21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Multiple Sclerosis
September 8, 2018
Multiple sclerosis - MS is a disease of the brain and spinal cord and affects the central nervous system. The nerves that carry signals from the brain to the rest of the body are damaged. The damage is caused by the immune system and it slowly attacks the protective covering around the nerve cells. The damage weakens the communication system of the body and the brain is no longer able to transmit instructions to other parts of the body. Multiple sclerosis is more common in women than in men.
Impact of Multiple sclerosis
MS causes severe fatigue, weakness and can lead to invisible disability that can greatly affect the life of a person with Multiple sclerosis may not appear to be disabled externally but life can be challenging for them.
It is important that MS patients be treated with compassion and not be judged. MS patients don't appear to be disabled but go through severe internal physical problems. - Swarnalatha J , founder of Swarga Foundation.
There are different symptoms and levels of severity of multiple sclerosis. Every person with the disease may have different signs and impacts. The most common signs and symptoms are:
- Urinary problems
- Balance issues while walking
- Hearing loss
- Facial pain
- Muscle spasms that cause pain
- Tingling or numbness
Treatment for MS
There is no cure for multiple sclerosis although research has been going on for years. It has been found that treatments can help in recovery from attacks and also assist in managing the symptoms of the disease.The inclusion of Multiple sclerosis to the list of disabilities covered under the RPWD ACT 2016 is expected to help patients in India. The RPWD Act 2016 promises to provide equal opportunities and rights to people with disabilities in India.
Watch in Sign Language
- Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
July 20, 2019
- Parenting Corner - Adults with Autism
July 20, 2019
- Society for Empowerment of Deafblind aims to make the community aware of its rights
July 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Hrithik Roshan’s ‘Super 30’ hits theatres
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 Understanding Essential Oils for Autism, ADHD
- Headlines July 19, 2019 One conviction in high profile murder of UK teen in Goa
- Education July 15, 2019 Viewing the draft National Education Policy 2019 through the disability lens - Guest column by Shampa Sengupta
- Accessibility July 13, 2019 Trichy Central Library brings written word alive for new audiences with a section for deaf readers
- Events July 18, 2019 Exclusive Job Fair For Differently Abled
- Headlines July 14, 2019 Kumaraswamy calls for floor test amid political crisis
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Kangana accuses media of defamation
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 #RareDiseases - Indian Rett Syndrome Foundation is raising awareness about this genetic brain disorder
- Headlines July 19, 2019 Sylvester Stallone responds to Salman’s post on disabled fan
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News