Find out how this Shillong school promotes inclusive education
September 28, 2018
The Jyoti Sroat Inclusive School aims to spread the light of inclusion and awareness among children. Started by the Bethany Society in north-east India, it is one of Shillong's best known schools.
Children, with and without disabilities, as well as those from poor backgrounds are taught here. There are early intervention and early education programmes for children. Almost 40% of the students here are disabled and they are studying in sections ranging from pre-primary to higher secondary.
We do not want to leave any stone unturned when it comes to creating a barrier-free institution. Every child is special. All of them deserve love, care, attention and partial free education. At Jyoti Sroat, we provide them just that. I must admit that we face a lot of challenges while trying to impart education to those with and without disabilities together. But we are focussed on that- Rosa W, Principal
Deaf and blind children, those with autism, cerebral palsy and learning disabilities are part of the school. The staff here is disabled as well, Many of their special educators have speech and visual impairments.
Jyoti Sroat claims to follow the universal design model where education is for all. It's an accessible campus with wheelchair ramps and Braille scriptures.
Apart from academics, children are introduced to arts and sports. They conduct workshops and meetings so that they can work in improving inclusion in education.
"All children, in spite of diverse needs, must be respected and given an equal place in our system. They must not be discriminated on the basis of anything", adds Rosa.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Second voting phase-Key points
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 A session on managing your own career for people with visual impairments
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Over 200 dead in Sri Lanka blasts
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News