Blind students to gather at Mumbai event to honour those who helped them achieve their goals
For blind students, giving exams is a challenging prospect, given the difficulty in getting the right kind of teachers and writers, or scribes. Without a good reader and writer, taking an exam can be hard when you are visually impaired.
The role of scribes and readers is crucial, as he or she reads out the question paper to the blind student and writes down the answers dictated by the candidate.
To honour scribes who make such a difference, the Blind Graduates Forum Of India (BGFI) organizes an annual event. Called The Readers and Writers Day, it is an occasion to say thank you to the scribes who make such a difference.
The BGFI is a nonprofit organization that works for the empowerment of visually impaired and blind people.
This year's event will be in Mumbai on 22 September. It will be attended by blind students who have completed their graduation this year and their readers and writers.
The support of family and friends has helped me move forward in my life. My scribe, Kavinaya Fernando, helped me write my graduation exams and I am forever thankful to her for the efforts she made. – Penav Mota, Blind student
At the event apart from honouring the scribes, blind students will also share the stories of their academic success. The chief guest at the occasion is Amit Jain, who is regarded as an inspirational figure by many in the disabled community. Jain is one of the first blind students to join the prestigious Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIM-A).
BGFI hopes to see a large number of blind graduates attending the event.
Volunteers take out time from their busy schedules to write exams for blind students and do it selflessly! It is an emotional moment for blind graduates when they thank the writers, readers and show their gratitude.- Sadaf Khan, Secretary BGFI
For more details about BGFI and the event click here! You can also contact BGFI on 9892145699.
Watch in Sign Language
- First ever scientific study establishes the magical link between music & autism
November 14, 2018
- Small touches that make love stronger when you date a deaf person
November 14, 2018
- Help your child with autism sleep better
November 14, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 10, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Technology November 12, 2018 Manovue glove opens doors to visually impaired people who do not know Braille
- Events November 12, 2018 Inclov Social Spaces Mumbai - New Year Celebration
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Marvel Comics creator Stan Lee dies at 95
- Get-hooked November 10, 2018 Abhaya Care Foundation lends a helping hand to children with disabilities
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Small touches that make love stronger when you date a deaf person
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 The Executive Age of children with ADHD, find out more
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Rohit Sharma in list of batsmen with over 200 boundaries in T20Is
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Deepika and Ranveer want wedding guests to donate to charity
- Get-hooked November 8, 2018 The story behind India's 1st inclusive expedition to Kilimanjaro
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 13, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 10, 2018