We need a world that does not discriminate against us - My Take by Anjurani Joy, record winner in jar lifting
September 18, 2018
In My Take this week we have Anjurani Joy from Kerala. Roy is a wheelchair user who has set two world records in jar lifting.
I was born with a disability, so I have been using a wheelchair all 30 years of my life. I live with my parents and siblings in Kochi. My parents are my biggest pillars of strength, and have been with me through thick and thin. I have a degree in sociology and have been experimenting with my skills.
My tryst with jar lifting began around 13 years back. I was watching television when I saw someone jar lifting and was quite fascinated! Out of curiosity, I tried doing the same with two glasses. It made me feel so good that I kept practicing with more weights. I realized that I could hold weights with my two fingers. Now I can lift up to two kgs. It is quite a stress buster!
I lifted a one kg glass jar for over a minute with my two fingers and set two records so far. My goal is to grab the World Guinness record. That needs a lot of practice of course but I am well on my way.
I love experimenting with my skills. I do not believe in just confining myself to one task. Mirror writing is something I have taken up with lots of passion. So basically, I can write with both my hands at the same time in English and Malayalam. I use both my hands to write from left to right. This can be read as a mirror image!
I am also skilled at video editing. I have done a few advertisements and also edit videos for the YouTube channel Plavila. The channel deals with wedding events, cultural programs and so on. So I can sit at home and work without any hassles.
I am also part of Thanal Paraplegic Welfare Society that works towards empowering wheelchair users. We do this through cultural programs and camps. I have a Facebook page named Anjoos Collections where I sell handmade jewelry. I have been getting great responses and hope to start a boutique soon.
I love to go outdoors, nut have to rely on someone due to my disability. I feel that our government has a long way to go when it comes to making places accessible. I would love to go watch a movie but there are very few accessible theaters, except for a few malls with multiplexes?
I run a business on my own, and face many challenges. One of the main ones being that people are not willing to pay for the work that a disabled person does. They have this attitude that they are doing us a favor by purchasing our products. One must understand that we do not want sympathy. What we need is the right attitude that recognizes our work.
I feel that people must change their attitudes towards disability. We are just as strong and efficient like any other person.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
August 21, 2019
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology August 15, 2019 'Smart Car Seat for Differently-Abled' gets a thumbs up for innovation & creativity
- Technology August 21, 2019 #InclusionChamps: Bleetech’s human-centric approach wins them Universal Design Award 2019
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Parenting Corner- Motivating children
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Kamal Nath’s nephew arrested for fraud
- Technology August 20, 2019 New robots to assist sportspersons at 2020 Tokyo Paralympics
- Events August 21, 2019 Vadhu Var Melawa
- Get-Hooked August 21, 2019 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Ex-minister P Chidambaram arrested
- Accessibility August 22, 2019 Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
- Education August 21, 2019 Happy Hands School is enabling deaf children in rural Odisha to learn in sign language
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News