Trending stories on Newz Hook this week!
Dear NewzHook readers! Here are the stories that were trending this week!
Delhi High Court finds merit in a petition that says making Indian Sign language should be made official. This week it admitted a PIL to make ISL among India’s official languages. If this goes through, ISL will be the 23rd official language of India. The petition comes up on 10 December so watch this space closely for further developments!
Wheelchair basketball is certainly going places and looks like it is emerging as one of India’s most popular para sports. Last week the Wheelchair Basketball Federation of India held its first workshop in Manipur, at Imphal and this week it went to Goa, where it was attended by a senior Sports Ministry official. Great news for para sports fans!
Chhattisgarh is going all out to implement the Election Commission’s new Accessible Voting Guidelines. For the first time, there will be Accessibility Observers to monitor the voting process to make sure people with disabilities can cast their votes easily. This is an election that everyone will be watching closely!
And finally, the Boccia National Championship was held in Chennai which saw over 20 taking from across India taking part. The trophy was won by the Rural Development Trust from Andhra Pradesh. A Paralympic sport, Boccia is played by people with developmental disabilities. There are plenty of players raring to represent India in the 2020 Paralympics in this sport!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Employment January 22, 2019 At India Business Disability Network launch, industry leaders champion workplace inclusion
- Parasports January 22, 2019 “My blade are my wings to fly”- My Take by Sajesh Krishnan, Kerala’s first blade runner
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Find a life partner at this disability matrimonial event
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Parenting Disability: Me as an orthpedically challenged child - Guest Column by Payal Kukreja
- Headlines January 22, 2019 'Uri: The Surgical Strike' becomes the 1st hit of 2019
- Technology January 20, 2019 Assistive technologies help children with Down syndrome. Here's how
- Parasports January 20, 2019 Samarthanam Trust, Pinkathon to.organize ultra-marathon for visually impaired people
- Employment January 17, 2019 How to make the workplace suitable for people with disabilities
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Teen prodigy Satvik Sharma expresses himself through incredible works of art
- Accessibility January 18, 2019 Goa Carnival 2019 promises to be wheelchair accessible
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked January 9, 2019
Get-hooked January 19, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News