Stargazing now possible for visually impaired people with Astreos app
We all love looking at the night sky and enjoying the beautiful stars and moon that decorates the sky. But for a blind person, all these are far from reality. Now, thanks to a new app called Astreos, both night and day sky experiences are a reality for people who are blind and visually impaired.
The app has been developed by two young engineers from Australia - Yuma Decaux and Jake Dean. Decaux lost his vision 10 years ago in an accident. He says that a person who is blind only knows that there is something called outer space around them, but not what the experience is like. He says Astreos works on a spatial understanding.
This app has already helped me. I believe it will be helpful to thousands of other blind people as well- Yuma Decaux, Co-founder, Astreos App.
Astreos app follows NASA's horizon system. With this, they can track thousands of constellations in the sky. The app can give the user a feeling of where all of these are located using sound and tactile dimensions. The 3D audio environment makes it an exciting experiment.
Amar Jain, a visually impaired corporate lawyer, says this is yet another instance of how Artificial Intelligence has helped blind people in many ways.
"I am definitely going to download it once its launched. It would be even more interesting for young blind kids who are interested in astrophysics and space. They can get a better insight about how our outer space is. Usually when people talks about the weather being cloudy or some planet being evident from Earth, blind people cannot experience it. Sounds like, this new app can help!"
Makers of Astreos are working on enhancing the experience for users. They plan to make it more smaller and interesting. They have approached experts in the field for a detailed insight. Astreos will be launched by the end of 2018.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 This Mumbai sports academy for disabled kids brings a spring to the steps & a smile
- Employment December 12, 2018 Visual impairment is no barrier to a successful career. Here are some tips
- Headlines December 11, 2018 RBI Governor Urjit Patel resigns
- Headlines December 16, 2018 Three terrorists & seven civilians killed at encounter in Jammu & Kashmir
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Come 16 December, Bengaluru will host a car rally for awareness on autism
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some benefits of yoga for children with autism
- Technology December 10, 2018 Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
- Headlines December 11, 2018 Farmer sells 2,000-kg onion for 6/-, sends money to top politician
- Events December 13, 2018 6th India International Deaf film festival 2019
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018