Enabling deaf children across India to find their voice in multiple ways, Vaani shows you how
September 5, 2018
Living with a disability can be an isolating experience and this is even more so for people in remote parts of India.
Something the Vaani Deaf Children's Foundation is working to change every single day. They are working to empower deaf children across the states of Karnataka, West Bengal and the north east.
Founded in 2005 by Brinda Crishna, Vaani reaches out to children below the age of 14 years. The idea is to catch them young and equip them with the skills needed to survive in the competitive world outside.
Vaani has successfully completed over 13 years in the field with the help of partnerships with local organizations!
They have an Individualised Educational Plan that focuses on giving attention to the individual needs of the child. Under this, the child, parent and teachers are supported and given sensitization lessons. All parents' must attend these classes with their children. This gives them an insight into their child's disability and they are informed and empowered to engage with their children in day-to-day activities.
Disabled people do not need sympathy. What they need is equal opportunity. We aim to bridge barriers and make communication easier for deaf children. Parents of deaf children are an important part of our programmes. This way, they can spread the word to other parents of disabled children and become community leaders.- Sumedha Joglekar, Director, Vaani Deaf Children Foundation.
Vaani has also won many awards in recognition of their work. They claim to have reached out to over 27,000 people. These include hearing impaired children, their parents and teachers. They aim to reach out to 30,000 deaf children by 2021.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Events June 17, 2019 Miss & Mister Deaf Stars 2019
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Mumbaikar Karan Shahh honoured with Bharat Prerna Award 2019
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Cycle Ride
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News