Chennai college students join in celebrations for Learning Disability Week
September 20, 2018
The Sankalp Special School was filled with the sounds of laughter and happiness as over 60 students from Chennai's Stella Maris College in Chennai joined hands with disabled children to paint walls, staircases and pillars at the Sankalp centre.
The school children had a ball experimenting with colours and exploring new art works.
The first week of October is observed as Learning Disability Week. Many NGOs and schools across India are organizing events to create creating awareness about various kinds of learning disabilities.
Students of Stella Maris wanted to do their bit to show support for the cause. So they decided to add some colour as well. Last year too, students from the college had joined hands with Sankalp. Prominent paints company Berger Paints had provided them with some beautiful paint colours too.
This time, we did it on our own without any sponsors. Our children had a great time this year as well. We brought different colours of paints and brushes. When our children mingle with the college students, it boosts their confidence and self-esteem. Also, they show their parents the works that they painted on the wall with so much pride- Subhashini Rao, Founder, Sankalp.
Sankalp believes that such activities help in improving bilateral coordination and the well-being of children. It even gives them a sense of goodness!
"This activity is definitely great. Apart from helping our students, these colours add more vibrancy and beauty to our building as well", says Subhashini.
There is no doubt that the children at Sankalp and the college students produced some remarkable artworks inside the campus.
Watch in Sign Language
- Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
August 23, 2019
- Some fun things to do in your city this weekend 24 Aug-25 Aug
August 23, 2019
- Wheelchair users in Kochi rally together under the banner Kochi Wheelchair Koottayma
August 23, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports August 20, 2019 “Never give up, live life to the fullest”- My Take by triple amputee & Trekker Sekhar Goud
- Events August 21, 2019 Workshop on Nayi Disha Resource Library
- Technology August 22, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Prashant Gade wins Universal Design Award 2019 for Inali Arm
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Kamal Nath’s nephew arrested for fraud
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Alleged sexual harassment of child with autism in Kerala highlights need for tougher rules
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Heavy rains bring down temperatures in Delhi
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Kerala nun seeks justice from the Vatican
- Technology August 20, 2019 New robots to assist sportspersons at 2020 Tokyo Paralympics
- Get-Hooked August 21, 2019 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
- Headlines August 17, 2019 Karnataka boy felicitated for bravery
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-Hooked August 20, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News