Vaani Deaf Children’s Foundation launches newsletters for deaf awareness
September 27, 2018
The Vaani Deaf Children Foundation is one of the most prominent NGOs working for deaf children in Bengaluru. Founded in 2005, Vaani has been empowering hundreds of deaf children from rural parts of Karnataka.
Now, it has launched something for promoting awareness about deafness amongst people in both rural and urban areas. It's a newsletter called Lakshana, something that you would not want to miss.
Lakshana was launched a few weeks ago and will be published every four months. The first issue was quote a hit with the deaf community.
During a field trip to Koppal, Karnataka, we saw a 75-year-old man reading Lakshana. Later he started talking to others about the news there. This is exactly what we aimed from the newsletter that more people in rural areas be made aware of deafness. - Bhavani Arumugham, Programs Head, Vaani Deaf Children's Foundation.
Lakshana is released in four languages, that include English, Kannada, Bengali and Hindi. Their first issue was focussed on early detection of deafness. Over 10,000 copies were handed out to different people, free of cost.
"We do case studies based on deafness. All the information that we gather is used for Lakshana. We hope this will reach out to people at the grassroots level", says Bhavani.
Want to grab a copy? Lakshana can be downloaded from the official website of Vaani.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Events April 15, 2019 NALS Adventure Camp
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News