21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Multiple Sclerosis
Multiple sclerosis – MS is a disease of the brain and spinal cord and affects the central nervous system. The nerves that carry signals from the brain to the rest of the body are damaged. The damage is caused by the immune system and it slowly attacks the protective covering around the nerve cells. The damage weakens the communication system of the body and the brain is no longer able to transmit instructions to other parts of the body. Multiple sclerosis is more common in women than in men.
Impact of Multiple sclerosis
MS causes severe fatigue, weakness and can lead to invisible disability that can greatly affect the life of a person with Multiple sclerosis may not appear to be disabled externally but life can be challenging for them.
It is important that MS patients be treated with compassion and not be judged. MS patients don’t appear to be disabled but go through severe internal physical problems. - Swarnalatha J , founder of Swarga Foundation.
There are different symptoms and levels of severity of multiple sclerosis. Every person with the disease may have different signs and impacts. The most common signs and symptoms are:
- Urinary problems
- Balance issues while walking
- Hearing loss
- Facial pain
- Muscle spasms that cause pain
- Tingling or numbness
Treatment for MS
There is no cure for multiple sclerosis although research has been going on for years. It has been found that treatments can help in recovery from attacks and also assist in managing the symptoms of the disease.The inclusion of Multiple sclerosis to the list of disabilities covered under the RPWD ACT 2016 is expected to help patients in India. The RPWD Act 2016 promises to provide equal opportunities and rights to people with disabilities in India.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 21, 2019 PM launches National Museum of Indian Cinema
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Dhoni becomes 4th Indian to record 1,000 one day runs in Australia
- Get-hooked January 22, 2019 Workshop on children with ADHD, know more
- Parasports January 23, 2019 Para badminton camp in Mumbai seeks to nurture talent, attract support
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Fed up of delays in updated guidelines for disabled MBBS aspirants, activists approach minister
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Sports are ideal for children with autism. Here is how.
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Senior BJP leader makes offensive remarks about Mayawati
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Early intervention in hearing impairments matters. Here's why
- Headlines January 18, 2019 Navy divers find second body in Meghalaya mine
- Parasports January 17, 2019 Kerala government move to hold marathon with disabled category welcomed
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News