Have a place to go & need a modified vehicle? Dial Mobility India cabs in Bengaluru
Gone are days when the prospect of traveling anywhere was a matter of worry for people with disabilities. More options are becoming available for accessible transport, at least in the cities.
One of the cities that is way ahead of the rest is Bengaluru. Many NGOs here provide vehicles that are modified for disabled people. Among them is Mobility India based in Bengaluru.
Mobility India is a registered society that was launched in 1994. They have spread their wings to Guwahati as well. The organization has won national and state-level awards for their contribution towards creating a barrier-free environment.
The NGO's aim is to build inclusion, empowerment, protect human rights and promote accessibility for disabled people.
They decided to look at the space of accessible transport in the year 2000, when they found that travel for people with disabilities was such a challenge.
Most times, a disabled person has to be carried into a vehicle by a caregiver or a driver. This affects their dignity, especially of disabled women. That is when Mobility India decided to look into providing better transport facilities for disabled people. - Albina Shankar, Executive Director, Mobility India.
From two Maruti vans fitted with wheelchair ramps, today Mobility India has a much bigger fleet of accessible vehicles. They have five accessible vans, one in Guwahati and four in Bengaluru.
Help came from Delhi's Swayamp Foundation in 2017 when it donated three vehicles. This has made commuting smoother for disabled people and the elderly in
Mobility India currently offers services within Bengaluru city. They help out people with temporary physical disabilities as well, like fractures.
"More disabled people are now able to take part in family functions or even visit doctors without any hassle. We believe that disabled people must be included in mainstream activities. Hence, providing them accessible transport is important", says Shankar.
Mobility India is hopeful that more people will come forward and start making their vehicles disabled-friendly. And the NGO is more than happy to help them do so. This is a movement they want to build - to enable people with disabilities to become independent.
Want to book a Mobility India cab? Call 080 26492222 or 080 26597337.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 17, 2018 Mithali Raj is highest T20I run scorer in India, beats Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma
- Accessibility November 19, 2018 #MeToo moment eludes India's disabled women, Tamil Nadu study reveals extent of invisibility
- Headlines November 18, 2018 India-Australia cricket series to begin on 21 November
- Get-hooked November 20, 2018 It is never the end unless you believe it to be - My Take by Thasveer Muhammed, model, actor & motivational speaker
- Get-hooked November 20, 2018 Delhi government move to set up ministry for disabled people meets with cautious response
- Headlines November 20, 2018 Shah Rukh Khan champions Air India on social media
- Get-hooked November 19, 2018 Some driving tips for people with disabilities
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 17, 2018