Support towards making Indian sign language official grows
September 25, 2018
Indian Sign language is getting a lot of attention. First, a petition was filed to make it an official language and now the Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment, Krishan Pal Singh Gurjar has promised to work towards making this happen.
Gurjar was responding to a demand from A S Narayanan, President, National Association of Deaf, who had asked that ISL be given official status.
Gurjar has promised to write to Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh in this regard.
While speaking at an event organized to celebrate the first International Day of Sign Languages, the minister spoke about the importance of sign language.
He said, "Sign language is a language of education, livelihood and integration for the hearing and speech impaired in society. "
National data from the 2011 census states that there are more than 50 lakh deaf people in India, Steps are being taken to ensure they are not left out say government authorities.
I have written to all central ministries and departments asking them to appoint a sign language interpreter for all official programmes so that no one is excluded because of lack of access to communication. - Shakuntala D Gamlin, Secretary, Department of Empowerment of PwD
Lack of enough sign language interpreters is also a major issue, say officials. The Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre was started in 2015 with the idea of creating a pool of people trained in sign languages. Officials hope to send students here to volunteer and become interpreters.
There is work underway to add add new words to the Indian Sign Language Dictionary that was released in March 2018. Presently the dictionary has 3,000 words and another 3,000 new words are expected to be added by March 2019.
The dictionary contains subtitled videos that cover sign language words from various categories such as legal, academic, medical and technical.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 What Good Are We? - Guest column by Arun Dua
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Calcutta High Court rules in favour of medical student with mental disorder who was denied admission
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Hygiene lessons for children with autism can be made fun, here's how
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 Strong links between diet & signs of autism, say experts
- Headlines April 11, 2019 IPL 2019 - MI Vs KXIP
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Get-hooked April 11, 2019 Visually impaired girls from Ahmedabad chosen to perform the garba at Rashtrapati Bhavan
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News