RPWD 2016 - What private employers need to know
The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act provides for equality of opportunity. This is especially in matters relating to employment.
Under the Act, private employers now have to:
- Devise an Equal Opportunity Policy - This will have to be displayed on the employer’s website or at visible places on the company premises. This will also have to be registered with the Chief Commissioner or State Commissioner. This policy has to mention the details of the facilities all disabled employees have been provided with.
- Appoint a Liaison Officer: The role of the liaison officer is to oversee the hiring of disabled people and make necessary provisions and facilities for them at the workplace.
- Identify vacancies - Private employers have to identify roles that are suitable for people with disabilities and mention those in the Equal Opportunity Policy. Companies that get incentives from the relevant government have to make sure that at least 5% of the work force is made up of people with benchmark disabilities.
- Prevent discrimination: The company head must make sure no person with disability is discriminated against because of his or her disability.
- Provide extra benefits - Private employers have to provide training facilities, assistive devices, and barrier free accessibility.
- Follow accessibility norms - This means the building structure of the establishment must follow the accessibility norms formulated by the government.
- Maintain records - Private companies with 20 or more employees must maintain records with details of the disabled persons who are employed with them.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Navy divers find second body in Meghalaya mine
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Supreme Court allows dance bars in Maharashtra to reopen
- Headlines January 23, 2019 Indian-origin Kamala Harris to run for U.S president
- Parasports January 23, 2019 Para badminton camp in Mumbai seeks to nurture talent, attract support
- Events January 21, 2019 Agra Deaf Enable Society- Republic Day Event
- Parasports January 17, 2019 Kerala government move to hold marathon with disabled category welcomed
- Headlines January 23, 2019 3 top cricket awards for Virat in 2018
- Get-hooked January 22, 2019 Wheelchair artists in Kerala to stage Chaya, 1st of its kind theatre performance
- Accessibility January 24, 2019 Disability groups fume over Supreme Court order on "reasonable sight, hearing, speech faculties" for judicial officer
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Awareness to access, Cure SMA India speaks up for kids with spinal muscular atrophy
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News