All eyes on Chhattisgarh, India's 1 state to implement new accessible voting guidelines
September 11, 2018
The coming Assembly elections in Chhattisgarh will be the litmus test for the Election Commission of India (ECI). This will be the first state to implement the various measures put into place by the EC to make the polling process disabled-friendly.
What makes this different is that for the first time, Sugam Election Accessibility Observers will be appointed to overlook the voting process and help people with disabilities vote during elections.
In his various media interactions, Chief Election Commissioner O P Rawat has underlined the various steps taken. "All polling premises will have sturdy ramps for voters in wheelchairs. A database of disabled voters is being created and such electors would be enrolled and their list shall be provided to booth-level officers so that they can be given special assistance."
Steps that have been welcomed by the National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP), which was the first to raise the call for accessible elections as far back as 2004.
We at NCPEDP salute the ECI for making the representation and participation of persons with disabilities a reality! We hope that all ministries and departments take the cue and create a core group on accessibility and inclusion so that all programmes have the rights of persons with disabilities embedded from the very inception. It is also a great way to capture data on persons with disabilities so policymakers become aware of the enormity of the situation. - Som Mittal, Chairman, NCPEDP
The ECI had launched a strategic framework on Accessible Elections earlier this year at the end of a two-day national level consultation. Among the many measures announced was:
- Printing of photo ID cards with Braille
- Accessible communication awareness materials
- A mobile phone app to motivate & educate the voters
- Appointment of Disability Coordinates at the Assembly constituency, district and State levels.
- Step by step training on accessibility to poll officials
- Set up auxiliary polling stations
- Provide accessible photo voter slips
- Sign-language window in all audio visual training and advertisement content material for deaf people.
- Free transport facility to people with disabilities and their assistants.
Watch in Sign Language
- Best practice in early screening for deaf children in Mumbai - A study by The Stephen High School for the Deaf
March 22, 2019
- Kochi Muziris Biennale introduces Braille texts, becomes torch-bearers for inclusive art festivals
March 22, 2019
- Karnataka govt introduces accessibility features for elections, disability groups raise questions
March 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 Some tips to help children with learning disabilities
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 Madras High Court increases aid for disabled people under assistance scheme by 25%
- Events March 20, 2019 On The Path To Success - My Journey With My Child
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 In enabling son Advait to unlock his potential, mom Smrithy came into her own as an empowered parent
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Anil Ambani pays dues, avoids jail term
- Accessibility March 15, 2019 With 'Get Going', Chennai NGO Vidya Sagar aims to get disabled people out & about
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Narendra Modi launches ‘Main Bhi Chowkidar’ campaign
- Parasports March 20, 2019 India on a roll at the 2019 Special Olympics World Games
- Events March 17, 2019 Accessible Text Creation Workshop
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News