RPWD 2016 - What private employers need to know
September 1, 2018
The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act provides for equality of opportunity. This is especially in matters relating to employment.
Under the Act, private employers now have to:
- Devise an Equal Opportunity Policy - This will have to be displayed on the employer's website or at visible places on the company premises. This will also have to be registered with the Chief Commissioner or State Commissioner. This policy has to mention the details of the facilities all disabled employees have been provided with.
- Appoint a Liaison Officer: The role of the liaison officer is to oversee the hiring of disabled people and make necessary provisions and facilities for them at the workplace.
- Identify vacancies - Private employers have to identify roles that are suitable for people with disabilities and mention those in the Equal Opportunity Policy. Companies that get incentives from the relevant government have to make sure that at least 5% of the work force is made up of people with benchmark disabilities.
- Prevent discrimination: The company head must make sure no person with disability is discriminated against because of his or her disability.
- Provide extra benefits - Private employers have to provide training facilities, assistive devices, and barrier free accessibility.
- Follow accessibility norms - This means the building structure of the establishment must follow the accessibility norms formulated by the government.
- Maintain records - Private companies with 20 or more employees must maintain records with details of the disabled persons who are employed with them.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 24, 2019 PM Modi's victory speech - Key Highlights
- Get-hooked May 27, 2019 Sports has many benefits for amputees, so go for it, say experts
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 'We have only one life, so live it to the fullest' - My Take by Krishnakumar PS
- Headlines May 26, 2019 PM Modi biopic earns 3 crore
- Accessibility May 23, 2019 Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
- Headlines May 26, 2019 #SidhuQuitPolitics trends on social media
- Get-hooked May 25, 2019 Some tips for making travel comfortable when you have a child with Down syndrome
- Get-hooked May 27, 2019 #BeingMom - In empowering her daughter, Sangeetha John's life became richer
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Mamata's nephew sends defamation notice to PM
- Get-hooked May 25, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News