21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Cerebral Palsy
September 13, 2018
As part of series on the 21 disabilities included under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (RPWD) Act, 2016 , today we talk about Cerebral Palsy (CP).
Cerebral palsy is a group of permanent movement disorders caused by damage to the brain or abnormal development of the brain. The impact on the brain can take place before, during, or immediately after birth of a baby while the brain is still under development.
CP impacts the ability of a person to control muscles and physical movements. The severity of cerebral palsy is very much dependent on the type of brain injury, its location and level of brain damage.
I believe CP stands for Capable Person and a person with CP is capable to do what so called able bodied person can do. Riitesh Sinha, innovator with CP
Signs & symptoms
The indicators of CP appear at a very young age of the baby or preschool years. Cerebral palsy causes impairments of bodily movement.
Some of the common symptoms are as follows.
- Differences in muscle tone, making them either too stiff or too floppy
- Stiff muscles and exaggerated or normal reflexes - spasticity
- Lack of muscle coordination- ataxia
- Tremors or involuntary movements of muscles
- Delays in learning motor skills
- Difficulty in walking and abnormal gait
- Excessive drooling or problems with swallowing
- Delays in speech development
- Difficulty with motions, such as picking up a crayon or spoon
CP is associated with brain damage and patents may also have the below symptoms.
- Vision and hearing difficulties
- Intellectual disabilities and Mental health conditions
- Abnormal touch or pain perceptions
- Oral diseases
- Urinary issues
Cure and treatment
There is no cure for CP but the symptoms can be controlled and managed through medications and therapy and also surgery in some cases.
I believe that the biggest struggle the disabled face in India is social discrimination. People regard us as useless and even though many of us have the necessary qualifications, we rarely get hired. Riitesh Sinha, innovator with CP
It is crucial that parents identify the signs at an early age in their babies as treatment can make a lot of difference in the future life of the child.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Clean chit for Mulayam Singh & son in corruption case
- Technology May 23, 2019 #TechThursdays - Augmenta11y, an app developed by students, helps children with dyslexia read better
- Headlines May 23, 2019 Election 2019 - Sensex at 40K as leads show 2nd term for PM Modi
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Meet the young adults with autism to get their fingers inked for the first time
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Vivek Oberoi deletes offensive tweet about Aishwarya, apologises
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Accessible Elections in India & lessons for the future
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Parenting Corner - Feeling Guilty
- Employment May 17, 2019 La-Monnaie Skills enables disabled youth to flower into resourceful, contributing citizens
- Education May 23, 2019 Hyderabad schools strictly warned not to deny admission to children with disabilities
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 #BeingMom - Vinayana Khurana's creative side was enhanced by mother Neerja
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News