Shoe company steps up to help athlete Swapna Barman with special footwear for deformity
Swapna Barman has won India's hearts after winning gold at the Asian Games this year. Everyone is amazed by her remarkable achievement, especially given that she went through such excruciating pain to get this far.
21-year-old Swapna had spoken after win about the agony she suffered in the 800m run due to the fact that she has six toes in each foot. The rare deformity had caused her intense pain at every step.
Now a Chennai-based company has come forward to help her. Touched to hear of her suffering, Sudhanshu Mani of Integral Coach Factory has said he will help her.
Barman needs four different pairs of shoes for the heptathlon's seven events. Mani is in touch with show company Nike to design customised shoes for her. His company will bear the cost.
Barman comes from a poor family in West Bengal and her story has moved all of India.
Her father, who is a rickshaw-puller, has been bedridden for months after he had a stroke. Her mother had to leave her job as a tea garden worker too look after him.
A video of the family watching Barman's gold-winning achievement on TV has become a social media sensation in India.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Barbie goes inclusive, launches line of dolls with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019