Autism Spectrum Disorder - Learn the types & symptoms
Autism Spectrum Disorder, or ASD, is a neurological and developmental disorder that starts in early childhood and lasts throughout a person's life.
ASD is present in different forms and in varying levels of severity. Signs typically show up when a child is between two to three years of age, which makes early diagnosis and intervention critical.
ASD affects the ability to communicate verbally, social interactions, and leisure activities.It is also five times more common among boys than among girls.
What causes autism
Research has been on for decades to locate the exact cause . The reasons could be many, and include environmental, biological, and genetic factors.
Types of ASD
There are three main types:
- Classic Autism
This is the common type and affects language or communication skill and social interaction. People with this type may also have an intellectual disability.
- Asperger Syndrome
This is a milder type that affects social skills and behaviors. However, it does not affect the language skills of a person in a significant way.
- Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD-NOS) or Atypical Autism
People with this disorder may show some signs of the previous two types, but not all of them. The signs are mild and may impact social and communication skills, but to a limited extent.
Signs of autism
Lack of response when called by name by the age of 12 months
Unable to point to objects by the age of 14 months.
Avoiding eye contact and preference for isolation.
Inability to understand or relate to feelings and emotions of others.
Difficulty in learning language and communication skills.
Tendency to repeat words.
Feeling upset over small or minor changes.
- Unusual reactions to sounds, smells, tastes, or looks.
Parents should remain alert for these signs and consult an expert. This is because early detection and intervention can play a critical role in the child's future. - Samyukta Arun, Autism parent
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 The incredibly gifted Piyush Sharma defies all stereotypes regarding disability
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Kashmir Valley shuts down after terror attack
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 8, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News