Befriending a person with cerebral palsy? Check out these tips
August 31, 2018
Most of us might not have made friends with a disabled person. Hence, interacting with a person with a disability might be wee bit different. But there are certain things that you need to keep in mind when you make friends or even interact with a disabled person. The main thing being, treat them just like any other person.
Cerebral palsy is a neurological condition that affects mobility and movement. It even affects the muscle tone and posture. It usually affects a person during their childhood. You also need to understand that they would love to be understood and loved just like us. Sometimes, you might need to move out of your comfort zone. But this way, you might be meeting your friend for life!
Check out these tips when you are speaking to someone with cerebral palsy.
- Offer a helping hand of friendship - A person with cerebral palsy will have difficulty in movements. But do not hesitate to shake your hands with the person. Extend your hand and give your new friend a chance to reciprocate if they want to.
- Look into their eyes while speaking- Well, this is applicable while interacting with someone who does not have a disability as well. You would hate it when someone does not make an eye contact while taking to you. It is the same with a person who has cerebral palsy!
- If you want to talk about their disability, refer to them as a person with cerebral palsy- This is one of the most important things to be kept in mind. A person does not suffer from a disability! If you use that term, you would just look weird.
- Listen carefully if they have speech difficulties- Sometimes, a person with cerebral palsy might have difficulty in speech. Do not keep asking them to repeat their sentences. Instead, pay more attention to what they talk. Even you would get irritated if you are asked to repeat what you have been talking!
- Avoid leaning on their wheelchair- People with cerebral palsy usually uses a wheelchair. It is more like an extension of them. Do not lean on to it and make yourself look awkward!
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
August 21, 2019
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Kellogg's Rice Krispies Treats' sensory love notes ease back to school transition for children with autism
- Parasports August 16, 2019 Victorious India Divyang Cricket Team to land in Mumbai tomorrow
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Death toll rises in monsoon fury at Himachal Pradesh
- Headlines August 18, 2019 ‘Mission Mangal’ gets grand opening at box office
- Get-Hooked August 21, 2019 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
- Accessibility August 22, 2019 Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
- Headlines August 15, 2019 Chandrayaan 2 heading towards the Moon
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 "Love can be limitless if people recognise, accept and celebrate a person with a difference" - Jasmina Khanna
- Events August 21, 2019 Ageing with Grace Workshop for Seniors
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-Hooked August 18, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News