Chennai college students join in celebrations for Learning Disability Week
The Sankalp Special School was filled with the sounds of laughter and happiness as over 60 students from Chennai's Stella Maris College in Chennai joined hands with disabled children to paint walls, staircases and pillars at the Sankalp centre.
The school children had a ball experimenting with colours and exploring new art works.
The first week of October is observed as Learning Disability Week. Many NGOs and schools across India are organizing events to create creating awareness about various kinds of learning disabilities.
Students of Stella Maris wanted to do their bit to show support for the cause. So they decided to add some colour as well. Last year too, students from the college had joined hands with Sankalp. Prominent paints company Berger Paints had provided them with some beautiful paint colours too.
This time, we did it on our own without any sponsors. Our children had a great time this year as well. We brought different colours of paints and brushes. When our children mingle with the college students, it boosts their confidence and self-esteem. Also, they show their parents the works that they painted on the wall with so much pride- Subhashini Rao, Founder, Sankalp.
Sankalp believes that such activities help in improving bilateral coordination and the well-being of children. It even gives them a sense of goodness!
"This activity is definitely great. Apart from helping our students, these colours add more vibrancy and beauty to our building as well", says Subhashini.
There is no doubt that the children at Sankalp and the college students produced some remarkable artworks inside the campus.
Watch in Sign Language
- This Bengaluru school is empowering women with disabilities for the job market
December 18, 2018
- How a trek led to the start of a larger journey - My Take by P Devendra, Founder, Nayan Foundation
December 18, 2018
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 17, 2018 P V Sindhu makes history, becomes 1st Indian to win BWF World Tour title
- Headlines December 13, 2018 India vs Australia - Prithvi Shaw will miss second Test
- Accessibility December 17, 2018 Ezy Mov, the wheelchair taxi service, makes Accessible Goa a reality
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Miracle on Wheels is transforming lives of thousands of wheelchair users in India
- Employment December 15, 2018 Staff from schools for disabled kids protest against government apathy in Kerala
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some benefits of yoga for children with autism
- Headlines December 16, 2018 13 miners in Meghalaya feared dead, search operations on
- Events December 17, 2018 Hindi play to raise funds for Disabled Children
- Headlines December 18, 2018 New Madhya Pradesh CM waives off farmers' loan after taking charge
- Parasports December 17, 2018 Nothing stops this blind cricketer from batting for inclusion into IPL
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 10, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018