Blind students to gather at Mumbai event to honour those who helped them achieve their goals
September 11, 2018
For blind students, giving exams is a challenging prospect, given the difficulty in getting the right kind of teachers and writers, or scribes. Without a good reader and writer, taking an exam can be hard when you are visually impaired.
The role of scribes and readers is crucial, as he or she reads out the question paper to the blind student and writes down the answers dictated by the candidate.
To honour scribes who make such a difference, the Blind Graduates Forum Of India (BGFI) organizes an annual event. Called The Readers and Writers Day, it is an occasion to say thank you to the scribes who make such a difference.
The BGFI is a nonprofit organization that works for the empowerment of visually impaired and blind people.
This year's event will be in Mumbai on 22 September. It will be attended by blind students who have completed their graduation this year and their readers and writers.
The support of family and friends has helped me move forward in my life. My scribe, Kavinaya Fernando, helped me write my graduation exams and I am forever thankful to her for the efforts she made. - Penav Mota, Blind student
At the event apart from honouring the scribes, blind students will also share the stories of their academic success. The chief guest at the occasion is Amit Jain, who is regarded as an inspirational figure by many in the disabled community. Jain is one of the first blind students to join the prestigious Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIM-A).
BGFI hopes to see a large number of blind graduates attending the event.
Volunteers take out time from their busy schedules to write exams for blind students and do it selflessly! It is an emotional moment for blind graduates when they thank the writers, readers and show their gratitude.- Sadaf Khan, Secretary BGFI
For more details about BGFI and the event click here! You can also contact BGFI on 9892145699.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Chennai tourist attraction, Elliot’s beach, set to become wheelchair accessible
- Events March 20, 2019 Session by Smrithy Rajesh
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Pakistan will not broadcast IPL 2019 matches
- Headlines March 20, 2019 Madhya Pradesh girl raped & killed, uncle & brothers accused
- Events March 20, 2019 Awareness Session on Prevention of Sexual Harassment at Workplace
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 A unique session on STEM education for blind students
- Events March 20, 2019 4th National Blind Football Tournament
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Indian cricket team gears up for World Cup 2019
- Headlines March 16, 2019 Mumbai bridge collapse - Families demand answers
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Rewire your brain – Guest Column by Dr Elavatsala Sharma
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked March 16, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News