RPWD 2016 - What private employers need to know
September 1, 2018
The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act provides for equality of opportunity. This is especially in matters relating to employment.
Under the Act, private employers now have to:
- Devise an Equal Opportunity Policy - This will have to be displayed on the employer's website or at visible places on the company premises. This will also have to be registered with the Chief Commissioner or State Commissioner. This policy has to mention the details of the facilities all disabled employees have been provided with.
- Appoint a Liaison Officer: The role of the liaison officer is to oversee the hiring of disabled people and make necessary provisions and facilities for them at the workplace.
- Identify vacancies - Private employers have to identify roles that are suitable for people with disabilities and mention those in the Equal Opportunity Policy. Companies that get incentives from the relevant government have to make sure that at least 5% of the work force is made up of people with benchmark disabilities.
- Prevent discrimination: The company head must make sure no person with disability is discriminated against because of his or her disability.
- Provide extra benefits - Private employers have to provide training facilities, assistive devices, and barrier free accessibility.
- Follow accessibility norms - This means the building structure of the establishment must follow the accessibility norms formulated by the government.
- Maintain records - Private companies with 20 or more employees must maintain records with details of the disabled persons who are employed with them.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
- #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 Hydrotherapist Amal Upadhyay is convinced about the healing powers of swimming
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 9 – Aug 16
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Ex-minister P Chidambaram arrested
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Kamal Nath’s nephew arrested for fraud
- Events August 21, 2019 Vadhu Var Melawa
- Technology August 22, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Prashant Gade wins Universal Design Award 2019 for Inali Arm
- Education August 21, 2019 Happy Hands School is enabling deaf children in rural Odisha to learn in sign language
- Headlines August 17, 2019 Karnataka boy felicitated for bravery
- Parasports August 15, 2019 Sekhar Goud is India's first triple amputee to scale Mount Elburus in Russia twice
- Parasports August 15, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Disability led Madhusudan to discover a talent for wheelchair tennis
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News