Check out some cool, accessible places to hang out this weekend in Bengaluru
The weather in Bengaluru is ideal for an outing. So if you are looking for a hip and happy place to hang out this weekend, here are some options that are accessible.
Popularly known as the Garden City, Bengaluru has beautiful green parks, trendy restaurants and great shopping options. Until a few years, not many of them were accessible. That has changed thanks to people like Prateek Khandelwal.
Prateek is the man who spearheaded the campaign #Rampmycity on Twitter to ensure restaurants made their premises accessible for people with disabilities. Moved by his request, many restaurants took steps to ensure wheelchair users could access them easily.
Right now, 15 popular restaurants in the city have been made accessible. Their staff have been trained to handle wheelchairs. So if a disabled person has plans to go to a restaurant, just look up where you would love to head to! According to government rules, all malls in Bengaluru are already accessible - Prateek Khandelwal, Founder, #Rampmycity
Like many youngsters, Madhurani, who works in the hospitality sector, loves to spend the weekend outdoors. She believes Bengaluru is the right place for wheelchair users like her.
“All the malls that I have been to are accessible. There are a few temples, hospitals and parks that are disabled-friendly as well. One just needs to check in advance before planning for a trip. I have hardly faced any hardships in this city", she says.
Are you a wheelchair user who is looking for some weekend fun options? Here are some ideas to consider.
- Malls - Government rules state that all malls in Bengaluru must be made accessible from the construction stage itself. Some popular destinations for wheelchair users are Forum Mall in Kormangala, Orion and Mantri in Malleswaram and City Centre in JP Nagar.
- Restaurants - Farzi Cafe at UB city, Big Brewsky at Sarjapur Road, Soda Bottle Openerwala and Lady Baga at Lavelle Road are some great options for drinks and food.
- Parks - Bengaluru’s most popular Cubbon Park is accessible to disabled people. As is Lal Bagh.
Are there any other popular options for wheelchair users in Bengaluru? If yes, tell us! Write to us at email@example.com.
Watch in Sign Language
- Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
December 10, 2018
- Disability rights leader Satendra Singh challenges move to close probe into harassment faced during train travel
December 9, 2018
- Bengaluru’s Namma Pride gets a thumbs up for its accessibility features
December 9, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events December 9, 2018 Mumbai Memory Cafe
- Get-hooked December 6, 2018 Activities that can be fun & stimulating for kids with dyspraxia
- Get-hooked December 5, 2018 Fun, meaningful ways that World Disability Day was celebrated across India
- Technology December 10, 2018 Bengaluru meet brings together key stakeholders working on indigenous assistive tech solutions
- Accessibility December 9, 2018 Bengaluru’s Namma Pride gets a thumbs up for its accessibility features
- Accessibility December 4, 2018 Big Bazaar leads the way with a Quiet Hour for shoppers on the autism spectrum, a World Disability Day special
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Resolving 26/11 Mumbai attacks is in Pakistan's interest, says Imran Khan
- Get-hooked December 6, 2018 Disability Heroes - Neha Agarwal is opening corporate India’s eyes to the AB-ility in disability
- Employment December 3, 2018 Hyderabad meet looks at ways to use tech to enable disabled people at the workplace
- Headlines December 4, 2018 Jet Airways cancels 14 flights as pilots didn’t show up for work
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News