Limited funds no barrier to providing disabled kids nothing less than the best
September 25, 2018
From an NGO that started off to support elderly people, Sneha Society for Rural Reconstruction in Nizamabad, Telangana, today reaches out to children with a range of disabilities.
Their target is to reach out children from economically backward families, who find it hardest to access opportunities and get left behind due to lack of awareness.
Sneha Society was founded in 1992 by a group of passionate social workers. The start was hard as they underwent many financial difficulties. That did not deter them and today they have a range of projects that reach out to kids with learning disabilities and visual disabilities, a school for deaf children, a charity eye hospital, an an inclusive education centre, to name just a few.
We have always faced a dearth of funds. Even though we are supposed to get government grants, the funds have not reached us till date- S Siddaiah, Social Worker & Secretary, Sneha Society
Today, over 300 children with disabilities are part of this NGO. They offer both residential and non-residential schooling systems. The struggle for funds remains, but Sneha Society continues to offer their services for free.
"When we started Sneha Society, we have gone through a lot of problems after trying to create awareness amongst public. Most of the parents were reluctant to send their children for studies, especially those from rural parts of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. There was a lot of social stigma attached. Our team organized many awareness campaigns and counselled parents. After 1995, when the Disabilities Act was introduced, things got better", says Siddaiah.
Sneha Society focuses on extracurricular activities, especially sports. They believe that with government support and donors they can reach out to more children with disabilities across Telangana.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
- Headlines June 11, 2019 PM says Rahul yet to recover from poll loss
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Outrage over Pakistani ad mocking Indian pilot
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Supreme Court orders release of arrested journalist
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Australia
- Employment June 17, 2019 #AutismPower - SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Ride
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News