Chennai college students join in celebrations for Learning Disability Week
September 20, 2018
The Sankalp Special School was filled with the sounds of laughter and happiness as over 60 students from Chennai's Stella Maris College in Chennai joined hands with disabled children to paint walls, staircases and pillars at the Sankalp centre.
The school children had a ball experimenting with colours and exploring new art works.
The first week of October is observed as Learning Disability Week. Many NGOs and schools across India are organizing events to create creating awareness about various kinds of learning disabilities.
Students of Stella Maris wanted to do their bit to show support for the cause. So they decided to add some colour as well. Last year too, students from the college had joined hands with Sankalp. Prominent paints company Berger Paints had provided them with some beautiful paint colours too.
This time, we did it on our own without any sponsors. Our children had a great time this year as well. We brought different colours of paints and brushes. When our children mingle with the college students, it boosts their confidence and self-esteem. Also, they show their parents the works that they painted on the wall with so much pride- Subhashini Rao, Founder, Sankalp.
Sankalp believes that such activities help in improving bilateral coordination and the well-being of children. It even gives them a sense of goodness!
"This activity is definitely great. Apart from helping our students, these colours add more vibrancy and beauty to our building as well", says Subhashini.
There is no doubt that the children at Sankalp and the college students produced some remarkable artworks inside the campus.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Events June 11, 2019 Maximising Progress in Autism
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
- Events June 13, 2019 Decoding Dementia
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Kerala cops, Interpol join hands to fight child abuse
- Headlines June 17, 2019 More deaths due to encephalitis in Bihar
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Celebrate Autism Pride Day, every day
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News