Limited funds no barrier to providing disabled kids nothing less than the best
From an NGO that started off to support elderly people, Sneha Society for Rural Reconstruction in Nizamabad, Telangana, today reaches out to children with a range of disabilities.
Their target is to reach out children from economically backward families, who find it hardest to access opportunities and get left behind due to lack of awareness.
Sneha Society was founded in 1992 by a group of passionate social workers. The start was hard as they underwent many financial difficulties. That did not deter them and today they have a range of projects that reach out to kids with learning disabilities and visual disabilities, a school for deaf children, a charity eye hospital, an an inclusive education centre, to name just a few.
We have always faced a dearth of funds. Even though we are supposed to get government grants, the funds have not reached us till date- S Siddaiah, Social Worker & Secretary, Sneha Society
Today, over 300 children with disabilities are part of this NGO. They offer both residential and non-residential schooling systems. The struggle for funds remains, but Sneha Society continues to offer their services for free.
“When we started Sneha Society, we have gone through a lot of problems after trying to create awareness amongst public. Most of the parents were reluctant to send their children for studies, especially those from rural parts of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. There was a lot of social stigma attached. Our team organized many awareness campaigns and counselled parents. After 1995, when the Disabilities Act was introduced, things got better", says Siddaiah.
Sneha Society focuses on extracurricular activities, especially sports. They believe that with government support and donors they can reach out to more children with disabilities across Telangana.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked October 21, 2018 Inclusion should begin early to build greater understanding & awareness, say experts
- Get-hooked October 22, 2018 Children with autism find a ray of hope at Sunshine in Bengaluru
- Events October 22, 2018 Sixth National Conference on Inclusive Education
- Headlines October 23, 2018 Kerala nun rape case - Key witness found dead, foul play alleged
- Headlines October 20, 2018 Sabrimalai temple priests continue to block women's entry into temple
- Get-hooked October 20, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Leprosy Cured persons
- Accessibility October 19, 2018 Mumbai bookstore Trilogy is helping to spread the word about Braille
- Get-hooked October 19, 2018 This Bengaluru NGO looks to nature to improve the wellbeing of disabled kids
- Headlines October 18, 2018 Armed mobs attack women journalists near Sabrimala temple
- Headlines October 20, 2018 India take on West Indies in first of 5-match one day match series
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News