Disabled people find their soulmates at ‘Swayamvara’ event in Chennai
October 2, 2018
On Sunday morning, the auditorium at Sree Geetha Bhavan was filled with giggles and laughter. Disabled people on wheelchair, callipers and crutches thronged the premises with their families. They were there to find their life partner. Thanks to the venture named 'Swayamvara', many disabled people now get to meet the right person to live their life with!
'Swayamvara' was started eight years back by Sree Geetha Bhavan Trust in Chennai. According to the organizers, government is working towards empowering disabled people in education and employment sectors. But when it comes to marriage, most of them are still waiting for the right one!
More than 200 disabled men and women participated in the 'Swayamvara' that was held on Sunday. 16 couples were selected. They will have to undergo a counselling session on 7 October where they will interact with psychologists, psychiatrists, lawyers, physician and also blood test experts. Once they are found fit to get married, a formal function will be held on 4 November. All the selected couples will get married by following traditional Hindu customs. Sree Geetha Bhavan Trust will provide them with gold and 'mangalsutras' as well.
We have many kind donors who support our venture. Thanks to them, we are going to keep doing this in years to come. We hope more disabled people will benefit from this and will find their true love- Santanakrishnan, Manager, Sree Geetha Bhavan Trust.
Organizers of Sree Geetha Bhavan Trust conducts the event in collaboration with Tamil Nadu Differently Abled Federation Charitable Trust. They are organizing events across 14 districts in Tamil Nadu. Till date, they have conducted over 400 marriages. All of them are living happily in different parts of India.
"Swayamvara is for disabled people from across India. We have had people from Andhra Pradesh, Telengana and Karnataka who participate in our event. Deaf and blind people, those with dwarfism, people on wheelchairs and even polio affected people register with us", says Santanakrishnan.
Love is a beautiful feeling. Being married to the right person who supports you through thick and thin is even more beautiful. Do you know a disabled person who is looking out for a soul mate? Suggest them to register with Sree Geetha Bhavan Trust. You never know where and how you meet the right one!
Watch in Sign Language
- Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
June 16, 2019
- Understanding Fibromyalgia
June 16, 2019
- Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
June 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
- Headlines June 11, 2019 PM says Rahul yet to recover from poll loss
- Headlines June 9, 2019 Imran Khan invites PM Modi for peace talks
- Get-hooked June 9, 2019 Understanding Bipolar Disorder
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Ride
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Dark Pheonix brings alive the magic of Stan Lee's superheroes yet again
- Employment June 12, 2019 Breast cancer detection training for blind women to be expanded to more Indian cities
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Mumbaikar Karan Shahh honoured with Bharat Prerna Award 2019
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Supreme Court orders release of arrested journalist
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News