India has maximum kids under 5 years living with developmental disabilities
September 3, 2018
Over one crore. That's the number of children under five years with developmental disabilities in India. A study in the prestigious medical journal, The Lancet says India has the highest number in the world.
The study looked at 195 countries and six developmental disabilities. These included epilepsy, intellectual disability, autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), hearing loss and vision loss. With 1.15 crore, India had the maximum number in all the disabilities barring ADHD. China has the maximum number of children under five years with ADHD.
The study points to the need to make Identification of the major causes and effects of developmental disabilities an urgent priority. It also identifies the major challenges in this regard.
First, most of the countries in those regions lack functional health-care and social-care systems to support children with disabilities. Second, the lifetime costs of supporting children with disabilities are substantial and might further impoverish many poor families and communities. Third, societal stigma and unfavourable cultural beliefs place children at great risk of neglect, violence, or even infanticide. - The Lancet, Global Health.
The study has been funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. It says India also has the highest number of children living with long years of disabilities. The good news is that India has seen a slight decline in the number of overall cases from 1.20 crore in 1995 to 1.15 crore in 2016.
In all, the top 10 countries with the largest burden of developmental disability are India, China, Nigeria, Pakistan, Indonesia, Ethiopia, Egypt, Congo, Bangladesh and Tanzania.
The study emphasises the need for immediate action and says there is a need to look at identifying the major causes as well as look at the reasons for the high prevalence.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 20, 2019 IPL 2019 - Bengaluru beat Kolkata
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Second voting phase-Key points
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News