21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Muscular Dystrophy
September 28, 2018
As part of series on the 21 disabilities included under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (RPWD) Act, 2016, today we talk about Muscular Dystrophy (MD).
What is Muscular dystrophy
Muscular dystrophy is a group of diseases that cause weakness and loss of muscle mass. Muscles are soft tissues that help the body to move around. Stronger muscles mean a stronger body with better stamina. Muscular dystrophy weakens the muscles and affects the stamina, strength and functions of the body.
What causes MD
It has been found that defects in genes can cause Muscular Dystrophy. There are some genes that are responsible for making the proteins that protect muscle fibres from damage. When these genes are defective, muscles weaken and deteriorate over time.
Signs of MD
The most common sign is the slow weakening of muscles. The signs and symptoms can appear at different ages and in different muscle groups, depending on the type of muscular dystrophy.
Other signs of MD are:
- Frequent falls
- Difficulty rising from a lying or sitting up position
- Trouble running and jumping
- Improper gait, walking on the toes
- Large calf muscles
- Muscle pain and stiffness
- Learning disabilities
- Heart problems
Types of MD
Duchenne type muscular dystrophy
Becker muscular dystrophy
It is advisable to consult a doctor when you observe muscle weakness or have been clumsier, dropping things or falling yourself.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 17, 2019 Understanding Inborn Errors of Metabolism
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Rahul Gandhi PM Modi over chowkidaar campaign
- Events March 20, 2019 Downs syndrome free assessment camp
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines March 15, 2019 Boeing 737 MAX 8 banned by several countries after 2nd crash in 5 months
- Get-hooked March 14, 2019 Learn valuable self-defense techniques at this session for disabled women in Mumbai
- Accessibility March 14, 2019 Court asks ministries to respond to PIL challenging separate ID cards for rail concessions for disabled people
- Headlines March 15, 2019 U.S warns China for blocking action on terrorist Masood Azhar
- Events March 19, 2019 Annual Seminar on Inclusion & Accessibility of Deaf
- Events March 20, 2019 Awareness Session on Prevention of Sexual Harassment at Workplace
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News