Prerna school in Hyderabad is empowering children with disabilities & their parents
Hyderabad is home to many schools for children with various kinds of disabilities. One of them is the Prerna Special School, founded in 2003 by Vijayalakshmi, mother to a child with multiple disabilities.
Given her own struggles in finding the right support, Vijayalakshmi decided to do her bit for others with disabled children. With the help of co-founder, Vijayakumar, Prerna was set up in the heart of Hyderabad city.
Children with various disabilities like autism, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy and even multiple disabilities are part of Prerna. Over 52 children are trained in vocational skills, behavioural modification, yoga, sports and even dance and music!
I believe that parents are the strongest pillars of support for a disabled child. When parents are confident and stands up for their disabled child, everything else falls in place for them. Things will only get better- Vijayalakshmi, Co-founder, Prerna Special School.
Even though the founders had to go through a few hardships while setting it up, the school is now reaching out to many disabled children. Their students were also selected to take part in the Special Olympics last year.
“Many parents tell us how difficult it is to manage their disabled child. Therefore we provide them counselling. Taking care of a disabled child can be tedious and with counselling parents are able to do a better job. This is good for the child too", says Vijayalakshmi.
Prerna aims to help out to more children in Hyderabad with the help of donors and kind-hearted people.
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
- Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
February 17, 2019
- #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Events February 12, 2019 Empowering for Inclusion Summit 2019
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Headlines February 11, 2019 SBI warns customers on ATM frauds
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 8, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News