Tips for interviewing people with disabilities
August 30, 2018
Disabled people are becoming a more visible presence in India's workforce. This is good news and the numbers to grow.
Companies too need to become more attuned to setting up systems in place to enable this change. This means not just accessible infrastructure, but also ensuring proper etiquette is followed while hiring people with disabilities for suitable roles in the organization.
Here are some things to keep in mind while interviewing a person with a disability for a job:
- Prepare ahead. If the person has shared their disability in the application, ask what adjustments they may need during the interview. Like a person who is visually impaired may need more detailed directions to find the location. Ensure your building and the interview room is accessible. If paperwork needs to be completed before or during the interview, make sure its available in accessible formats.
- Frame questions that are about the job requirements so this way the candidate has an opportunity to talk about their skills and abilities. To give an example, instead of a question like, "give details about working in the billing counter', you could ask "tell us about how you helped a customer who wanted a refund".
- Do not ask questions about how the person acquired their disability. You can only ask questions about how the person's disability might relate to doing the job
- Don't patronise people with disability.
- Speak directly to the person, rather than through a companion, interpreter or aid if they are present.
- Give enough time for the person to respond.
- You can ask questions about keeping the workplace safe for the candidate.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
- #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Ex-minister Arun Jaitley on life support
- Education August 21, 2019 Happy Hands School is enabling deaf children in rural Odisha to learn in sign language
- Parasports August 21, 2019 Indian para swimmers successfully swim the Catalina Channel, set Asia record
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Security hiked for Indian cricket team
- Parasports August 15, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Disability led Madhusudan to discover a talent for wheelchair tennis
- Headlines August 16, 2019 Virat Kohli sets new record
- Technology August 22, 2019 #TechThursdays – Kibo XS, world’s 1st intelligent personalised scanning & reading companion
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Kerala minister K K Shailaja steps in for deaf child affected in the floods
- Events August 21, 2019 GO PLAY - A Parent Education Program
- Headlines August 16, 2019 PM Modi's Independence Day address - Key points
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News