21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Muscular Dystrophy
As part of series on the 21 disabilities included under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (RPWD) Act, 2016, today we talk about Muscular Dystrophy (MD).
What is Muscular dystrophy
Muscular dystrophy is a group of diseases that cause weakness and loss of muscle mass. Muscles are soft tissues that help the body to move around. Stronger muscles mean a stronger body with better stamina. Muscular dystrophy weakens the muscles and affects the stamina, strength and functions of the body.
What causes MD
It has been found that defects in genes can cause Muscular Dystrophy. There are some genes that are responsible for making the proteins that protect muscle fibres from damage. When these genes are defective, muscles weaken and deteriorate over time.
Signs of MD
The most common sign is the slow weakening of muscles. The signs and symptoms can appear at different ages and in different muscle groups, depending on the type of muscular dystrophy.
Other signs of MD are:
• Frequent falls
• Difficulty rising from a lying or sitting up position
• Trouble running and jumping
• Improper gait, walking on the toes
• Large calf muscles
• Muscle pain and stiffness
• Learning disabilities
• Heart problems
Types of MD
Duchenne type muscular dystrophy
Becker muscular dystrophy
It is advisable to consult a doctor when you observe muscle weakness or have been clumsier, dropping things or falling yourself.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility January 18, 2019 Goa Carnival 2019 promises to be wheelchair accessible
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Changing lives of disabled people for the better, the Swabhiman way
- Events January 20, 2019 Deaf Awareness India- Guests Lecture
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Some things to not tell a disabled person when you meet online
- Get-hooked January 22, 2019 Wheelchair artists in Kerala to stage Chaya, 1st of its kind theatre performance
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Sports are ideal for children with autism. Here is how.
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Teen prodigy Satvik Sharma expresses himself through incredible works of art
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Fed up of delays in updated guidelines for disabled MBBS aspirants, activists approach minister
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Find a life partner at this disability matrimonial event
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Kerala government claims 51 women entered Sabarimala since last September
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked January 18, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News