Blind students to gather at Mumbai event to honour those who helped them achieve their goals
September 11, 2018
For blind students, giving exams is a challenging prospect, given the difficulty in getting the right kind of teachers and writers, or scribes. Without a good reader and writer, taking an exam can be hard when you are visually impaired.
The role of scribes and readers is crucial, as he or she reads out the question paper to the blind student and writes down the answers dictated by the candidate.
To honour scribes who make such a difference, the Blind Graduates Forum Of India (BGFI) organizes an annual event. Called The Readers and Writers Day, it is an occasion to say thank you to the scribes who make such a difference.
The BGFI is a nonprofit organization that works for the empowerment of visually impaired and blind people.
This year's event will be in Mumbai on 22 September. It will be attended by blind students who have completed their graduation this year and their readers and writers.
The support of family and friends has helped me move forward in my life. My scribe, Kavinaya Fernando, helped me write my graduation exams and I am forever thankful to her for the efforts she made. - Penav Mota, Blind student
At the event apart from honouring the scribes, blind students will also share the stories of their academic success. The chief guest at the occasion is Amit Jain, who is regarded as an inspirational figure by many in the disabled community. Jain is one of the first blind students to join the prestigious Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIM-A).
BGFI hopes to see a large number of blind graduates attending the event.
Volunteers take out time from their busy schedules to write exams for blind students and do it selflessly! It is an emotional moment for blind graduates when they thank the writers, readers and show their gratitude.- Sadaf Khan, Secretary BGFI
For more details about BGFI and the event click here! You can also contact BGFI on 9892145699.
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Autism and Head banging
August 18, 2019
- Tips to lead a healthy lifestyle when you are an amputee
August 18, 2019
- Kerala minister K K Shailaja steps in for deaf child affected in the floods
August 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend 17 Aug-18 Aug
- Get-Hooked August 15, 2019 Visually impaired singer Muskan uses music to connect with the larger world
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 9 – Aug 16
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Telephone services, Internet partially back in J&K
- Accessibility August 14, 2019 Kerala floods underline critical need to frame inclusive disaster risk management policies
- Headlines August 18, 2019 ‘Mission Mangal’ gets grand opening at box office
- Headlines August 14, 2019 Expect little international support on J&K, says Pakistan foreign minister
- Get-Hooked August 14, 2019 Delhi Public School Bengaluru North brings an inclusive touch to its crowdfunding initiatives
- Get-Hooked August 14, 2019 Young innovator Prashant Gade seeks support to give prosthetic arms for free to the needy
- Headlines August 13, 2019 Cold Eid celebrations in Srinagar as restrictions return
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News