Find out how this Shillong school promotes inclusive education
September 28, 2018
The Jyoti Sroat Inclusive School aims to spread the light of inclusion and awareness among children. Started by the Bethany Society in north-east India, it is one of Shillong's best known schools.
Children, with and without disabilities, as well as those from poor backgrounds are taught here. There are early intervention and early education programmes for children. Almost 40% of the students here are disabled and they are studying in sections ranging from pre-primary to higher secondary.
We do not want to leave any stone unturned when it comes to creating a barrier-free institution. Every child is special. All of them deserve love, care, attention and partial free education. At Jyoti Sroat, we provide them just that. I must admit that we face a lot of challenges while trying to impart education to those with and without disabilities together. But we are focussed on that- Rosa W, Principal
Deaf and blind children, those with autism, cerebral palsy and learning disabilities are part of the school. The staff here is disabled as well, Many of their special educators have speech and visual impairments.
Jyoti Sroat claims to follow the universal design model where education is for all. It's an accessible campus with wheelchair ramps and Braille scriptures.
Apart from academics, children are introduced to arts and sports. They conduct workshops and meetings so that they can work in improving inclusion in education.
"All children, in spite of diverse needs, must be respected and given an equal place in our system. They must not be discriminated on the basis of anything", adds Rosa.
Watch in Sign Language
- Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
June 16, 2019
- Understanding Fibromyalgia
June 16, 2019
- Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
June 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
- Headlines June 11, 2019 PM says Rahul yet to recover from poll loss
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan out of World Cup due to injury
- Events June 12, 2019 Messengers on Cycles 2019: Cyclothon event
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Gujarat on high alert for cyclone
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News