Outrage builds over Union Minister Babul Supriyo's shocking behaviour towards disabled person
September 20, 2018
Union Minister Babul Supriyo is known for his abrasive statements. But this time he has gone too far.
At an event in Asansol in West Bengal held to distribute wheelchairs and other assistive devices to people with disabilities, Supriyo lost his temper and issued a shocking threat to someone present at the function. The minister apparently got angry because the man was shifting in his chair.
In a video that has been widely shared, Supriyo can be seen telling the man - "What happened to you? Any problem? I can break one of your legs and can give you a crutch."
The minister then went on to order his security men to break the man's leg and hand him a crutch if he moved again. He even asked the audience to applaud for the man.
The behaviour has been condemned strongly by leading disability rights activist, Dr Satendra Singh, who points out that this is not the first minister in the present government to issues such threats against people with disabilities.
The Modi govt has passed this landmark legislation however its ministers continues to flaunt the legislation. A day after the implementation of RPWD Act, Uttar Pradesh cabinet minister Satyadev Pachauri insulted a disabled employee in Lucknow in which I filed the first ever complaint under the new disability act. Now its Babul Supriyo. The government needs to walk the talk and they should take action against the erring minister if they really believe in sabka saath, sabka vikas. - Dr Satendra Singh, Disability rights activist
The behaviour has attracted angry reactions on social media as well. One person tweeted: "A sitting BJP MP threatens extreme violence on a vulnerable person why is he not ARRESTED @BJP4India." Another person said, "He should be Govt's Recovery Agent, breaking people legs and recovering the loan amount from them."
What is worse is the total lack of regret shown by the Union Minister, who described it as "light-hearted humour".
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Education June 10, 2019 Kidsville Educational Academy offers a shoulder to children with disabilities, & families too
- Headlines June 11, 2019 Rich tributes paid to veteran actor Girish Karnad
- Events June 11, 2019 Golden Eye Chef 2019
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 Tyre maker Goodyear partners with NAB to conduct road safety training in Delhi for blind people
- Get-hooked June 10, 2019 Budding poet Neerada uses words to shatter notions about autism
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News