Befriending a person with cerebral palsy? Check out these tips
August 31, 2018
Most of us might not have made friends with a disabled person. Hence, interacting with a person with a disability might be wee bit different. But there are certain things that you need to keep in mind when you make friends or even interact with a disabled person. The main thing being, treat them just like any other person.
Cerebral palsy is a neurological condition that affects mobility and movement. It even affects the muscle tone and posture. It usually affects a person during their childhood. You also need to understand that they would love to be understood and loved just like us. Sometimes, you might need to move out of your comfort zone. But this way, you might be meeting your friend for life!
Check out these tips when you are speaking to someone with cerebral palsy.
- Offer a helping hand of friendship - A person with cerebral palsy will have difficulty in movements. But do not hesitate to shake your hands with the person. Extend your hand and give your new friend a chance to reciprocate if they want to.
- Look into their eyes while speaking- Well, this is applicable while interacting with someone who does not have a disability as well. You would hate it when someone does not make an eye contact while taking to you. It is the same with a person who has cerebral palsy!
- If you want to talk about their disability, refer to them as a person with cerebral palsy- This is one of the most important things to be kept in mind. A person does not suffer from a disability! If you use that term, you would just look weird.
- Listen carefully if they have speech difficulties- Sometimes, a person with cerebral palsy might have difficulty in speech. Do not keep asking them to repeat their sentences. Instead, pay more attention to what they talk. Even you would get irritated if you are asked to repeat what you have been talking!
- Avoid leaning on their wheelchair- People with cerebral palsy usually uses a wheelchair. It is more like an extension of them. Do not lean on to it and make yourself look awkward!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 16, 2019 Mumbai bridge collapse - Families demand answers
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Indian cricket team gears up for World Cup 2019
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 Disabled boy's long fight for a village school pays off, Prime Minister Modi's office intervenes
- Events March 20, 2019 On The Path To Success - My Journey With My Child
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Gun laws to change in New Zealand after terror attack
- Events March 20, 2019 Downs syndrome free assessment camp
- Headlines March 16, 2019 Bangladesh cricketers escaped terror attack closely
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Parenting Corner- Potty Training Children with Down syndrome
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 Some tips to help children with learning disabilities
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 My disability taught me to unlock my potential - My Take by Dhanya Ravi
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News