21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Multiple Sclerosis
September 8, 2018
Multiple sclerosis - MS is a disease of the brain and spinal cord and affects the central nervous system. The nerves that carry signals from the brain to the rest of the body are damaged. The damage is caused by the immune system and it slowly attacks the protective covering around the nerve cells. The damage weakens the communication system of the body and the brain is no longer able to transmit instructions to other parts of the body. Multiple sclerosis is more common in women than in men.
Impact of Multiple sclerosis
MS causes severe fatigue, weakness and can lead to invisible disability that can greatly affect the life of a person with Multiple sclerosis may not appear to be disabled externally but life can be challenging for them.
It is important that MS patients be treated with compassion and not be judged. MS patients don't appear to be disabled but go through severe internal physical problems. - Swarnalatha J , founder of Swarga Foundation.
There are different symptoms and levels of severity of multiple sclerosis. Every person with the disease may have different signs and impacts. The most common signs and symptoms are:
- Urinary problems
- Balance issues while walking
- Hearing loss
- Facial pain
- Muscle spasms that cause pain
- Tingling or numbness
Treatment for MS
There is no cure for multiple sclerosis although research has been going on for years. It has been found that treatments can help in recovery from attacks and also assist in managing the symptoms of the disease.The inclusion of Multiple sclerosis to the list of disabilities covered under the RPWD ACT 2016 is expected to help patients in India. The RPWD Act 2016 promises to provide equal opportunities and rights to people with disabilities in India.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education May 17, 2019 'Kannada Pustaka' open online library is empowering thousands of visually impaired students
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Irfan signs up for Carribean Premier League players draft
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
- Employment May 16, 2019 Umbrella By Differently Abled empowers people with spinal cord injuries
- Accessibility May 16, 2019 Game changing innovations that enable inclusion - Global Accessibility Awareness Day special
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Clean chit for Mulayam Singh & son in corruption case
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Accessible Elections in India & lessons for the future
- Accessibility May 17, 2019 Anuprayaas is making railway stations inclusive & accessible for visually impaired people
- Headlines May 22, 2019 PM Modi pays tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on death anniversary
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Sensex witness steep high after exit poll results
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News