3 disabled students will now be able to study medicine after Supreme Court judgment
September 1, 2018
Some major steps taken by Indian judiciary recently are expected to go a long way in making the medical education open for disabled candidates in the country.
The latest order from the Supreme Court comes in support of three disabled students and they will now be allowed to get admission in three different medical institutions in Delhi.
The three students had appealed to the top court when their admission was rejected by the medical institutions on the basis of their disabilities. The three students have a hearing impairment, specific learning disability and blood disorder-related disability.
Another student who had appealed to the court regarding the admission denial on basis of disability, got a favorable verdict and will soon be able to study medicine.
The matter of giving admissions to disabled students in MBBS courses has been making news lately. The efforts of activists and students has led to a major change in the admission policy.
The top court has stated that candidates should be judged on the basis of their individual abilities and not be discriminated because of being disabled.
Dr Satendra Singh, a leading disability rights activist expressed his pleasure at the positive changes that are now taking place to ensure fair opportunities to disabled students in the field of medicine.
He calls the supreme court order 'A major victory for #DocsWithDisabilities movement in #India'.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Parasports June 18, 2019 ‘Keep striving until you achieve your goals’- My take by Vysakh SR
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Cycle Ride
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Encephalitis kills 108 people in Bihar
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
- Events June 12, 2019 Messengers on Cycles 2019: Cyclothon event
- Headlines June 19, 2019 6 jawans injured in terror strike in Pulwama
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News