This school in Ahmedabad brings rays of sunshine to children with disabilities
Personalized attention and care can make a big difference in the life of a child with a disability. This is not a need something that many schools are able to meet for want of facilities, like teachers and technology.
A gap that Anoora Learning Center for Special Kids in Ahmedabad is trying to fill. The school has 19 disabled children with 19 teachers, dedicated to giving one on one attention.
The founders are Dr Harshal Brahmbhatt and Dr Devraj Trivdei, both occupational therapists with over a decade's experience of working with children with disabilities.
We know of many organizations and schools that reach out to children with learning disabilities. But there are hardly any that provide quality education. Children with learning disabilities require special attention. They need to have an eye to eye contact with their instructor during the entire time of training. Only then do they grasp things better. - Dr. Harshal Brahmbhatt, Co-founder, Anoora.
Anoora's approach is dual. It uses group activities and personalized attention to reach out to the children. There are therapy sessions designed to meet a child’s developmental needs.
Anoora reaches out to kids with autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), cerebral palsy, Down syndrome and dyslexia. They claim that their one on one approach yields effective results.
There is a fixed fee charged from students, but those who cannot afford to pay are not turned away. Anoora helps them out with sponsorships from donors. Currently there are three children who are being helped out in this way.
Every attempt is made to ensure transparency. "We have CCTV cameras installed across the campus. Every month, we call parents to our school and show them what their child does here. This way the parents feel secure about their child", says Dr Brahmbhatt."
Anoora is the first school to affiliated to the Gujarat government. A recognition taht has helped the school to reach out to more children.
Watch in Sign Language
- This Bengaluru school is empowering women with disabilities for the job market
December 18, 2018
- How a trek led to the start of a larger journey - My Take by P Devendra, Founder, Nayan Foundation
December 18, 2018
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Election results from 5 states, massive disappointment for BJP
- Headlines December 16, 2018 Three terrorists & seven civilians killed at encounter in Jammu & Kashmir
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
- Accessibility December 18, 2018 Chennai's largest inclusive children's playground has something unique for everyone
- Headlines December 12, 2018 United Kingdom court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India
- Events December 12, 2018 Planet Abled Barrier Free Skiing Adventure 2019
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 This Mumbai sports academy for disabled kids brings a spring to the steps & a smile
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Shaktikanta Das to succeed Urjit Patel as RBI governor
- Headlines December 17, 2018 P V Sindhu makes history, becomes 1st Indian to win BWF World Tour title
- Employment December 15, 2018 Staff from schools for disabled kids protest against government apathy in Kerala
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018