Prerna school in Hyderabad is empowering children with disabilities & their parents
September 22, 2018
Hyderabad is home to many schools for children with various kinds of disabilities. One of them is the Prerna Special School, founded in 2003 by Vijayalakshmi, mother to a child with multiple disabilities.
Given her own struggles in finding the right support, Vijayalakshmi decided to do her bit for others with disabled children. With the help of co-founder, Vijayakumar, Prerna was set up in the heart of Hyderabad city.
Children with various disabilities like autism, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy and even multiple disabilities are part of Prerna. Over 52 children are trained in vocational skills, behavioural modification, yoga, sports and even dance and music!
I believe that parents are the strongest pillars of support for a disabled child. When parents are confident and stands up for their disabled child, everything else falls in place for them. Things will only get better- Vijayalakshmi, Co-founder, Prerna Special School.
Even though the founders had to go through a few hardships while setting it up, the school is now reaching out to many disabled children. Their students were also selected to take part in the Special Olympics last year.
"Many parents tell us how difficult it is to manage their disabled child. Therefore we provide them counselling. Taking care of a disabled child can be tedious and with counselling parents are able to do a better job. This is good for the child too", says Vijayalakshmi.
Prerna aims to help out to more children in Hyderabad with the help of donors and kind-hearted people.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Gujarat on high alert for cyclone
- Headlines June 11, 2019 PM says Rahul yet to recover from poll loss
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Maldives confers Modi with highest honour
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
- Events June 11, 2019 Maximising Progress in Autism
- Accessibility June 11, 2019 A warrior in the cause of digital accessibility - My Take by Sai Bhagat
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Dhoni gets government support on gloves issue
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News