Make all websites disabled-friendly, Bombay High Court directs Maharashtra government
September 3, 2018
The Bombay High Court has directed the Maharashtra government to make all its websites accessible and disabled-friendly in a time frame of three months.
This is after a Mumbai-based disability rights NGO filed a Public Interest Litigation (PIL)with the High Court regarding the inaccessibility of government websites.
The bench of justices said that the government must also clear a certification from the National Informatics Centreafter the procedure is completed. In 2009, an order was passed that all government websites be made universally accessible. The PIL was filed on the basis of this.
The court has clearly given a deadline of three months within which the government must provide an update of status.
Earlier this year, the Odisha government started working on making all its websites accessible to people with disabilities. This was to make technology and news updates easily available to disabled people. With more state governments coming forward to ensure inclusion, disabled people can now easily take part in the progress of the country.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
- Headlines June 11, 2019 PM says Rahul yet to recover from poll loss
- Events June 12, 2019 Messengers on Cycles 2019: Cyclothon event
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Archana Palahalli believes in facing odds with a smile
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
- Employment June 17, 2019 #AutismPower - SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
- Accessibility June 11, 2019 A warrior in the cause of digital accessibility - My Take by Sai Bhagat
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News