Here are a few tips to help your child with a learning disability
In today’s world, learning disabilities are quite common. It is important that parents equip their children to face the world without undergoing trauma and stress. Also, they need to be patient and understanding so that their child has a shoulder to lean to during tough times. Some of the most common learning disabilities are Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Dysgraphia, Dyslexia and Dyscalculia. Does your child have a learning disability?
Here are a few tips to keep in mind.
- Get to know more about your child’s disability- There are different kinds of disabilities. The needs for each disability is also different. Treatment methods also differ. A parent must do a detailed study about their child’s disability and equip them on how to deal with it. Apart from what doctors suggest, try checking for more information online!
- Encourage your child- Just like all of us, children with learning disabilities would love to be praised. So when your child does well at school or for extracurricular activities, remember to praise them. Even if they score low for exams, it is OK. After all, academics do not define a child!
- Keep a track of your child’s mental health- A child with learning disability might be undergoing different kinds of turmoil. Most of the times, they are hesitant to talk about it. Keep looking out if your child is OK. Also, make sure that they get adequate treatment and counselling if they are stressed out. Early intervention and treatment will only do well to your child.
- Interact with your child’s teachers and friends- This way, you are building a stronger relationship with your child. Make sure that you are keeping a track of your child’s mental well-being as well.
- Remember that you are not alone- There are thousands of children with learning disabilities. Similarly, there are many groups where you can reach out to for help. Talk to other parents who have children with learning disabilities. Also, never blame your child for their disability. All they need is patience, understanding and oodles of love!
Watch in Sign Language
- Home schooling now an option for children with disabilities in Maharashtra
January 16, 2019
- Some tips for teaching children with Down syndrome
January 11, 2019
- Madhya Pradesh gesture to promote inclusion gets a thumbs up
January 9, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Fed up of delays in updated guidelines for disabled MBBS aspirants, activists approach minister
- Events January 22, 2019 9th Hydrabad Fide Rating Chess Tournament for Visually Challenged, 2019
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Bhopal is hosting Deaf Festival 2019, know more
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Changing lives of disabled people for the better, the Swabhiman way
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Supreme Court allows dance bars in Maharashtra to reopen
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Kerala government claims 51 women entered Sabarimala since last September
- Technology January 23, 2019 Inspiration is just a phone call away thanks to EnAble Vaani
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Kangana threatens to destroy Karni Sena over objections to film
- Events January 18, 2019 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Accessibility January 18, 2019 Goa Carnival 2019 promises to be wheelchair accessible
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Education January 11, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News