Chennai college students join in celebrations for Learning Disability Week
September 20, 2018
The Sankalp Special School was filled with the sounds of laughter and happiness as over 60 students from Chennai's Stella Maris College in Chennai joined hands with disabled children to paint walls, staircases and pillars at the Sankalp centre.
The school children had a ball experimenting with colours and exploring new art works.
The first week of October is observed as Learning Disability Week. Many NGOs and schools across India are organizing events to create creating awareness about various kinds of learning disabilities.
Students of Stella Maris wanted to do their bit to show support for the cause. So they decided to add some colour as well. Last year too, students from the college had joined hands with Sankalp. Prominent paints company Berger Paints had provided them with some beautiful paint colours too.
This time, we did it on our own without any sponsors. Our children had a great time this year as well. We brought different colours of paints and brushes. When our children mingle with the college students, it boosts their confidence and self-esteem. Also, they show their parents the works that they painted on the wall with so much pride- Subhashini Rao, Founder, Sankalp.
Sankalp believes that such activities help in improving bilateral coordination and the well-being of children. It even gives them a sense of goodness!
"This activity is definitely great. Apart from helping our students, these colours add more vibrancy and beauty to our building as well", says Subhashini.
There is no doubt that the children at Sankalp and the college students produced some remarkable artworks inside the campus.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 This programme claims to empower kids with developmental disorders through virtual training
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News