Celebrating the many colours of Indian sign language
Around the world people marked the International Week of the Deaf in many ways, beginning with 23 September, which is the International Day of Sign Languages.
Through the week, Newz Hook brought to you stories of some amazing people and initiatives that celebrate the power of Indian Sign Language.
Like the team behind RH Films who are bringing power to their cinema through sign language.
Or the incredible story of Sangeeta Gala who has worked with top actors of the Hindi film industry.
Dance is a powerful and evocative medium, offering a unique mode of expression. Young dancers Avantika Bahl and Vishal Sarvaiya are bringing the two together is their production, Say, What?
Asianet News, one of the top news channels in the South made many people happy with its decision to carry bulletins in sign language through the day. This is a significant move, one that will hopefully become more widespread.
From the field of education, the wonderful stories of inclusion. Like Ruma Roka, who started a school and skilling centre for deaf children and youth. And Raymond D’Costa, a deaf trainer in Mumbai who teaches sign language in schools and to corporates.
Sign language can be a source of fun and learning as Rajen Nair, who teaches photography to deaf kids showed us.
It is also being used to bring stories alive in some enriching ways by the NGO Sanket Foundation.
Do you have stories to share about the power of sign language? Do write in to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Headlines February 14, 2019 Salman Khan’s ‘Bharat’ to have a multi-lingual release
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Accessibility February 19, 2019 Kerala government launches projects to empower visually impaired people
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News