Check out some cool, accessible places to hang out this weekend in Bengaluru
September 22, 2018
The weather in Bengaluru is ideal for an outing. So if you are looking for a hip and happy place to hang out this weekend, here are some options that are accessible.
Popularly known as the Garden City, Bengaluru has beautiful green parks, trendy restaurants and great shopping options. Until a few years, not many of them were accessible. That has changed thanks to people like Prateek Khandelwal.
Prateek is the man who spearheaded the campaign #Rampmycity on Twitter to ensure restaurants made their premises accessible for people with disabilities. Moved by his request, many restaurants took steps to ensure wheelchair users could access them easily.
Right now, 15 popular restaurants in the city have been made accessible. Their staff have been trained to handle wheelchairs. So if a disabled person has plans to go to a restaurant, just look up where you would love to head to! According to government rules, all malls in Bengaluru are already accessible - Prateek Khandelwal, Founder, #Rampmycity
Like many youngsters, Madhurani, who works in the hospitality sector, loves to spend the weekend outdoors. She believes Bengaluru is the right place for wheelchair users like her.
"All the malls that I have been to are accessible. There are a few temples, hospitals and parks that are disabled-friendly as well. One just needs to check in advance before planning for a trip. I have hardly faced any hardships in this city", she says.
Are you a wheelchair user who is looking for some weekend fun options? Here are some ideas to consider.
- Malls - Government rules state that all malls in Bengaluru must be made accessible from the construction stage itself. Some popular destinations for wheelchair users are Forum Mall in Kormangala, Orion and Mantri in Malleswaram and City Centre in JP Nagar.
- Restaurants - Farzi Cafe at UB city, Big Brewsky at Sarjapur Road, Soda Bottle Openerwala and Lady Baga at Lavelle Road are some great options for drinks and food.
- Parks - Bengaluru's most popular Cubbon Park is accessible to disabled people. As is Lal Bagh.
Are there any other popular options for wheelchair users in Bengaluru? If yes, tell us! Write to us at email@example.com.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Don't play too safe with your money, look at ways to invest smartly
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 #AutismPower - Varun Sawant juggles multiple talents with great style
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 This programme claims to empower kids with developmental disorders through virtual training
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News