Tips for interviewing people with disabilities
Disabled people are becoming a more visible presence in India's workforce. This is good news and the numbers to grow.
Companies too need to become more attuned to setting up systems in place to enable this change. This means not just accessible infrastructure, but also ensuring proper etiquette is followed while hiring people with disabilities for suitable roles in the organization.
Here are some things to keep in mind while interviewing a person with a disability for a job:
- Prepare ahead. If the person has shared their disability in the application, ask what adjustments they may need during the interview. Like a person who is visually impaired may need more detailed directions to find the location. Ensure your building and the interview room is accessible. If paperwork needs to be completed before or during the interview, make sure its available in accessible formats.
- Frame questions that are about the job requirements so this way the candidate has an opportunity to talk about their skills and abilities. To give an example, instead of a question like, "give details about working in the billing counter', you could ask "tell us about how you helped a customer who wanted a refund".
- Do not ask questions about how the person acquired their disability. You can only ask questions about how the person's disability might relate to doing the job
- Don’t patronise people with disability.
- Speak directly to the person, rather than through a companion, interpreter or aid if they are present.
- Give enough time for the person to respond.
- You can ask questions about keeping the workplace safe for the candidate.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 23, 2019 3 top cricket awards for Virat in 2018
- Employment January 22, 2019 At India Business Disability Network launch, industry leaders champion workplace inclusion
- Headlines January 17, 2019 Tributes for Dhoni after great show against Australia
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Kerala government claims 51 women entered Sabarimala since last September
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Kangana threatens to destroy Karni Sena over objections to film
- Accessibility January 24, 2019 Disability groups fume over Supreme Court order on "reasonable sight, hearing, speech faculties" for judicial officer
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Changing lives of disabled people for the better, the Swabhiman way
- Parasports January 22, 2019 Champions with disabilities display guts & glory at the 2019 Tata Mumbai Marathon
- Headlines January 22, 2019 Uri: The Surgical Strike is 2019's 1st hit
- Get-hooked January 22, 2019 Workshop on children with ADHD, know more
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News