Being blind is not a challenge but a powerful tool, says Chennai man who cleared UPSC
Bala Nagendran, the 27-year-old from Chennai, who cleared the UPSC exams this year, says that he made up his mind to become an IAS officer when he was seven years old.
Born 100% visually impaired, Bala has secured the 923rd rank at the all-India level. He said that he never felt that being blind was challenge, but that it was a powerful tool as it made him realize the importance of having inner-vision.
For Bala, the challenge lay in the fact that there were such few Braille books available for UPSC aspirants in the market. He had to get the books converted to Braille form, which was both time-consuming and costly. He used Google and ebooks to prepare for the exams.
Bala, who took the exams four time before he cleared it, says he never gave up on his dreams. His father, a retired soldier, drives a taxi to support the family while his mother is a home maker.
Watch in Sign Language
- Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
February 20, 2019
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Pakistani actors and artists banned by Indian film industry
- Get-hooked February 19, 2019 Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 63 government websites now accessible for disabled people, claims Centre. Not enough, says experts
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Get-hooked February 18, 2019 Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Parasports February 19, 2019 "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News