Autism Spectrum Disorder - Learn the types & symptoms
September 5, 2018
Autism Spectrum Disorder, or ASD, is a neurological and developmental disorder that starts in early childhood and lasts throughout a person's life.
ASD is present in different forms and in varying levels of severity. Signs typically show up when a child is between two to three years of age, which makes early diagnosis and intervention critical.
ASD affects the ability to communicate verbally, social interactions, and leisure activities.It is also five times more common among boys than among girls.
What causes autism
Research has been on for decades to locate the exact cause . The reasons could be many, and include environmental, biological, and genetic factors.
Types of ASD
There are three main types:
- Classic Autism
This is the common type and affects language or communication skill and social interaction. People with this type may also have an intellectual disability.
- Asperger Syndrome
This is a milder type that affects social skills and behaviors. However, it does not affect the language skills of a person in a significant way.
- Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD-NOS) or Atypical Autism
People with this disorder may show some signs of the previous two types, but not all of them. The signs are mild and may impact social and communication skills, but to a limited extent.
Signs of autism
Lack of response when called by name by the age of 12 months
Unable to point to objects by the age of 14 months.
Avoiding eye contact and preference for isolation.
Inability to understand or relate to feelings and emotions of others.
Difficulty in learning language and communication skills.
Tendency to repeat words.
Feeling upset over small or minor changes.
- Unusual reactions to sounds, smells, tastes, or looks.
Parents should remain alert for these signs and consult an expert. This is because early detection and intervention can play a critical role in the child's future. - Samyukta Arun, Autism parent
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Celebrate Autism Pride Day, every day
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Employment June 17, 2019 SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Supreme Court orders release of arrested journalist
- Events June 12, 2019 Messengers on Cycles 2019: Cyclothon event
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Acid attack survivors hope SRK's support will lend greater focus to their campaign
- Headlines June 11, 2019 PM says Rahul yet to recover from poll loss
- Events June 13, 2019 Decoding Dementia
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News