Tips for interviewing people with disabilities
Disabled people are becoming a more visible presence in India's workforce. This is good news and the numbers to grow.
Companies too need to become more attuned to setting up systems in place to enable this change. This means not just accessible infrastructure, but also ensuring proper etiquette is followed while hiring people with disabilities for suitable roles in the organization.
Here are some things to keep in mind while interviewing a person with a disability for a job:
- Prepare ahead. If the person has shared their disability in the application, ask what adjustments they may need during the interview. Like a person who is visually impaired may need more detailed directions to find the location. Ensure your building and the interview room is accessible. If paperwork needs to be completed before or during the interview, make sure its available in accessible formats.
- Frame questions that are about the job requirements so this way the candidate has an opportunity to talk about their skills and abilities. To give an example, instead of a question like, "give details about working in the billing counter', you could ask "tell us about how you helped a customer who wanted a refund".
- Do not ask questions about how the person acquired their disability. You can only ask questions about how the person's disability might relate to doing the job
- Don’t patronise people with disability.
- Speak directly to the person, rather than through a companion, interpreter or aid if they are present.
- Give enough time for the person to respond.
- You can ask questions about keeping the workplace safe for the candidate.
Watch in Sign Language
- Career choices for people with autism
November 11, 2018
- Career options for people with learning disabilities
November 9, 2018
- Some tips to manage the workplace for adults with ADHD
October 30, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events November 15, 2018 BGFI's Accessible Tour to Mumbai Dockyard
- Get-hooked November 16, 2018 Some tips to make learning fun for children with autism
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prayatna Counselling & Early Intervention Centre is on the journey of making a positive change
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Some activities for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
- Employment November 11, 2018 Career choices for people with autism
- Headlines November 11, 2018 Deepika & Ranveer leave for Italy for wedding next week
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Small touches that make love stronger when you date a deaf person
- Education November 15, 2018 Make classrooms friendly for children with ADHD
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Employment November 9, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News