Here are a few tips to help your child with a learning disability
August 31, 2018
In today's world, learning disabilities are quite common. It is important that parents equip their children to face the world without undergoing trauma and stress. Also, they need to be patient and understanding so that their child has a shoulder to lean to during tough times. Some of the most common learning disabilities are Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Dysgraphia, Dyslexia and Dyscalculia. Does your child have a learning disability?
Here are a few tips to keep in mind.
- Get to know more about your child's disability- There are different kinds of disabilities. The needs for each disability is also different. Treatment methods also differ. A parent must do a detailed study about their child's disability and equip them on how to deal with it. Apart from what doctors suggest, try checking for more information online!
- Encourage your child- Just like all of us, children with learning disabilities would love to be praised. So when your child does well at school or for extracurricular activities, remember to praise them. Even if they score low for exams, it is OK. After all, academics do not define a child!
- Keep a track of your child's mental health- A child with learning disability might be undergoing different kinds of turmoil. Most of the times, they are hesitant to talk about it. Keep looking out if your child is OK. Also, make sure that they get adequate treatment and counselling if they are stressed out. Early intervention and treatment will only do well to your child.
- Interact with your child's teachers and friends- This way, you are building a stronger relationship with your child. Make sure that you are keeping a track of your child's mental well-being as well.
- Remember that you are not alone- There are thousands of children with learning disabilities. Similarly, there are many groups where you can reach out to for help. Talk to other parents who have children with learning disabilities. Also, never blame your child for their disability. All they need is patience, understanding and oodles of love!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 19, 2019 Annual Seminar on Inclusion & Accessibility of Deaf
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Chennai tourist attraction, Elliot’s beach, set to become wheelchair accessible
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 My disability taught me to unlock my potential - My Take by Dhanya Ravi
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Medical Council of India changes postgraduate admission rules only for students with locomotor disabilities
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Gun laws to change in New Zealand after terror attack
- Headlines March 20, 2019 One CRPF jawan killed, six others injured in naxal attack
- Headlines March 15, 2019 Boeing 737 MAX 8 banned by several countries after 2nd crash in 5 months
- Events March 19, 2019 BGFI's session on STEM study - An Inclusive Avenue for the Blind
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Narendra Modi launches ‘Main Bhi Chowkidar’ campaign
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Indian cricket team gears up for World Cup 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News