RPWD 2016 - What private employers need to know
The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act provides for equality of opportunity. This is especially in matters relating to employment.
Under the Act, private employers now have to:
- Devise an Equal Opportunity Policy - This will have to be displayed on the employer’s website or at visible places on the company premises. This will also have to be registered with the Chief Commissioner or State Commissioner. This policy has to mention the details of the facilities all disabled employees have been provided with.
- Appoint a Liaison Officer: The role of the liaison officer is to oversee the hiring of disabled people and make necessary provisions and facilities for them at the workplace.
- Identify vacancies - Private employers have to identify roles that are suitable for people with disabilities and mention those in the Equal Opportunity Policy. Companies that get incentives from the relevant government have to make sure that at least 5% of the work force is made up of people with benchmark disabilities.
- Prevent discrimination: The company head must make sure no person with disability is discriminated against because of his or her disability.
- Provide extra benefits - Private employers have to provide training facilities, assistive devices, and barrier free accessibility.
- Follow accessibility norms - This means the building structure of the establishment must follow the accessibility norms formulated by the government.
- Maintain records - Private companies with 20 or more employees must maintain records with details of the disabled persons who are employed with them.
Watch in Sign Language
- Career choices for people with autism
November 11, 2018
- Career options for people with learning disabilities
November 9, 2018
- Some tips to manage the workplace for adults with ADHD
October 30, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology November 13, 2018 Engineering student develops app called Myability that speaks out typed text
- Get-hooked November 16, 2018 Some tips to make learning fun for children with autism
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 "It was like the whole universe came together" - My Take by Ruma Roka, founder, Noida Deaf Society
- Parasports November 9, 2018 First ever Blind Volley Ball Tournament to be held in Karnataka
- Headlines November 10, 2018 Vijay’s ‘Sarkar’ enters Rs 100 Crore club amidst controversies
- Technology November 12, 2018 Manovue glove opens doors to visually impaired people who do not know Braille
- Accessibility November 10, 2018 Actual number of disabled voters in Telangana missing from list, activists ask for special campaign
- Headlines November 10, 2018 India & Taliban hold talks on non-official level in Moscow
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prayatna Counselling & Early Intervention Centre is on the journey of making a positive change
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Rohit Sharma in list of batsmen with over 200 boundaries in T20Is
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Employment November 9, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News