Celebrating the many colours of Indian sign language
September 30, 2018
Around the world people marked the International Week of the Deaf in many ways, beginning with 23 September, which is the International Day of Sign Languages.
Through the week, Newz Hook brought to you stories of some amazing people and initiatives that celebrate the power of Indian Sign Language.
Like the team behind RH Films who are bringing power to their cinema through sign language.
Or the incredible story of Sangeeta Gala who has worked with top actors of the Hindi film industry.
Dance is a powerful and evocative medium, offering a unique mode of expression. Young dancers Avantika Bahl and Vishal Sarvaiya are bringing the two together is their production, Say, What?
Asianet News, one of the top news channels in the South made many people happy with its decision to carry bulletins in sign language through the day. This is a significant move, one that will hopefully become more widespread.
From the field of education, the wonderful stories of inclusion. Like Ruma Roka, who started a school and skilling centre for deaf children and youth. And Raymond D'Costa, a deaf trainer in Mumbai who teaches sign language in schools and to corporates.
Sign language can be a source of fun and learning as Rajen Nair, who teaches photography to deaf kids showed us.
It is also being used to bring stories alive in some enriching ways by the NGO Sanket Foundation.
Do you have stories to share about the power of sign language? Do write in to us at email@example.com.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
- Events June 17, 2019 Indian Freedom Struggle through a musical play
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News