed while hiring people with disabilities for suitable roles in the organization.
Here are some things to keep in mind while interviewing a person with a disability for a job:
- Prepare ahead. If the person has shared their disability in the application, ask what adjustments they may need during the interview. Like a person who is visually impaired may need more detailed directions to find the location. Ensure your building and the interview room is accessible. If paperwork needs to be completed before or during the interview, make sure its available in accessible formats.
- Frame questions that are about the job requirements so this way the candidate has an opportunity to talk about their skills and abilities. To give an example, instead of a question like, "give details about working in the billing counter', you could ask "tell us about how you helped a customer who wanted a refund".
- Do not ask questions about how the person acquired their disability. You can only ask questions about how the person's disability might relate to doing the job
- Don't patronise people with disability.
- Speak directly to the person, rather than through a companion, interpreter or aid if they are present.
- Give enough time for the person to respond.
- You can ask questions about keeping the workplace safe for the candidate.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala government’s Kaivalya Project yet to take off, disability rights groups disappointed
March 18, 2019
- Saarathee's employees are showing India that disability is just a matter of perception
March 11, 2019
- Handicrops, India's first company founded by disabled people, set to spread outside Kerala
March 10, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 20, 2019 Session by Smrithy Rajesh
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Medical Council of India changes postgraduate admission rules only for students with locomotor disabilities
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Goa CM Manohar Parrikar is no more
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Karnataka govt introduces accessibility features for elections, disability groups raise questions
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Gun laws to change in New Zealand after terror attack
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 Madras High Court increases aid for disabled people under assistance scheme by 25%
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 Kerala youngster Vijesh Vijayan wins battle for justice in Kerala High Court
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Disabled people share uncomfortable encounters on social media with hash tag #AbledsAreWeird
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Narendra Modi launches ‘Main Bhi Chowkidar’ campaign
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News