Find out how this Shillong school promotes inclusive education
The Jyoti Sroat Inclusive School aims to spread the light of inclusion and awareness among children. Started by the Bethany Society in north-east India, it is one of Shillong's best known schools.
Children, with and without disabilities, as well as those from poor backgrounds are taught here. There are early intervention and early education programmes for children. Almost 40% of the students here are disabled and they are studying in sections ranging from pre-primary to higher secondary.
We do not want to leave any stone unturned when it comes to creating a barrier-free institution. Every child is special. All of them deserve love, care, attention and partial free education. At Jyoti Sroat, we provide them just that. I must admit that we face a lot of challenges while trying to impart education to those with and without disabilities together. But we are focussed on that- Rosa W, Principal
Deaf and blind children, those with autism, cerebral palsy and learning disabilities are part of the school. The staff here is disabled as well, Many of their special educators have speech and visual impairments.
Jyoti Sroat claims to follow the universal design model where education is for all. It's an accessible campus with wheelchair ramps and Braille scriptures.
Apart from academics, children are introduced to arts and sports. They conduct workshops and meetings so that they can work in improving inclusion in education.
“All children, in spite of diverse needs, must be respected and given an equal place in our system. They must not be discriminated on the basis of anything”, adds Rosa.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Headlines February 11, 2019 SBI warns customers on ATM frauds
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Munambam Beach in Kerala all set to become disabled-friendly
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Priyanka Gandhi launches mega poll rally in U.P
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 17, 2019
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News