Make all websites disabled-friendly, Bombay High Court directs Maharashtra government
The Bombay High Court has directed the Maharashtra government to make all its websites accessible and disabled-friendly in a time frame of three months.
This is after a Mumbai-based disability rights NGO filed a Public Interest Litigation (PIL)with the High Court regarding the inaccessibility of government websites.
The bench of justices said that the government must also clear a certification from the National Informatics Centreafter the procedure is completed. In 2009, an order was passed that all government websites be made universally accessible. The PIL was filed on the basis of this.
The court has clearly given a deadline of three months within which the government must provide an update of status.
Earlier this year, the Odisha government started working on making all its websites accessible to people with disabilities. This was to make technology and news updates easily available to disabled people. With more state governments coming forward to ensure inclusion, disabled people can now easily take part in the progress of the country.
Watch in Sign Language
- Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
December 10, 2018
- Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
December 9, 2018
- Bengaluru’s Namma Pride gets a thumbs up for its accessibility features
December 9, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events December 9, 2018 Mumbai Memory Cafe
- Headlines December 6, 2018 India vs Australia announce teams for Adelaide Test
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Resolving 26/11 Mumbai attacks is in Pakistan's interest, says Imran Khan
- Headlines December 6, 2018 Prime Minister Modi attends Priyanka-Nick’s reception party
- Headlines December 4, 2018 India’s first engineless ‘Train 18’ completes successful trial run
- Accessibility December 7, 2018 Disability Heroes - Prajith Jaipal is out to create a new India, accessible & barrier-free
- Get-hooked December 6, 2018 Disability Heroes - Neha Agarwal is opening corporate India’s eyes to the AB-ility in disability
- Headlines December 7, 2018 Priyanka Chopra article taken down after angry reactions on social media
- Get-hooked December 5, 2018 Disability Heroes - Deaf political candidate Sudeep Shukla is a sign of the changing times
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility December 4, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News