Check out these 5 signs of hearing loss in children
Some hearing losses are acquired during birth, while others happen gradually during the course of one’s lifetime. Most times, parents tend to overlook their children’s hearing capacity. They think that the child is not paying attention. Hence, they do not hear. But if treated on time, certain hearing losses can be avoided in children.
Vijayalakshmi Pola realized her daughter Jyothika was deaf when she was three months old.
When a baby is three to six months, they must be able to hear sounds and look into directions from where the sounds come. By nine months, the baby will listen to sounds and assimilate them. Usually deaf children try and listen to other things. But since they cannot, they ignore it. Gradually, they tend to ignore sounds around them and that becomes normal to them. They just do not want to hear anything. Parents must identify and get treatment for children if they are deaf- Vijayalakshmi Pola, Parent to a deaf child
Azra Fatima, Principal, Greens Special School reaches out to deaf children and their parents every day.
“Early intervention is extremely important. Today, there are many centres that help out in this. Identify them and take your child to the right place. Some children take up to four years to talk. Parents must make use of technology and help their child as much as possible”, says Fatima.
Here are some ways to identify hearing loss in children. If your child experiences any of this, make sure that you visit a doctor before it’s too late.
- Most times, babies and young children come to you when their name is called. If that does not happen, don't mistake it for carelessness. Chances are higher that the child did not hear you.
- In some cases, the child might be able to hear in one ear but not the other. There are cases of partial hearing loss too.
- Many children are lost in their own world and tend to ignore a lot of things that their parents ask them to do. Hence, parents ignore when a child with low hearing does not follow their instructions. Do not ignore it when they do this.
- When we talk with our headphones on, we tend to hear only our voice. We think no one else can hear. A child who has a hearing problem tends to talk louder than usual. Do not ignore this symptom.
- Childhood is all about asking questions, knowing new things and exploring. Hence, when a child with hearing problems keep repeating questions parents ignore that thinking it is normal.
Most importantly, you must get your infant treated for all kinds of health problems. They need regular check-up. Do not ignore the health of their ears when you visit the doctor.
Watch in Sign Language
- This Bengaluru school is empowering women with disabilities for the job market
December 18, 2018
- How a trek led to the start of a larger journey - My Take by P Devendra, Founder, Nayan Foundation
December 18, 2018
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports December 13, 2018 Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
- Events December 17, 2018 All India Seventh Across Disability Matrimonial Get Together
- Headlines December 15, 2018 India vs Australia - Decision to drop Jadeja criticised
- Education December 14, 2018 Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
- Headlines December 17, 2018 Indian skipper Virat Kohli strikes 25th test hundred against Australia in style
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 Get set for an explosion of art & culture in accessible forms at the Serendipity Arts Festival
- Parasports December 18, 2018 Para athletes see opportunities in Citi-International Paralympic Committee partnership
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Abuse at therapy centres in Kerala under scanner again, government promises redressal
- Accessibility December 18, 2018 Chennai's largest inclusive children's playground has something unique for everyone
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Miracle on Wheels is transforming lives of thousands of wheelchair users in India
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 8, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018