Autism Spectrum Disorder - Learn the types & symptoms
September 5, 2018
Autism Spectrum Disorder, or ASD, is a neurological and developmental disorder that starts in early childhood and lasts throughout a person's life.
ASD is present in different forms and in varying levels of severity. Signs typically show up when a child is between two to three years of age, which makes early diagnosis and intervention critical.
ASD affects the ability to communicate verbally, social interactions, and leisure activities.It is also five times more common among boys than among girls.
What causes autism
Research has been on for decades to locate the exact cause . The reasons could be many, and include environmental, biological, and genetic factors.
Types of ASD
There are three main types:
- Classic Autism
This is the common type and affects language or communication skill and social interaction. People with this type may also have an intellectual disability.
- Asperger Syndrome
This is a milder type that affects social skills and behaviors. However, it does not affect the language skills of a person in a significant way.
- Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD-NOS) or Atypical Autism
People with this disorder may show some signs of the previous two types, but not all of them. The signs are mild and may impact social and communication skills, but to a limited extent.
Signs of autism
Lack of response when called by name by the age of 12 months
Unable to point to objects by the age of 14 months.
Avoiding eye contact and preference for isolation.
Inability to understand or relate to feelings and emotions of others.
Difficulty in learning language and communication skills.
Tendency to repeat words.
Feeling upset over small or minor changes.
- Unusual reactions to sounds, smells, tastes, or looks.
Parents should remain alert for these signs and consult an expert. This is because early detection and intervention can play a critical role in the child's future. - Samyukta Arun, Autism parent
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Vir Chakra recommended for Air Force pilot
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News