Places where you can get a disability certificate in Maharashtra
It's a few days to 2 October when the RPWD 2016 Act comes into effect in Maharashtra.
This means people with disabilities can get disability certificates from more centres apart from government hospitals alone. They can approach district and sub-district level health authorities now. .
They will also be issued Aadhaar-linked ID cards from authorities as announced by the central government.
Until now disability certificates were only issued at the district level, which meant people had to travel from remote areas to get them.
The certificate is essential to avail of various government benefits, and having such few centres made it a challenge. Now this will hopefully change.
General and sub-district hospitals will now have the authority to give out the certificates making it more convenient for disabled people.
Most disabled persons had to travel from distant talukas to reach the government hospitals. They will be relieved now as they can get the certificates at the local level. - Nitin Stage, Deputy Commissioner (disability), Maharashtra
For the issuance of disability certificates, authorization will be given to around 72 government hospitals across the state at the district and taluka levels. This has been stated in a government resolution issued by the health department on 14 September.
• As per the government resolution, a medical board will be set up at each of these hospitals and it will be headed by the head of the institution and will have members from various specialties of medicines. In case specialists are not available, members would be appointed on a contract basis.
• At the district and general hospitals, civil surgeons will head the medical board.
• At the sub-district and rural hospital level, the medical superintendent will head the board and will also be the disability certificate issuing authority.
• At the main general civil government hospitals, the college dean will head the board and the medical superintendent will be member-secretary.
The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill, 2016 provides reservation in education and employment to people with 21 disabilities and also ensures protection against discrimination.
Watch in Sign Language
- Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
February 20, 2019
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Headlines February 20, 2019 Army kills 3 JeM terrorists in Pulwama
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 12, 2019
Get-hooked February 11, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News