Prerna school in Hyderabad is empowering children with disabilities & their parents
Hyderabad is home to many schools for children with various kinds of disabilities. One of them is the Prerna Special School, founded in 2003 by Vijayalakshmi, mother to a child with multiple disabilities.
Given her own struggles in finding the right support, Vijayalakshmi decided to do her bit for others with disabled children. With the help of co-founder, Vijayakumar, Prerna was set up in the heart of Hyderabad city.
Children with various disabilities like autism, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy and even multiple disabilities are part of Prerna. Over 52 children are trained in vocational skills, behavioural modification, yoga, sports and even dance and music!
I believe that parents are the strongest pillars of support for a disabled child. When parents are confident and stands up for their disabled child, everything else falls in place for them. Things will only get better- Vijayalakshmi, Co-founder, Prerna Special School.
Even though the founders had to go through a few hardships while setting it up, the school is now reaching out to many disabled children. Their students were also selected to take part in the Special Olympics last year.
“Many parents tell us how difficult it is to manage their disabled child. Therefore we provide them counselling. Taking care of a disabled child can be tedious and with counselling parents are able to do a better job. This is good for the child too", says Vijayalakshmi.
Prerna aims to help out to more children in Hyderabad with the help of donors and kind-hearted people.
Watch in Sign Language
- This Bengaluru school is empowering women with disabilities for the job market
December 18, 2018
- How a trek led to the start of a larger journey - My Take by P Devendra, Founder, Nayan Foundation
December 18, 2018
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Praangan is meeting educational needs of children with disorders
- Headlines December 18, 2018 New Madhya Pradesh CM waives off farmers' loan after taking charge
- Events December 17, 2018 All India Seventh Across Disability Matrimonial Get Together
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Isha Ambani & Anand Piramal ties the knot at Ambani’s residence in Mumbai
- Events December 17, 2018 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
- Education December 14, 2018 Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Election results from 5 states, massive disappointment for BJP
- Headlines December 16, 2018 Three terrorists & seven civilians killed at encounter in Jammu & Kashmir
- Headlines December 15, 2018 India vs Australia - Decision to drop Jadeja criticised
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018