RPWD 2016 - What private employers need to know
September 1, 2018
The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act provides for equality of opportunity. This is especially in matters relating to employment.
Under the Act, private employers now have to:
- Devise an Equal Opportunity Policy - This will have to be displayed on the employer's website or at visible places on the company premises. This will also have to be registered with the Chief Commissioner or State Commissioner. This policy has to mention the details of the facilities all disabled employees have been provided with.
- Appoint a Liaison Officer: The role of the liaison officer is to oversee the hiring of disabled people and make necessary provisions and facilities for them at the workplace.
- Identify vacancies - Private employers have to identify roles that are suitable for people with disabilities and mention those in the Equal Opportunity Policy. Companies that get incentives from the relevant government have to make sure that at least 5% of the work force is made up of people with benchmark disabilities.
- Prevent discrimination: The company head must make sure no person with disability is discriminated against because of his or her disability.
- Provide extra benefits - Private employers have to provide training facilities, assistive devices, and barrier free accessibility.
- Follow accessibility norms - This means the building structure of the establishment must follow the accessibility norms formulated by the government.
- Maintain records - Private companies with 20 or more employees must maintain records with details of the disabled persons who are employed with them.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala government’s Kaivalya Project yet to take off, disability rights groups disappointed
March 18, 2019
- Saarathee's employees are showing India that disability is just a matter of perception
March 11, 2019
- Handicrops, India's first company founded by disabled people, set to spread outside Kerala
March 10, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 17, 2019 Understanding Inborn Errors of Metabolism
- Events March 20, 2019 Parent Interaction With Jo Chopra
- Employment March 18, 2019 Kerala government’s Kaivalya Project yet to take off, disability rights groups disappointed
- Events March 19, 2019 Annual Seminar on Inclusion & Accessibility of Deaf
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 #WonderWoman - Ketna Mehta is giving people with disabilities wings to fly
- Headlines March 20, 2019 Madhya Pradesh girl raped & killed, uncle & brothers accused
- Events March 19, 2019 BGFI's session on STEM study - An Inclusive Avenue for the Blind
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines March 21, 2019 Mayawati will not contest 2019 general elections
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked March 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News