21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Cerebral Palsy
September 13, 2018
As part of series on the 21 disabilities included under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (RPWD) Act, 2016 , today we talk about Cerebral Palsy (CP).
Cerebral palsy is a group of permanent movement disorders caused by damage to the brain or abnormal development of the brain. The impact on the brain can take place before, during, or immediately after birth of a baby while the brain is still under development.
CP impacts the ability of a person to control muscles and physical movements. The severity of cerebral palsy is very much dependent on the type of brain injury, its location and level of brain damage.
I believe CP stands for Capable Person and a person with CP is capable to do what so called able bodied person can do. Riitesh Sinha, innovator with CP
Signs & symptoms
The indicators of CP appear at a very young age of the baby or preschool years. Cerebral palsy causes impairments of bodily movement.
Some of the common symptoms are as follows.
- Differences in muscle tone, making them either too stiff or too floppy
- Stiff muscles and exaggerated or normal reflexes - spasticity
- Lack of muscle coordination- ataxia
- Tremors or involuntary movements of muscles
- Delays in learning motor skills
- Difficulty in walking and abnormal gait
- Excessive drooling or problems with swallowing
- Delays in speech development
- Difficulty with motions, such as picking up a crayon or spoon
CP is associated with brain damage and patents may also have the below symptoms.
- Vision and hearing difficulties
- Intellectual disabilities and Mental health conditions
- Abnormal touch or pain perceptions
- Oral diseases
- Urinary issues
Cure and treatment
There is no cure for CP but the symptoms can be controlled and managed through medications and therapy and also surgery in some cases.
I believe that the biggest struggle the disabled face in India is social discrimination. People regard us as useless and even though many of us have the necessary qualifications, we rarely get hired. Riitesh Sinha, innovator with CP
It is crucial that parents identify the signs at an early age in their babies as treatment can make a lot of difference in the future life of the child.
Watch in Sign Language
- "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
March 20, 2019
- Madras High Court increases aid for disabled people under assistance scheme by 25%
March 20, 2019
- Child prodigy Joshua Beckford proves disability need not be a roadblock to your dreams
March 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 14, 2019 Beat It! Drums and Mridangam Show
- Headlines March 20, 2019 One CRPF jawan killed, six others injured in naxal attack
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Goa CM Manohar Parrikar is no more
- Get-hooked March 14, 2019 Madras High Court directs implementation of 3% job quota for disabled people, activists unhappy
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Medical Council of India changes postgraduate admission rules only for students with locomotor disabilities
- Headlines March 15, 2019 Boeing 737 MAX 8 banned by several countries after 2nd crash in 5 months
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Chennai tourist attraction, Elliot’s beach, set to become wheelchair accessible
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 #WonderWoman - Priya Bhargav embodies the warrior spirit in many ways
- Accessibility March 19, 2019 Rising Star Tours & Travels is helping visually impaired people experience the magic of new places
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 Parenting corner- Managing stress
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked March 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News