Befriending a person with cerebral palsy? Check out these tips
Most of us might not have made friends with a disabled person. Hence, interacting with a person with a disability might be wee bit different. But there are certain things that you need to keep in mind when you make friends or even interact with a disabled person. The main thing being, treat them just like any other person.
Cerebral palsy is a neurological condition that affects mobility and movement. It even affects the muscle tone and posture. It usually affects a person during their childhood. You also need to understand that they would love to be understood and loved just like us. Sometimes, you might need to move out of your comfort zone. But this way, you might be meeting your friend for life!
Check out these tips when you are speaking to someone with cerebral palsy.
- Offer a helping hand of friendship - A person with cerebral palsy will have difficulty in movements. But do not hesitate to shake your hands with the person. Extend your hand and give your new friend a chance to reciprocate if they want to.
- Look into their eyes while speaking- Well, this is applicable while interacting with someone who does not have a disability as well. You would hate it when someone does not make an eye contact while taking to you. It is the same with a person who has cerebral palsy!
- If you want to talk about their disability, refer to them as a person with cerebral palsy- This is one of the most important things to be kept in mind. A person does not suffer from a disability! If you use that term, you would just look weird.
- Listen carefully if they have speech difficulties- Sometimes, a person with cerebral palsy might have difficulty in speech. Do not keep asking them to repeat their sentences. Instead, pay more attention to what they talk. Even you would get irritated if you are asked to repeat what you have been talking!
- Avoid leaning on their wheelchair- People with cerebral palsy usually uses a wheelchair. It is more like an extension of them. Do not lean on to it and make yourself look awkward!
Watch in Sign Language
- First ever scientific study establishes the magical link between music & autism
November 14, 2018
- Small touches that make love stronger when you date a deaf person
November 14, 2018
- Help your child with autism sleep better
November 14, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 Some shopping tips for blind people
- Headlines November 7, 2018 Protests intensifies as Sabarimala opens for monthly puja
- Get-hooked November 7, 2018 Paris bus driver becomes social media darling for standing up for disabled passenger
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Prime Minister Modi launches projects over ₹2,400 crore in Varanasi
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Air India pilot found drunk before flight
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Deepika and Ranveer want wedding guests to donate to charity
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Sushmita Sen puts an end to marriage rumours on social media
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
- Employment November 9, 2018 Career options for people with learning disabilities
- Employment November 11, 2018 Career choices for people with autism
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 14, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News