21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Multiple Sclerosis
September 8, 2018
Multiple sclerosis - MS is a disease of the brain and spinal cord and affects the central nervous system. The nerves that carry signals from the brain to the rest of the body are damaged. The damage is caused by the immune system and it slowly attacks the protective covering around the nerve cells. The damage weakens the communication system of the body and the brain is no longer able to transmit instructions to other parts of the body. Multiple sclerosis is more common in women than in men.
Impact of Multiple sclerosis
MS causes severe fatigue, weakness and can lead to invisible disability that can greatly affect the life of a person with Multiple sclerosis may not appear to be disabled externally but life can be challenging for them.
It is important that MS patients be treated with compassion and not be judged. MS patients don't appear to be disabled but go through severe internal physical problems. - Swarnalatha J , founder of Swarga Foundation.
There are different symptoms and levels of severity of multiple sclerosis. Every person with the disease may have different signs and impacts. The most common signs and symptoms are:
- Urinary problems
- Balance issues while walking
- Hearing loss
- Facial pain
- Muscle spasms that cause pain
- Tingling or numbness
Treatment for MS
There is no cure for multiple sclerosis although research has been going on for years. It has been found that treatments can help in recovery from attacks and also assist in managing the symptoms of the disease.The inclusion of Multiple sclerosis to the list of disabilities covered under the RPWD ACT 2016 is expected to help patients in India. The RPWD Act 2016 promises to provide equal opportunities and rights to people with disabilities in India.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 15, 2019 Election Commission's voter helpline 1950 proves to be a letdown for disabled community in Chennai
- Get-hooked March 14, 2019 Madras High Court directs implementation of 3% job quota for disabled people, activists unhappy
- Events March 17, 2019 Accessible Text Creation Workshop
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Awareness about accessible election facilities still an issue in Arunachal Pradesh
- Events March 20, 2019 Samam Vidya & Tinkerama Summer camp
- Headlines March 20, 2019 Madhya Pradesh girl raped & killed, uncle & brothers accused
- Accessibility March 15, 2019 Discriminatory medical admission guidelines regarding disabled aspirants crush this Ranchi doctor's dream
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 First PM Modi, now Mamata Banerjee shocks & offends with comments about mental disability
- Events March 19, 2019 BGFI's session on STEM study - An Inclusive Avenue for the Blind
- Headlines March 15, 2019 21 opposition parties appeal to Supreme Court about EVMs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked March 16, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News