Prerna school in Hyderabad is empowering children with disabilities & their parents
September 22, 2018
Hyderabad is home to many schools for children with various kinds of disabilities. One of them is the Prerna Special School, founded in 2003 by Vijayalakshmi, mother to a child with multiple disabilities.
Given her own struggles in finding the right support, Vijayalakshmi decided to do her bit for others with disabled children. With the help of co-founder, Vijayakumar, Prerna was set up in the heart of Hyderabad city.
Children with various disabilities like autism, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy and even multiple disabilities are part of Prerna. Over 52 children are trained in vocational skills, behavioural modification, yoga, sports and even dance and music!
I believe that parents are the strongest pillars of support for a disabled child. When parents are confident and stands up for their disabled child, everything else falls in place for them. Things will only get better- Vijayalakshmi, Co-founder, Prerna Special School.
Even though the founders had to go through a few hardships while setting it up, the school is now reaching out to many disabled children. Their students were also selected to take part in the Special Olympics last year.
"Many parents tell us how difficult it is to manage their disabled child. Therefore we provide them counselling. Taking care of a disabled child can be tedious and with counselling parents are able to do a better job. This is good for the child too", says Vijayalakshmi.
Prerna aims to help out to more children in Hyderabad with the help of donors and kind-hearted people.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 This programme claims to empower kids with developmental disorders through virtual training
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News