21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Cerebral Palsy
As part of series on the 21 disabilities included under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (RPWD) Act, 2016 , today we talk about Cerebral Palsy (CP).
Cerebral palsy is a group of permanent movement disorders caused by damage to the brain or abnormal development of the brain. The impact on the brain can take place before, during, or immediately after birth of a baby while the brain is still under development.
CP impacts the ability of a person to control muscles and physical movements. The severity of cerebral palsy is very much dependent on the type of brain injury, its location and level of brain damage.
I believe CP stands for Capable Person and a person with CP is capable to do what so called able bodied person can do. Riitesh Sinha, innovator with CP
Signs & symptoms
The indicators of CP appear at a very young age of the baby or preschool years. Cerebral palsy causes impairments of bodily movement.
Some of the common symptoms are as follows.
• Differences in muscle tone, making them either too stiff or too floppy
• Stiff muscles and exaggerated or normal reflexes - spasticity
• Lack of muscle coordination- ataxia
• Tremors or involuntary movements of muscles
• Delays in learning motor skills
• Difficulty in walking and abnormal gait
• Excessive drooling or problems with swallowing
• Delays in speech development
• Difficulty with motions, such as picking up a crayon or spoon
CP is associated with brain damage and patents may also have the below symptoms.
• Vision and hearing difficulties
• Intellectual disabilities and Mental health conditions
• Abnormal touch or pain perceptions
• Oral diseases
• Urinary issues
Cure and treatment
There is no cure for CP but the symptoms can be controlled and managed through medications and therapy and also surgery in some cases.
I believe that the biggest struggle the disabled face in India is social discrimination. People regard us as useless and even though many of us have the necessary qualifications, we rarely get hired. Riitesh Sinha, innovator with CP
It is crucial that parents identify the signs at an early age in their babies as treatment can make a lot of difference in the future life of the child.
Watch in Sign Language
- Why financial planning is key when you have a child with a disability
November 21, 2018
- Some tips to make day to day activities easier for disabled children
November 21, 2018
- What causes autism? Some information
November 21, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Samsung to launch smartphone with four rear cameras in India this month
- Headlines November 16, 2018 South African President to be Republic Day chief guest
- Events November 21, 2018 Workshop on Child Safety and Protection
- Headlines November 21, 2018 Xiaomi to launch Redmi Note 6 Pro in India this week
- Events November 21, 2018 Teaching with Emotional Intelligence’
- Get-hooked November 20, 2018 This Bengaluru NGO leaves a good message to society
- Parasports November 15, 2018 Mumbai to play host to second wheelchair basketball camp in November
- Headlines November 17, 2018 Priyanka to get married in Jodhpur, preparations are on
- Accessibility November 18, 2018 Iconic film Sholay to be screened with audio description at IFFI 2018
- Parasports November 19, 2018 Coach Jaspal Dhani on a mission to put India on the global map of wheelchair basketball
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News