Here are a few tips to help your child with a learning disability
In today’s world, learning disabilities are quite common. It is important that parents equip their children to face the world without undergoing trauma and stress. Also, they need to be patient and understanding so that their child has a shoulder to lean to during tough times. Some of the most common learning disabilities are Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Dysgraphia, Dyslexia and Dyscalculia. Does your child have a learning disability?
Here are a few tips to keep in mind.
- Get to know more about your child’s disability- There are different kinds of disabilities. The needs for each disability is also different. Treatment methods also differ. A parent must do a detailed study about their child’s disability and equip them on how to deal with it. Apart from what doctors suggest, try checking for more information online!
- Encourage your child- Just like all of us, children with learning disabilities would love to be praised. So when your child does well at school or for extracurricular activities, remember to praise them. Even if they score low for exams, it is OK. After all, academics do not define a child!
- Keep a track of your child’s mental health- A child with learning disability might be undergoing different kinds of turmoil. Most of the times, they are hesitant to talk about it. Keep looking out if your child is OK. Also, make sure that they get adequate treatment and counselling if they are stressed out. Early intervention and treatment will only do well to your child.
- Interact with your child’s teachers and friends- This way, you are building a stronger relationship with your child. Make sure that you are keeping a track of your child’s mental well-being as well.
- Remember that you are not alone- There are thousands of children with learning disabilities. Similarly, there are many groups where you can reach out to for help. Talk to other parents who have children with learning disabilities. Also, never blame your child for their disability. All they need is patience, understanding and oodles of love!
Watch in Sign Language
- Make classrooms friendly for children with ADHD
November 15, 2018
- Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
November 14, 2018
- MBBS entrance exam brochure makes no mention of modified rules for disabled candidates
November 2, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility November 16, 2018 Filmmaker Rustom Irani to explore legal options against Jet Airways for alleged manhandling on flight
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 What made Stan Lee's superheroes so magical for children with autism
- Events November 12, 2018 Inclov Social Spaces Mumbai - New Year Celebration
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Multiple Disabilities
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Actor Akshay Kumar says he never met self-styled god man Ram Rahim
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Unni Maxx talks about his vacation at the paradise of South Africa
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Supreme Court to hear review petitions for Sabarimala issue on 22 January
- Parasports November 15, 2018 Mumbai to play host to second wheelchair basketball camp in November
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Samsung to launch smartphone with four rear cameras in India this month
- Headlines November 16, 2018 South African President to be Republic Day chief guest
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News