This rolling wheelchair makes it easy to go up and down the stairs
September 8, 2018
For wheelchair users or elderly people living in buildings without lifts, going out can be a difficult affair. Taking the wheelchair up and down the stairs is a long and painful process, enough to keep anyone indoors.
Now thanks to a company called SeeDee, their lives can change. SeeDee's rolling wheelchair is different from other wheelchairs as it can climb up and down the stairs smoothly, in a safe and controlled speed.
Company founder Jamshed Dalal said he decided to make such a wheelchair available after he struggled to get one for his father six years ago. There was nothing of this type available in India, so Dalal decided to import the parts and assemble it with additional accessories.
I found that Found out that there is no organised way of purchase and service for these products in India. People are selling many wheelchairs without proper pricing or even support for spares and service. We are importing and assembling with additional accessories and also have made modifications to suit Indian conditions. - Jamshed Dalal, Founder, SeeDee
The wheelchair, which costs Rs 1,10,000, is battery operated and compact. This makes it easy to fit it in most car dicky's. It can also be easily used in places where other wheelchairs struggle. An assistant is need to operate the wheelchair.
Rajiv Mane's father has been using it for over eight months now. He says it has changed his 88-year-old father's life.
"My father has a neurological problem and cannot walk. Most wheelchairs don't work in our house because there are different levels and it is all up and down. He was confined to his room for almost four months and had become depressed. After we got this rolling wheelchair, he is back to his old self."
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable deaf voters make an informed choice
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News