This school in Ahmedabad brings rays of sunshine to children with disabilities
September 19, 2018
Personalized attention and care can make a big difference in the life of a child with a disability. This is not a need something that many schools are able to meet for want of facilities, like teachers and technology.
A gap that Anoora Learning Center for Special Kids in Ahmedabad is trying to fill. The school has 19 disabled children with 19 teachers, dedicated to giving one on one attention.
The founders are Dr Harshal Brahmbhatt and Dr Devraj Trivdei, both occupational therapists with over a decade's experience of working with children with disabilities.
We know of many organizations and schools that reach out to children with learning disabilities. But there are hardly any that provide quality education. Children with learning disabilities require special attention. They need to have an eye to eye contact with their instructor during the entire time of training. Only then do they grasp things better. - Dr. Harshal Brahmbhatt, Co-founder, Anoora.
Anoora's approach is dual. It uses group activities and personalized attention to reach out to the children. There are therapy sessions designed to meet a child's developmental needs.
Anoora reaches out to kids with autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), cerebral palsy, Down syndrome and dyslexia. They claim that their one on one approach yields effective results.
There is a fixed fee charged from students, but those who cannot afford to pay are not turned away. Anoora helps them out with sponsorships from donors. Currently there are three children who are being helped out in this way.
Every attempt is made to ensure transparency. "We have CCTV cameras installed across the campus. Every month, we call parents to our school and show them what their child does here. This way the parents feel secure about their child", says Dr Brahmbhatt."
Anoora is the first school to affiliated to the Gujarat government. A recognition taht has helped the school to reach out to more children.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Events April 15, 2019 NALS Adventure Camp
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 This programme claims to empower kids with developmental disorders through virtual training
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News