Check out some cool, accessible places to hang out this weekend in Bengaluru
The weather in Bengaluru is ideal for an outing. So if you are looking for a hip and happy place to hang out this weekend, here are some options that are accessible.
Popularly known as the Garden City, Bengaluru has beautiful green parks, trendy restaurants and great shopping options. Until a few years, not many of them were accessible. That has changed thanks to people like Prateek Khandelwal.
Prateek is the man who spearheaded the campaign #Rampmycity on Twitter to ensure restaurants made their premises accessible for people with disabilities. Moved by his request, many restaurants took steps to ensure wheelchair users could access them easily.
Right now, 15 popular restaurants in the city have been made accessible. Their staff have been trained to handle wheelchairs. So if a disabled person has plans to go to a restaurant, just look up where you would love to head to! According to government rules, all malls in Bengaluru are already accessible - Prateek Khandelwal, Founder, #Rampmycity
Like many youngsters, Madhurani, who works in the hospitality sector, loves to spend the weekend outdoors. She believes Bengaluru is the right place for wheelchair users like her.
“All the malls that I have been to are accessible. There are a few temples, hospitals and parks that are disabled-friendly as well. One just needs to check in advance before planning for a trip. I have hardly faced any hardships in this city", she says.
Are you a wheelchair user who is looking for some weekend fun options? Here are some ideas to consider.
- Malls - Government rules state that all malls in Bengaluru must be made accessible from the construction stage itself. Some popular destinations for wheelchair users are Forum Mall in Kormangala, Orion and Mantri in Malleswaram and City Centre in JP Nagar.
- Restaurants - Farzi Cafe at UB city, Big Brewsky at Sarjapur Road, Soda Bottle Openerwala and Lady Baga at Lavelle Road are some great options for drinks and food.
- Parks - Bengaluru’s most popular Cubbon Park is accessible to disabled people. As is Lal Bagh.
Are there any other popular options for wheelchair users in Bengaluru? If yes, tell us! Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Watch in Sign Language
- Wheelchair taxi service Ezy Mov is set to go places
October 21, 2018
- Mumbai bookstore Trilogy is helping to spread the word about Braille
October 19, 2018
- Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
October 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines October 16, 2018 Over 70 cases of Zika virus reported in Rajasthan
- Headlines October 20, 2018 Sabrimalai temple priests continue to block women's entry into temple
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh will now be known as Prayagraj
- Get-hooked October 20, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Leprosy Cured persons
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 Staying fit with a disability is easy, here are some tips
- Get-hooked October 21, 2018 Inclusion should begin early to build greater understanding & awareness, say experts
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 Sarbojonin in name only, not in practice - Guest column by Arita Acharjee & Annesha Dasgupta
- Headlines October 20, 2018 59 people dead as train runs them over in Amritsar
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 High time to bid goodbye to idioms that mock the disabled community
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 Dating a person with autism? Here are some things to keep in mind
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility October 21, 2018
Accessibility October 16, 2018
Accessibility October 15, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News