Make all websites disabled-friendly, Bombay High Court directs Maharashtra government
The Bombay High Court has directed the Maharashtra government to make all its websites accessible and disabled-friendly in a time frame of three months.
This is after a Mumbai-based disability rights NGO filed a Public Interest Litigation (PIL)with the High Court regarding the inaccessibility of government websites.
The bench of justices said that the government must also clear a certification from the National Informatics Centreafter the procedure is completed. In 2009, an order was passed that all government websites be made universally accessible. The PIL was filed on the basis of this.
The court has clearly given a deadline of three months within which the government must provide an update of status.
Earlier this year, the Odisha government started working on making all its websites accessible to people with disabilities. This was to make technology and news updates easily available to disabled people. With more state governments coming forward to ensure inclusion, disabled people can now easily take part in the progress of the country.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 21, 2019 In- Visible
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Salman Khan donates for families of Pulwama martyrs
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Headlines February 21, 2019 Court to Anil Ambani - Pay dues or go to jail
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility February 20, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019