Some tips to make online shopping accessible for disabled people
September 25, 2018
In today's world, everything is available just a click away, especially shopping.You do not have to waste time in long queues or walk around to pick up what you want. They are all available online. However, many online retailers overlook the accessibility aspect of their websites. This is a mistake as they are losing out on a large number of customers!
I have felt that online shopping portals are very helpful. Everything is available in one website and you do not have to visit different shops. Just like anyone else, even I have had some bad experiences. But I feel services are getting better now. I live in a rural area. There are services this side as well! - Unni Maxx, Secretary, Thanal Paraplegic Welfare Society.
Here are a few things that online retailers need to look out for so that their disabled customers can have a great shopping experience.
- Create an inclusive user experience - Everybody loves shopping! Hence, retailers must ensure that all their services are disabled-friendly. To start with, make your customers service staff informed so when a disabled person calls to ask about something related to accessibility on your website, your staff does not sound confused!
- Description of images- We check out a product and its quality a lot of times before buying. So how does a blind person buy things online? There are many online stores that top in accessibility. Retailers must ensure that even blind customers can buy products without any hassles. This can be done easily by providing descriptions of images!
- Keep a tab on colour schemes- There are many people with low vision who are regular online customers. What kind of colours does the website use to cater to people with low vision?
- Get better captions for products- According to a survey, 85% people on Facebook watches videos without playing the audio. You must ensure that your products have better captions. Otherwise you are losing out on a lot of customers with and without disabilities.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Hygiene lessons for children with autism can be made fun, here's how
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Events April 18, 2019 EasterFest
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Don't play too safe with your money, look at ways to invest smartly
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Headlines April 13, 2019 SC to hear Modi biopic case on 15 April
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Jallianwalah Bagh massacre, people pay tribute
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News