Indian wheelchair cricket team beat Pakistan to bring home trophy
India's wheelchair cricket team put up a spirited performance against Pakistan to win the recent bilateral series in Dubai.
This victory was made even sweeter by the fact that it was so decisive. India beat Pakistan, 3-0, and the players showed their skills in various departments like batting, bowling and fielding.
The 21-member Indian team with 14 players and coaches left for Dubai on 17 September. Team members met up in New Delhi for a one day training session together before flying to Dubai. The players were selected by the Wheelchair Cricket India (WCI).
Most of us knew each other since we have represented our states in matches. Until then, they were our opponents. But this time we played together for India. It was a great experience. - Shivaprasad S, Wheelchair cricketer
The event was held thanks to the support of sponsors as there was none forthcoming from the state governments and the Centre or the Board of Cricket Control of India (BCCI).
The players said they were overwhelmed by the love and support they received in Dubai. The three-day event had quite a number of Indian fans hooked.“We received so much love at Dubai", said Shivaprasad. "At the airport, Indians were shouting slogans and supporting us. But once we reached India, there was no warm welcome. Usually, when our cricket players come back after winning a match abroad, we shower them with so much love. I wonder why wheelchair cricket has to be sidelined. We take equal efforts”.
Wheelchair cricket was first founded in Pakistan and arrived in India a few years back. However, the popularity has clearly caught on and with some official support, could go places.
Watch in Sign Language
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
- Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Cherish your life with all its unique flaws and blessings- My Take by Sundari Sivasubbu, Author
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News