Places where you can get a disability certificate in Maharashtra
September 27, 2018
It's a few days to 2 October when the RPWD 2016 Act comes into effect in Maharashtra.
This means people with disabilities can get disability certificates from more centres apart from government hospitals alone. They can approach district and sub-district level health authorities now. .
They will also be issued Aadhaar-linked ID cards from authorities as announced by the central government.
Until now disability certificates were only issued at the district level, which meant people had to travel from remote areas to get them.
The certificate is essential to avail of various government benefits, and having such few centres made it a challenge. Now this will hopefully change.
General and sub-district hospitals will now have the authority to give out the certificates making it more convenient for disabled people.
Most disabled persons had to travel from distant talukas to reach the government hospitals. They will be relieved now as they can get the certificates at the local level. - Nitin Stage, Deputy Commissioner (disability), Maharashtra
For the issuance of disability certificates, authorization will be given to around 72 government hospitals across the state at the district and taluka levels. This has been stated in a government resolution issued by the health department on 14 September.
- As per the government resolution, a medical board will be set up at each of these hospitals and it will be headed by the head of the institution and will have members from various specialties of medicines. In case specialists are not available, members would be appointed on a contract basis.
- At the district and general hospitals, civil surgeons will head the medical board.
- At the sub-district and rural hospital level, the medical superintendent will head the board and will also be the disability certificate issuing authority.
- At the main general civil government hospitals, the college dean will head the board and the medical superintendent will be member-secretary.
The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill, 2016 provides reservation in education and employment to people with 21 disabilities and also ensures protection against discrimination.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Celebrate Autism Pride Day, every day
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Education June 19, 2019 Parents, special educators group files RTI into status of inclusive education in Kerala
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News