Blind students to gather at Mumbai event to honour those who helped them achieve their goals
For blind students, giving exams is a challenging prospect, given the difficulty in getting the right kind of teachers and writers, or scribes. Without a good reader and writer, taking an exam can be hard when you are visually impaired.
The role of scribes and readers is crucial, as he or she reads out the question paper to the blind student and writes down the answers dictated by the candidate.
To honour scribes who make such a difference, the Blind Graduates Forum Of India (BGFI) organizes an annual event. Called The Readers and Writers Day, it is an occasion to say thank you to the scribes who make such a difference.
The BGFI is a nonprofit organization that works for the empowerment of visually impaired and blind people.
This year's event will be in Mumbai on 22 September. It will be attended by blind students who have completed their graduation this year and their readers and writers.
The support of family and friends has helped me move forward in my life. My scribe, Kavinaya Fernando, helped me write my graduation exams and I am forever thankful to her for the efforts she made. – Penav Mota, Blind student
At the event apart from honouring the scribes, blind students will also share the stories of their academic success. The chief guest at the occasion is Amit Jain, who is regarded as an inspirational figure by many in the disabled community. Jain is one of the first blind students to join the prestigious Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIM-A).
BGFI hopes to see a large number of blind graduates attending the event.
Volunteers take out time from their busy schedules to write exams for blind students and do it selflessly! It is an emotional moment for blind graduates when they thank the writers, readers and show their gratitude.- Sadaf Khan, Secretary BGFI
For more details about BGFI and the event click here! You can also contact BGFI on 9892145699.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Find a life partner at this disability matrimonial event
- Headlines January 16, 2019 MeToo: Film industry members defend Raju Hirani
- Headlines January 15, 2019 Gujarat becomes first state to implement 10% reservation for general category
- Events January 20, 2019 Parent Workshop on Toilet Training
- Events January 19, 2019 Workshop on Secrets to Deal with ADHD Children
- Get-hooked January 15, 2019 Samanvai spreads smiles to lives of disabled people in Hyderabad
- Headlines January 19, 2019 Heavy fog disrupts flights, trains in Delhi
- Get-hooked January 15, 2019 Inclusion & music come together at this event in Delhi's Hans Raj College
- Get-hooked January 16, 2019 Reach Out camps are enabling disabled people to experience the magic of yoga
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked January 15, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News