Chennai college students join in celebrations for Learning Disability Week
The Sankalp Special School was filled with the sounds of laughter and happiness as over 60 students from Chennai's Stella Maris College in Chennai joined hands with disabled children to paint walls, staircases and pillars at the Sankalp centre.
The school children had a ball experimenting with colours and exploring new art works.
The first week of October is observed as Learning Disability Week. Many NGOs and schools across India are organizing events to create creating awareness about various kinds of learning disabilities.
Students of Stella Maris wanted to do their bit to show support for the cause. So they decided to add some colour as well. Last year too, students from the college had joined hands with Sankalp. Prominent paints company Berger Paints had provided them with some beautiful paint colours too.
This time, we did it on our own without any sponsors. Our children had a great time this year as well. We brought different colours of paints and brushes. When our children mingle with the college students, it boosts their confidence and self-esteem. Also, they show their parents the works that they painted on the wall with so much pride- Subhashini Rao, Founder, Sankalp.
Sankalp believes that such activities help in improving bilateral coordination and the well-being of children. It even gives them a sense of goodness!
"This activity is definitely great. Apart from helping our students, these colours add more vibrancy and beauty to our building as well", says Subhashini.
There is no doubt that the children at Sankalp and the college students produced some remarkable artworks inside the campus.
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
- Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
February 17, 2019
- #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
- Headlines February 10, 2019 Arun Jaitley back in India after treatment
- Events February 12, 2019 Empowering for Inclusion Summit 2019
- Accessibility February 11, 2019 Citizen activism pays off, gurdwara in East Delhi takes steps to make worship accessible for all
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Events February 12, 2019 World Women's Day
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Teen art prodigy Ansh's stunning watercolours show maturity, individuality
- Employment February 10, 2019 Program by DFID-UK, SCPwD & National Star College-UK equips trainers with strategies to promote workplace inclusion
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Understanding Rare Diseases
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Disabled people are routine targets of abuse by Indian politicians despite laws banning this
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 14, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News