Here are a few tips to help your child with a learning disability
August 31, 2018
In today's world, learning disabilities are quite common. It is important that parents equip their children to face the world without undergoing trauma and stress. Also, they need to be patient and understanding so that their child has a shoulder to lean to during tough times. Some of the most common learning disabilities are Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Dysgraphia, Dyslexia and Dyscalculia. Does your child have a learning disability?
Here are a few tips to keep in mind.
- Get to know more about your child's disability- There are different kinds of disabilities. The needs for each disability is also different. Treatment methods also differ. A parent must do a detailed study about their child's disability and equip them on how to deal with it. Apart from what doctors suggest, try checking for more information online!
- Encourage your child- Just like all of us, children with learning disabilities would love to be praised. So when your child does well at school or for extracurricular activities, remember to praise them. Even if they score low for exams, it is OK. After all, academics do not define a child!
- Keep a track of your child's mental health- A child with learning disability might be undergoing different kinds of turmoil. Most of the times, they are hesitant to talk about it. Keep looking out if your child is OK. Also, make sure that they get adequate treatment and counselling if they are stressed out. Early intervention and treatment will only do well to your child.
- Interact with your child's teachers and friends- This way, you are building a stronger relationship with your child. Make sure that you are keeping a track of your child's mental well-being as well.
- Remember that you are not alone- There are thousands of children with learning disabilities. Similarly, there are many groups where you can reach out to for help. Talk to other parents who have children with learning disabilities. Also, never blame your child for their disability. All they need is patience, understanding and oodles of love!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 14, 2019 Arrest warrant against Congress MP Shashi Tharoor
- Events August 14, 2019 Drama for Autism
- Parasports August 16, 2019 Victorious India Divyang Cricket Team to land in Mumbai tomorrow
- Headlines August 13, 2019 Indian wins Tri-Nation Under-19s Tournament title
- Headlines August 17, 2019 UN Security Council holds meeting about Kashmir
- Headlines August 15, 2019 Restrictions lifted in Jammu
- Headlines August 16, 2019 PM Modi's Independence Day address - Key points
- Events August 14, 2019 Unity through Performing Arts
- Events August 13, 2019 Inclusive Walkathon
- Parasports August 15, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Disability led Madhusudan to discover a talent for wheelchair tennis
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News