21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Muscular Dystrophy
As part of series on the 21 disabilities included under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (RPWD) Act, 2016, today we talk about Muscular Dystrophy (MD).
What is Muscular dystrophy
Muscular dystrophy is a group of diseases that cause weakness and loss of muscle mass. Muscles are soft tissues that help the body to move around. Stronger muscles mean a stronger body with better stamina. Muscular dystrophy weakens the muscles and affects the stamina, strength and functions of the body.
What causes MD
It has been found that defects in genes can cause Muscular Dystrophy. There are some genes that are responsible for making the proteins that protect muscle fibres from damage. When these genes are defective, muscles weaken and deteriorate over time.
Signs of MD
The most common sign is the slow weakening of muscles. The signs and symptoms can appear at different ages and in different muscle groups, depending on the type of muscular dystrophy.
Other signs of MD are:
• Frequent falls
• Difficulty rising from a lying or sitting up position
• Trouble running and jumping
• Improper gait, walking on the toes
• Large calf muscles
• Muscle pain and stiffness
• Learning disabilities
• Heart problems
Types of MD
Duchenne type muscular dystrophy
Becker muscular dystrophy
It is advisable to consult a doctor when you observe muscle weakness or have been clumsier, dropping things or falling yourself.
Watch in Sign Language
- Delhi to host Convention on 'Sexual Assaults on Women with Disabilities'
November 16, 2018
- Some tips to make learning fun for children with autism
November 16, 2018
- Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
November 15, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 10, 2018 Vijay’s ‘Sarkar’ enters Rs 100 Crore club amidst controversies
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away at age of 59
- Headlines November 16, 2018 School, colleges shut in parts of Tamil Nadu ahead of Cyclone Gaja
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Deepika and Ranveer want wedding guests to donate to charity
- Events November 15, 2018 BGFI's Accessible Tour to Mumbai Dockyard
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Prime Minister Modi launches projects over ₹2,400 crore in Varanasi
- Parasports November 16, 2018 Help blind athletes achieve their best by funding sighted guides, says blind Paralympian Ankur Dhama
- Accessibility November 15, 2018 Lack of clarity on revised admission norms leaves disabled students & parents groping in the dark
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Marvel Comics creator Stan Lee dies at 95
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Some activities for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked November 14, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News