Bihar state honour for champion para swimmer Mohammed Shams Alam!
The Bihar Khel Ratna award has been awarded to para swimmer Mohammed Shams Alam Sheikh. A major honour, that feels extra special as it comes from his home state.
Sheikh said it was a happy and proud moment for him and his work to be recognised by his own state and people.
The awards ceremony was held in Patna at Son Bhavan this week. 30-year-old Sheikh, a mechanical engineer by training and a black belt karate player, became paraplegic after he was diagnosed with a spinal tumour and underwent many operations.
He took up swimming as physiotherapy and decided to pursue it seriously. His has been a remarkable journey as he has struggled for official support and sponsorship.
I feel this award is not just a word but a way to show to society that we can achieve whatever we wish or dream for. I also felt happy that the ex Bihar chief minister, Jitan Ram Manjhi, said at the awards ceremony that the state government must give priority to people with disabilities. - Mohammed Shams Alam Shaikh, Para swimmer
Shaikh is preparing for the upcoming Asian Para Games. He will join the national coaching camp later this week. He says the recognition will help him emotionally and mentally to work harder towards raising awareness about accessibility.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Dhoni becomes 4th Indian to record 1,000 one day runs in Australia
- Headlines January 19, 2019 Heavy fog disrupts flights, trains in Delhi
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Benefit Cosmetics' move to feature model with Down syndrome as ambassador gets a big thumbs up
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Supreme Court allows dance bars in Maharashtra to reopen
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Senior BJP leader makes offensive remarks about Mayawati
- Events January 17, 2019 India Art Festival- IAF
- Headlines January 15, 2019 Gujarat becomes first state to implement 10% reservation for general category
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News