A deaf school in Kerala that does not use Indian Sign Language
September 26, 2018
There are many schools for deaf children that empower them to face a competitive world. They train children in basic computer skills and Indian Sign Language to enable them to communicate without difficulty.
There are schools that choose to do this through speech and language and not through sign.
Like the Amrita Speech and Hearing Impairment School at Thrissur in Kerala. The school was formed in the late 90s by a group of parents of deaf children. It was later taken over by the Amritanandamayi Math in 2005. Now, the school claims to be one of the few school in the state that works exclusively on speech and language for deaf children.
Sunil P has been working at the school for over 14 years. He has taught hundreds of deaf children and is extremely proud of his work.l.
We teach sounds using alphabets. So every day we have a two-hour session where our children explain what they did in the school on the previous day. With good practice, they become perfect- Sunil P, Senior Teacher, Amrita Speech and Hearing Impairment School.
The school teaches deaf children from 2 to 20 years of age. This government-aided school gives their children an annual exam every year. Certificates are based on marks obtained for exams and training sessions. There are many students from rural areas and economically backward families. All of them are provided education free of cost.
The school also organizes sports and cultural activities. Many students who passed out from the school are placed in companies.
"Technology and science has improved much that parents can even detect if their unborn baby has a disability. At our school, we try and take in children who are severely deaf. They need individual care and attention which we provide. If it is a mild deafness case, we ask parents to take them to a normal school", says Sunil.
The school has chosen it's own path towards inclusion. They believe they are guiding children into the competitive world with confidence and determination!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Events June 11, 2019 Maximising Progress in Autism
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Parenting Corner- Food Aversion and Autism
- Events June 13, 2019 Decoding Dementia
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan out of World Cup due to injury
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News