We need a world that does not discriminate against us - My Take by Anjurani Joy, record winner in jar lifting
In My Take this week we have Anjurani Joy from Kerala. Roy is a wheelchair user who has set two world records in jar lifting.
I was born with a disability, so I have been using a wheelchair all 30 years of my life. I live with my parents and siblings in Kochi. My parents are my biggest pillars of strength, and have been with me through thick and thin. I have a degree in sociology and have been experimenting with my skills.
My tryst with jar lifting began around 13 years back. I was watching television when I saw someone jar lifting and was quite fascinated! Out of curiosity, I tried doing the same with two glasses. It made me feel so good that I kept practicing with more weights. I realized that I could hold weights with my two fingers. Now I can lift up to two kgs. It is quite a stress buster!
I lifted a one kg glass jar for over a minute with my two fingers and set two records so far. My goal is to grab the World Guinness record. That needs a lot of practice of course but I am well on my way.
I love experimenting with my skills. I do not believe in just confining myself to one task. Mirror writing is something I have taken up with lots of passion. So basically, I can write with both my hands at the same time in English and Malayalam. I use both my hands to write from left to right. This can be read as a mirror image!
I am also skilled at video editing. I have done a few advertisements and also edit videos for the YouTube channel Plavila. The channel deals with wedding events, cultural programs and so on. So I can sit at home and work without any hassles.
I am also part of Thanal Paraplegic Welfare Society that works towards empowering wheelchair users. We do this through cultural programs and camps. I have a Facebook page named Anjoos Collections where I sell handmade jewelry. I have been getting great responses and hope to start a boutique soon.
I love to go outdoors, nut have to rely on someone due to my disability. I feel that our government has a long way to go when it comes to making places accessible. I would love to go watch a movie but there are very few accessible theaters, except for a few malls with multiplexes?
I run a business on my own, and face many challenges. One of the main ones being that people are not willing to pay for the work that a disabled person does. They have this attitude that they are doing us a favor by purchasing our products. One must understand that we do not want sympathy. What we need is the right attitude that recognizes our work.
I feel that people must change their attitudes towards disability. We are just as strong and efficient like any other person.
Watch in Sign Language
- This Ability - Gift Abled - Inclusiveness - Guest Column by Richa Sharma, Special Educator
December 10, 2018
- Understanding Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
December 10, 2018
- 4% job reservation for disabled people announced in Goa
December 10, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 Understanding Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
- Headlines December 6, 2018 Vijay Mallya offers to pay 100% loans back to the banks
- Technology December 10, 2018 Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
- Get-hooked December 9, 2018 Stay healthy & fit in a wheelchair. Here's how
- Headlines December 8, 2018 PM Narendra Modi meets UP Chief Minister on Bulandshahr violence
- Headlines December 5, 2018 2.0 may soon become Akshay Kumar’s most successful film
- Accessibility December 4, 2018 Big Bazaar leads the way with a Quiet Hour for shoppers on the autism spectrum, a World Disability Day special
- Get-hooked December 9, 2018 These disabled youngsters find their passion in something unique
- Accessibility December 5, 2018 PVR's Accessible Cinema Program shows the way forward in inclusion
- Headlines December 8, 2018 Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje accuses opposition leader of body-shaming
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 10, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News