Vaani Deaf Children’s Foundation launches newsletters for deaf awareness
September 27, 2018
The Vaani Deaf Children Foundation is one of the most prominent NGOs working for deaf children in Bengaluru. Founded in 2005, Vaani has been empowering hundreds of deaf children from rural parts of Karnataka.
Now, it has launched something for promoting awareness about deafness amongst people in both rural and urban areas. It's a newsletter called Lakshana, something that you would not want to miss.
Lakshana was launched a few weeks ago and will be published every four months. The first issue was quote a hit with the deaf community.
During a field trip to Koppal, Karnataka, we saw a 75-year-old man reading Lakshana. Later he started talking to others about the news there. This is exactly what we aimed from the newsletter that more people in rural areas be made aware of deafness. - Bhavani Arumugham, Programs Head, Vaani Deaf Children's Foundation.
Lakshana is released in four languages, that include English, Kannada, Bengali and Hindi. Their first issue was focussed on early detection of deafness. Over 10,000 copies were handed out to different people, free of cost.
"We do case studies based on deafness. All the information that we gather is used for Lakshana. We hope this will reach out to people at the grassroots level", says Bhavani.
Want to grab a copy? Lakshana can be downloaded from the official website of Vaani.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Parasports June 18, 2019 ‘Keep striving until you achieve your goals’- My take by Vysakh SR
- Employment June 17, 2019 SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
- Headlines June 17, 2019 More deaths due to encephalitis in Bihar
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News