Tips for interviewing people with disabilities
August 30, 2018
Disabled people are becoming a more visible presence in India's workforce. This is good news and the numbers to grow.
Companies too need to become more attuned to setting up systems in place to enable this change. This means not just accessible infrastructure, but also ensuring proper etiquette is followed while hiring people with disabilities for suitable roles in the organization.
Here are some things to keep in mind while interviewing a person with a disability for a job:
- Prepare ahead. If the person has shared their disability in the application, ask what adjustments they may need during the interview. Like a person who is visually impaired may need more detailed directions to find the location. Ensure your building and the interview room is accessible. If paperwork needs to be completed before or during the interview, make sure its available in accessible formats.
- Frame questions that are about the job requirements so this way the candidate has an opportunity to talk about their skills and abilities. To give an example, instead of a question like, "give details about working in the billing counter', you could ask "tell us about how you helped a customer who wanted a refund".
- Do not ask questions about how the person acquired their disability. You can only ask questions about how the person's disability might relate to doing the job
- Don't patronise people with disability.
- Speak directly to the person, rather than through a companion, interpreter or aid if they are present.
- Give enough time for the person to respond.
- You can ask questions about keeping the workplace safe for the candidate.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Mamata's nephew sends defamation notice to PM
- Get-hooked May 25, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Accessibility May 26, 2019 'Have a right to be out & about', says Sindhu, only wheelchair user to attend Kerala's Attukal Pongala festival
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Sensex witness steep high after exit poll results
- Get-hooked May 25, 2019 Some tips for making travel comfortable when you have a child with Down syndrome
- Get-hooked May 27, 2019 An exclusive anthem for children with hearing disabilities aims to spread awareness
- Headlines May 24, 2019 PM Modi's victory speech - Key Highlights
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
- Accessibility May 23, 2019 Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
- Parasports May 20, 2019 Passion for sports keeps Amresh's spirits up through the worst of times
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News